• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

EFL Cup - Third Round Matches - 24-25th September

football forum

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

We'll go out if we do cos i reckon Arsenal will come full strength. Could still beat them like but they'd have to play out of their skin bless'm xD

And if they do then no bother. If they go through then great, they get another game in the next round. Obviously if Shaqiri and Origi are fit then they would start

10 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

And if they do then no bother. If they go through then great, they get another game in the next round. Obviously if Shaqiri and Origi are fit then they would start

Yeah I agree. I agreed with you to start with, was just saying we'll go out (probably) xD

2 hours ago, Cicero said:

I love our youth. CHO with a superb finish to cap off a great performance 

2 hours ago, Pyfish said:

Didn't expect it to be 7. If I were a Chelsea fan, I'd be super excited about those youth players! 

Superb game of football from start to finish... can't fault any of them for effort, some of our speed and movement tonight was fantastic and great to CHO back in action... In the last 15-20 minutes every time we got forward there was a goal waiting to be scored and I don't joke when I say we could have had 3 or 4 more.. Credit to the Grimsby fans tonight who made themselves heard pretty much most of the game and thought the goal by Green to make it 2-1 was well taken.. 

When I look at our situation with all this youth coming through and getting chances and then look at how Spurs and United are doing currently with pretty much settled squads I feel pretty good about where we are at the moment and the vibe around the ground is positive... a blinding result

1 hour ago, Pyfish said:

A mixed evening for @Bluewolf who on one hand saw Chelsea win 7-1, but also loses AGAIN in the Gloryhunter competition :ph34r:

Yea, caught the result on the way home and had to laugh... It's almost a given now that when I get someone they are going to lose.. xD

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Cicero said:

When was the last time City got a difficult draw in a domestic competition? Genuine question. 

Arsenal in the semis in 2017. Hardly a tough draw though as the other options were Chelsea and Spurs so there was no chance of them not getting a big side. Got to go back to October 2016 where United beat them in the League Cup at Old Trafford, for the last time they drew a top six side when there was any chance they wouldn't.

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Superb game of football from start to finish... can't fault any of them for effort, some of our speed and movement tonight was fantastic and great to CHO back in action... In the last 15-20 minutes every time we got forward there was a goal waiting to be scored and I don't joke when I say we could have had 3 or 4 more.. Credit to the Grimsby fans tonight who made themselves heard pretty much most of the game and thought the goal by Green to make it 2-1 was well taken.. 

When I look at our situation with all this youth coming through and getting chances and then look at how Spurs and United are doing currently with pretty much settled squads I feel pretty good about where we are at the moment and the vibe around the ground is positive... a blinding result

If it wasn’t for McKeown our keeper, you’d have been in double figures for certain. He made some decent saves. The two early goals killed the game off really. Green and James get the awards for best goals of the game I’d say!

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Rick said:

Harvey Elliot looks really good for a 16 lad. That cross to Milner was brilliant.

3 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

Yeah hes had some good moments and should have scored. Curtis Jones has shown some good flashes as well.

2 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

Bullet header from Hoever. Great goal.

The three players who I thought stood out for you guys tonight. 

Elliott's off the ball movement is decent and he's got a good engine in him for a 16 year old. Very skilful player and deserved a goal. Thought the 2nd shot that hit the bar was sailing in. Was sat right behind it pretty much and was just waiting for the net to ripple. 

Curtis Jones was my man of the match. Dominated the left-wing and linked well with Milner on that side. 

Hoever's bullet-header was superb - mainly for the perfectly weighted cross but also the timing of the run and the precision of the header with power. He's a really good player for a 16/17 year old! 

Liverpool have some serious quality in their youth though based on tonight. So many players stand out and have lots of potential. The keeper's point blank save was actually quite important in the game as MK Dons seemed like they were coming back in to it at that point. 

2 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

Lallana, Ox and Lovren have all been really poor. Understandable considering they've hardly played this season but still...

