Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Round 16 - Russia

After the race is before the race... It's two race weekends in a row!

image.png

Just now, nudge said:

After the race is before the race... It's two race weekends in a row!

image.png

God damnit, I'll be at Fortuna again and miss that one too :( Hopefully that means Seb will win again. 

13 minutes ago, Tommy said:

God damnit, I'll be at Fortuna again and miss that one too :( Hopefully that means Seb will win again. 

I'm really enjoying this competitive period where the differences between the top 3 teams are not that huge and it's hard to tell who'll do best every race. Ferrari have the power advantage and seem to have improved their chassis as well; sure Monza and Spa were always going to be Ferrari races to win and Singapore can be weird so it's really hard to know where everyone stands now. 

• Upvote 2

Be another close one this. Not too many slow corners and traction zones so Red Bull could struggle, but should be good through the final sector. Ferrari will go well with the two long straights and their chassis improvements. Think Mercedes could find themselves in a scrap again here, but still firmly in contention with a few more medium/high speed corners here than Singapore. 

I think it will be a Ferrari pole again but a Mercedes race win here.

So far, it appears that Singapore and Monaco are almost impossible to pass people on. 

How is Russia's track in terms of being able to pass? 

15 minutes ago, Eco said:

So far, it appears that Singapore and Monaco are almost impossible to pass people on. 

How is Russia's track in terms of being able to pass? 

It's better in terms of overtaking opportunities for sure. But I don't like that circuit in general. It's flat and boring...

30 minutes ago, nudge said:

It's better in terms of overtaking opportunities for sure. But I don't like that circuit in general. It's flat and boring...

So far, my favorite race has been Monza in terms of the track. SPA was probably 2nd. 

According to AMuS, Mercedes didn't have an ideal setup and had problems with the bumps and kerbs in Singapore. Similar to Red Bull, who had a complete wrong setup and wrong downforce level due to underestimating the bumps/kerbs as well. This is interesting if true as that could possibly mean that Ferrari's aero upgrades were made to look better by mistakes of both Mercedes & RB that left them underperforming. Could be just excuses though. It does make the build up to the next race quite exciting at any case!

48 minutes ago, Eco said:

So far, my favorite race has been Monza in terms of the track. SPA was probably 2nd. 

For me it's Spa - Suzuka - Monaco - Spielberg - CotA - Interlagos - Silverstone

Just curious why does Lewis always jump to the defense of Vettel? When Vettel is under attack Lewis always is the first to jump in and defend him. 

44 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Just curious why does Lewis always jump to the defense of Vettel? When Vettel is under attack Lewis always is the first to jump in and defend him. 

Real recognizes real. 

In all seriousness. Seb and Lewis have been in the sport together for a LONG time, travel the world together, are forced to spend time together. There is a bond between all the drivers, especially if they've been in the sport for such a long time together. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Real recognizes real. 

In all seriousness. Seb and Lewis have been in the sport together for a LONG time, travel the world together, are forced to spend time together. There is a bond between all the drivers, especially if they've been in the sport for such a long time together. 

Oh defending colleagues, oh careers together, oh friendship, oh strong-bonds, oh loyalty and compassion. 

Rain seems to be likely; especially for quali (based on current forecasts). 

I wonder if Honda introduces new engine upgrades and takes penalties here ahead of their home race in Suzuka. I know they're introducing new fuel in Sochi. Mercedes are rumoured to bring some new parts as well.

Finally some updates: Completely new PU for Kvyat so he'll start the race from the back of the grid. New ICEs for Max, Albon and Gasly so 5 place grid penalty for each of them. 

Could there he a chance that Merc have turned their engines down for a final season push?

FacTUDP.png

Looks like rain for both Saturday and Sunday afternoon! 

• Wow 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, nudge said:

Rain seems to be likely; especially for quali (based on current forecasts). 

I wonder if Honda introduces new engine upgrades and takes penalties here ahead of their home race in Suzuka. I know they're introducing new fuel in Sochi. Mercedes are rumoured to bring some new parts as well.

Might be raining all day in Sochi Saturday, isn't light rain either.

Just now, nudge said:

FacTUDP.png

Looks like rain for both Saturday and Sunday afternoon! 

Lol we both posted weather related posts at the same time.

• Haha 1

Another chaotic race like Hockenheim would be nice. Hulk on the podium :x please

Just now, Tommy said:

Another chaotic race like Hockenheim would be nice. Hunk on the podium :x please

O.o

4 minutes ago, MUFC said:

O.o

Well, he's kind of a hunk too, I guess. No homo.  

• Haha 1

Max tops FP2; looks good for RB so far. Ferrari at pretty much the same pace; Mercedes seem a bit slower but I'm sure they're sandbagging again.

Haven't checked the long runs yet though.

Ferrari really found some pace somewhere in the summer break. This is incredible xD Topping P3 again.

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

Ferrari really found some pace somewhere in the summer break. This is incredible xD Topping P3 again.

Other than increased downforce and other upgrades, tyres are seemingly a big reason. They finally learned how to keep them within working temps all the time and they're hitting the perfect tyre window. Pirelli also lowered the tyre pressure which helps them as well. 

Qualifying should be interesting. 6th to 16th were within less than 6 tenths in FP3. 

Albon crashed it. Quite a bit of damage at the rear of the car.