talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

EFL Cup - Third Round Matches - 24-25th September

football forum

3 hours ago, Pyfish said:

Gutted I can't be at Stamford Bridge for our game. I don't expect us to win but I expect us to give it a bloody good go!

Don't worry I will be there for you mate... Hoping we have a good game tonight, can't see us losing 3 on the bounce, well I hope not anyway

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
1 minute ago, Bluewolf said:

Don't worry I will be there for you mate... Hoping we have a good game tonight, can't see us losing 3 on the bounce, well I hope not anyway

I can see you guys underestimating us but ultimately you'll come out with the result.

1 hour ago, Pyfish said:

I can see you guys underestimating us but ultimately you'll come out with the result.

That's something we used to do but don't get that feeling under Lampard... I think whichever team he throws out tonight will still be wanting to prove they are worth a shot in the first team if they are not already part of it so doubt we will get any complacency.. our usual defensive woes yes, but not anything worse than that, after 2 losses I think they will be hungry to do well and get back on track... 

9 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Unpopular opinion but I’d do my utmost to get out of this competition at the earliest stage if I were a Premier League Manager. 

Sides in Europe and sides who are likely going to be in a relegation battle yeah. If you're a fan of a club in between though who hasn't won anything for years they should be going for it

11 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Unpopular opinion but I’d do my utmost to get out of this competition at the earliest stage if I were a Premier League Manager. 

Why? Its not only silverware but for the bigger sides it's a great opportunity to give fringe players minutes and the youngsters some valuable experience.

5 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Sides in Europe and sides who are likely going to be in a relegation battle yeah. If you're a fan of a club in between though who hasn't won anything for years they should be going for it

But at this stage of a season, who is a middling club? I’d argue nobody. 

League/European chances - City and Liverpool. 

Desires on Champions League qualification - United, Tottenham, Chelsea, Arsenal. 

Designs on Europa League qualification- Everton, Leicester, Wolves, West Ham. 

Making sure that they, first and foremost, have enough points to stay in the Premier League - Everyone else. 

While I appreciate that there is crossover between some categories and some fans will argue that they’re in the “wrong” category, it’s far too early to be writing some teams off as safe and even so, a Carrier Bag Cup win generates very little money for clubs and it’s European qualification clubs want. 

3 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Why? Its not only silverware but for the bigger sides it's a great opportunity to give fringe players minutes and the youngsters some valuable experience.

Firstly, bigger fish to fry, see above. This is a mere needless distraction on proper football and it’s too early for some teams to be going for this. 

Secondly, you’re looking at it from a fans’ mindset. There’s nothing wrong with that but I’m this day and age this trophy is meaningless and it’s European qualification and bigger trophies that are going to get a manager handsomely remunerated and allowed to spend bigger funds the following season. 

Without wanting to turn this away from tonight’s games, this competition should be binned. 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Rick said:

Harvey Elliot looks really good for a 16 lad. That cross to Milner was brilliant.

He does but he needs a bit more composure as hes also squandering passing opportunities for ball retention. I think we should have had a goal by now but its coming you can see it.

51 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

But at this stage of a season, who is a middling club? I’d argue nobody. 

League/European chances - City and Liverpool. 

Desires on Champions League qualification - United, Tottenham, Chelsea, Arsenal. 

Designs on Europa League qualification- Everton, Leicester, Wolves, West Ham. 

Making sure that they, first and foremost, have enough points to stay in the Premier League - Everyone else. 

While I appreciate that there is crossover between some categories and some fans will argue that they’re in the “wrong” category, it’s far too early to be writing some teams off as safe and even so, a Carrier Bag Cup win generates very little money for clubs and it’s European qualification clubs want. 

Firstly, bigger fish to fry, see above. This is a mere needless distraction on proper football and it’s too early for some teams to be going for this. 

Secondly, you’re looking at it from a fans’ mindset. There’s nothing wrong with that but I’m this day and age this trophy is meaningless and it’s European qualification and bigger trophies that are going to get a manager handsomely remunerated and allowed to spend bigger funds the following season. 

Without wanting to turn this away from tonight’s games, this competition should be binned. 

The sides looking for Europa League qualification should be going all out. Winning this competition would see them already qualified in February or March.

Anyway, decent half from this side. Lots of possession. Maybe a little slow at times but I think they've been comfortable aside from maybe the first few minutes. Liking the keepers starting position. He's been out quickly a few times

• Subscriber

I've seen us qualify for Europa pretty regularly in the past 20 years. I'd choose an actual trophy over another European qualification no contest.

I also don't believe Europa League qualification is a massive game changer money wise.

1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

I've seen us qualify for Europa pretty regularly in the past 20 years. I'd choose an actual trophy over another European qualification no contest.

I also don't believe Europa League qualification is a massive game changer money wise.

O.o

• The topic was unpinned

Archived