I thought Lallana was decent. Pulled the strings deep in midfield, went a bit further forward in 2nd half but his passing and calmness/composure on the ball was required tonight. Kept it simple at times too. 

3 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

I swear to god I’m not overreacting. Fred is the single worst player to ever pull on a Manchester United shirt.

The modern Anderson?

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

League form is far more important. In the past ten years, it’s largely been won by United, City, Chelsea or Liverpool. The chances of winning it are slim. 

That's a self-fulfilling prophechy. If everyone outside of those clubs has that attitude, then the usual lot will keep winning it. It's there for the taking for an outsider to go far. We've blown very good chances in the last two years to knock Man City out by naming a weakened side ourselves.

I'm confident we can make the semis if we take it seriously and once you're that far you're in with a shout.

8 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Arsenal in the semis in 2017. Hardly a tough draw though as the other options were Chelsea and Spurs so there was no chance of them not getting a big side. Got to go back to October 2016 where United beat them in the League Cup at Old Trafford, for the last time they drew a top six side when there was any chance they wouldn't.

Hardly tough? We knocked them out you cheeky sod :D

• Subscriber
17 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Hardly tough? We knocked them out you cheeky sod :D

That's not what I meant, it was more the fact that the alternatives were also big clubs so it wasnt really an "unlucky" draw on that occasion to get a big club when it was a certainty.

@Stan

yeah though Jones looked excellent. Really impressed with him on the wing, isn’t scared to take on a man and has plenty of confidence in himself. 

think we have a class little player in Elliot too, he is technically brilliant. Deserved a goal at the end too. 

all in all it was a very good showing from the lads, showed why they are so highly rated.

24 minutes ago, Rick said:

@Stan

yeah though Jones looked excellent. Really impressed with him on the wing, isn’t scared to take on a man and has plenty of confidence in himself. 

That's his biggest asset. The few times I have watched him play and talk he comes across as ambitious, confident and almost cocky (in a good way) lad. I reckon he has a big future ahead of him

@topic

I was also impressed by the keeper. Thought he did alright. I liked how he wasn't scared to come off his line to exert his dominance. Something that is rare for young keepers. 

Also we are fortunate Elliot is a Liverpool fan. Boy looks really crafty. Think he will break into the first team before he turns 20. Though fans need to be patient with him. 

6 hours ago, Dan said:

That's a self-fulfilling prophechy. If everyone outside of those clubs has that attitude, then the usual lot will keep winning it. It's there for the taking for an outsider to go far. We've blown very good chances in the last two years to knock Man City out by naming a weakened side ourselves.

I'm confident we can make the semis if we take it seriously and once you're that far you're in with a shout.

Recent history tells you it’s not there for the taking. Manchester City have won 4 of the last 6. If we’d have 4/5 different winners in that period, you’d have a point. The chances are it’s going to be won by one of the bigger clubs again. 

From a manager’s point of view, I doubt there’s a manager out there that has the League Cup anywhere near the top of the list of priorities each season. It’s largely a distraction. Take a look at Watford last season, their form nosedived at the back end of the season around their run to the FA Cup Final and now the manager that led them to the Final is unemployed. 

As for chairmen, you get £100,000 prize money for winning this cup. You’re not going to be bothered by it, are you? From a business perspective, it’s utterly pointless. That’s where we’re at with Football these days. It’s little wonder Bournemouth, Newcastle and a couple of others give up on cups at the earliest opportunity. 

You’ve got League One clubs making 5-7 changes each round. That’s third tier clubs. For all the guff about big clubs “disrespecting” Cup competitions, it’s going down the pyramid now. 

It’s an utterly pointless competition now, it’s redundant. The sooner we take the French’s lead and sack this off, the better. 

I get the fan’s perspective, I get they want Cup runs but there’s completely different priorities between clubs/chairman/managers and fans. 

