talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

New Teams Joining F1

football forum

• Subscriber

With more details emerging lately, I thought it's a good time to open a separate thread for the potential new entry in F1 in 2021.

According to the new article in RaceFans, the co-founder of Panthera Team (Benjamin Dourand; former SMP Racing and BR Engineering manager) confirmed that the team has secured support from Asian backers to enter the series in 2021 (China I take it?) and are already in talks with engine suppliers as well as potential title sponsors. They are apparently currently operating a temporary factory in the UK but the long-term plan is to have the team base in Asia and develop the car there. The goal of the founders of the team is to become a Williams-like independent constructor as opposed to a Haas-like semi-customer model. Earlier articles claimed that they already filled several senior positions including technical director and sporting director, though some of its staff are seeing out contracts with other teams. Its head of aerodynamics is Tim Milne, who has previous F1 experience from his time at Renault, Honda, Super Aguri, Toyota, Caterham and most recently Manor. 

https://www.racefans.net/2019/09/21/interview-panthera-on-their-plans-to-enter-a-new-f1-team-in-2021/

Sounds very exciting.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ukyo Katayama? 

Now in all seriousness. Sounds good. I'm always a bit careful with new teams, because we saw what happened to Caterham, Marussia (Virgin) etc. but Haas positively surprised me when they came along. Hopefully Panthera will be more of the same. 

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Now in all seriousness. Sounds good. I'm always a bit careful with new teams, because we saw what happened to Caterham, Marussia (Virgin) etc. but Haas positively surprised me when they came along. Hopefully Panthera will be more of the same. 

Yeah I hope this turns out to be a serious entry; certainly sounds good so far. I wonder who their alleged Asian backers are; I guess some Chinese most likely as it would fit well in the overall trend of their increased interest in motorsports as well as financial resources. 

• Subscriber

In all seriousness though, if they indeed entered F1 and decided to hire Asian drivers, there are a few promising upcoming ones.

Guanyou Zhou - Chinese, Renault junior
Ye Yifey - Chinese, no team affiliation (actually turned down numerous young driver programme offers from a few F1 teams), managed by Neel Jani
Yuki Tsunoda - Japanese, Red Bull Junior, backed by Honda
Teppei Natori - Japanese,  no team affiliation, Honda protege

Honda are really desperate to find the next F1 driver. Tsunoda will probably get a Toro Rosso seat in two years. Zhou is very promising and even if he's affiliated with Renault, he might find it hard to actually be given a seat in the team so might have to look at other options.

• Subscriber

Changed the thread title due to new rumours related to another new team starting circulating today.

It's a familiar name as well. Meet Campos Racing... In cooperation with Monaco Increase Management who released a statement to the press today about their intention to join Formula 1 in 2021. Apparently Campos CEO Salvatore Gandolfo and team founder Adrian Campos initiated the project, aligned with MIM, and have hired Peter McCool as Technical Director and Ben Wood as Chief Aerodynamicist. McCool spent time at the Honda-linked Super Aguri outfit in the mid-2000s while Wood has been Chief Aerodynamicist at Prost F1 and Mercedes.

More details: https://motorsportweek.com/news/id/24683

@Tommy will find this particularly interesting... because of the drivers they are being linked with. Well one of them actually haha. 

giphy.gif

:D 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Tommy said:

Would be awesome to see Pascal back on the grid. Never heard of that Palou guy. Hopefully they're serious about it, and not as half arsed as Hispania Racing (HRT) :ph34r:

Haha Campos Racing kind of is HRT :ph34r: Or at least HRT happened after Campos were not able to commit and sold the team. So yes - I'm also a bit skeptical but maybe it will work this time? They have done pretty well in junior series so with decent financial support they might be able to pull it off. Alex Peroni (the fella who had that awful airborne crash in F3 a while ago) drives for them and David Schumacher replaced him last race weekend :) Jack Aitken is doing well for them in F2.

Alex Palou? He was decent in F3 and lower series; not so much afterwards. Drives in Super Formula now. Don't really see him as an F1 driver and I doubt he'll have enough points for the superlicense anyway.

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Haha Campos Racing kind of is HRT :ph34r: Or at least HRT happened after Campos were not able to commit and sold the team. So yes - I'm also a bit skeptical but maybe it will work this time? They have done pretty well in junior series so with decent financial support they might be able to pull it off. Alex Peroni (the fella who had that awful airborne crash in F3 a while ago) drives for them and David Schumacher replaced him last race weekend :) Jack Aitken is doing well for them in F2.

Alex Palou? He was decent in F3 and lower series; not so much afterwards. Drives in Super Formula now. Don't really see him as an F1 driver and I doubt he'll have enough points for the superlicense anyway.

Wehrlein and Hülkenberg then :x

Yea, I know that Campos were behind HRT as well. How many seasons did they compete again? Two? I remember that Daniel Ricciardo had his debut with them. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Wehrlein and Hülkenberg then :x

Yea, I know that Campos were behind HRT as well. How many seasons did they compete again? Two? I remember that Daniel Ricciardo had his debut with them. 

You'd want Hülki driving for a backmarker? :35_thinking:

16 minutes ago, nudge said:

You'd want Hülki driving for a backmarker? :35_thinking:

Hmm not really, no. I want him in F1 badly, and I am a little bit more hopeless with every option that vanishes :( 

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Hmm not really, no. I want him in F1 badly, and I am a little bit more hopeless with every option that vanishes :( 

Patience... He'll either get a seat at RB or Ferrari in a few weeks time :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

Patience... He'll either get a seat at RB or Ferrari in a few weeks time :ph34r:

tumblr_o5eet6Fuzu1urli1fo2_250.gif

I'd have a few beers in his honour if that happens. Damn, I'd be so excited. I think Hülki may have been my favourite F1 driver after all :o

Just now, nudge said:

source.gif

:(  Na, it's still Seb! But it's close. If I go with tradition and have to choose someone from my area to identify with, it must be Hülkenberg. Emmerich isn't far. That's why I also liked Frentzen and Heidfeld, because they are from Mönchengladbach. 

I almost met Seb back in... I don't know, 2003, 2004? It was close. 

• Subscriber

:(  Na, it's still Seb! But it's close. If I go with tradition and have to choose someone from my area to identify with, it must be Hülkenberg. Emmerich isn't far. That's why I also liked Frentzen and Heidfeld, because they are from Mönchengladbach. 

I almost met Seb back in... I don't know, 2003, 2004? It was close. 

Hürth and Kerpen are even closer :ph34r:

Just now, nudge said:

Hürth and Kerpen are even closer :ph34r:

Nope. Mönchengladbach is like 30 km's away from here, and Kerpen is like 50 if I'm not mistaken. But they have a connection to a certain city called *öln :ph34r:xD

• Subscriber

Nope. Mönchengladbach is like 30 km's away from here, and Kerpen is like 50 if I'm not mistaken. But they have a connection to a certain city called *öln :ph34r:xD

I meant compared to Emmerich :P 

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

I meant compared to Emmerich :P 

Yea, that's true. I don't even know where that shithole is exactly. I know some trains go there from here. And I once saw a truck here that had "Hülkenberg Spedition" written on it. I didn't even know that his family had a career company before I saw that truck :o 

Archived