• Subscriber

I couldn't be arsed to watch the match if it was on tv or not but FFS we had to do it with a penalty shootout and how the fuck could Ole make young Tuanzebe captain for the night beggars beliefe, the pressure on that young lad must have been astronomical, someone like Mata should have played and made captain for the night but I don't think that would have helped either, he should have made the tea-lady captain and I reckon she would have thrown a few cups's around at h/t in the dressing room.

Chelsea next...gulp. :shutup:  :eek:  

28 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Recent history tells you it’s not there for the taking. Manchester City have won 4 of the last 6. If we’d have 4/5 different winners in that period, you’d have a point. The chances are it’s going to be won by one of the bigger clubs again. 

Surely then that suggests that the big clubs do actually take it seriously (especially in the later rounds). It doesn't seem to really hamper their progress either. 

I agree its not a priority but that's why you have priorities. You dont just keep getting rid of the lowest one. 

As I said, for the big clubs it's a great tournament to give youth some experience whilst keeping fringe players match fit. Once into the semi final then its definitely worth winning, even if it is the lowest priority.

18 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Surely then that suggests that the big clubs do actually take it seriously (especially in the later rounds). It doesn't seem to really hamper their progress either. 

I agree its not a priority but that's why you have priorities. You dont just keep getting rid of the lowest one. 

As I said, for the big clubs it's a great tournament to give youth some experience whilst keeping fringe players match fit. Once into the semi final then its definitely worth winning, even if it is the lowest priority.

The big clubs have far larger squads so therefore can rotate without too many problems. 

I’d throw this competition if I were Liverpool just because of the amount of games likely between November-January (you’ve got to be looking at 15-20 games in that period). Arsenal, United and Chelsea don’t, IMO, have the squads to deal with distractions like this either so I’d throw it. 

The “smaller” clubs should, IMO, be looking at Europe/survival than this. 

The problem is that the further you get in the competition the more tempting it is for the manager to play a few of the big guns or if you play a PL side. For me, Alisson, VVD, the front three, Fabinho, the full backs and a few others should be nowhere near this competition. As long as we stick to that in the next round and beyond (should we get through) then I'm alright with it. I'm sure the week of the quarters, should we get there, is the same week as the World Club Cup thing so even more reason to stick with the kids and fringe players in the League Cup.

43 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

The problem is that the further you get in the competition the more tempting it is for the manager to play a few of the big guns or if you play a PL side. For me, Alisson, VVD, the front three, Fabinho, the full backs and a few others should be nowhere near this competition. As long as we stick to that in the next round and beyond (should we get through) then I'm alright with it. I'm sure the week of the quarters, should we get there, is the same week as the World Club Cup thing so even more reason to stick with the kids and fringe players in the League Cup.

That's basically my point. Klopp doesn't really rotate much in the league & CL, so both domestic cups are ideal for keeping fringe players fit and giving youth players valuable experience. 

If that then gets us to a semi final in one or both, then play a stronger team to try and win them.

5 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

That's basically my point. Klopp doesn't really rotate much in the league & CL, so both domestic cups are ideal for keeping fringe players fit and giving youth players valuable experience. 

If that then gets us to a semi final in one or both, then play a stronger team to try and win them.

I wouldn't even be bothered with the semis. My problem with the League Cup semis is that they start right after the busy Christmas schedule and it's two legs. The FA Cup is starting too.

25 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I wouldn't even be bothered with the semis. My problem with the League Cup semis is that they start right after the busy Christmas schedule and it's two legs. The FA Cup is starting too.

Great teams find a way to manage. We didn't become the most successful English club by throwing competitions. 

Man City just won a domestic treble because they are hungry for titles. We were like that, then Man Utd. That's what I want to see again at our club. Go for the lot if the chance presents itself.

You might not be bothered about losing a semi final and that's fine, it's your preference. I'd rather win it and then try and win the trophy.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived