talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

UEFA European Conference League - Coming in 2021

football forum

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s a strange article I’ve linked to this. Admittedly details are scarce at the minute so the ones in the article may well be wrong. 

It mentions that this will be a tournament for clubs from the smaller member nations, which is fine with me as it gives teams from these countries an opportunity to win a meaningful trophy and hopefully it will mean qualification for the Champions League and Europa League don’t continue starting an hour after the final whistle of the the respective trophies finals. I know it makes for good memories but pitting Wolves v Crusaders in a qualification game is just utterly pointless. 

However, the article goes on to state an English team will be involved, which is strange? How’s this going to work? 

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Stan said:

Not sure if this could be right thread about European format changing... 

It's nonsense, my opinion is that once you've been knocked out then you're out. Shouldn't be dropping down into another competition or having daft play-offs.

• Administrator
Just now, N U F C said:

It's nonsense, my opinion is that once you've been knocked out then you're out. Shouldn't be dropping down into another competition or having daft play-offs.

Agreed. Rewards failure, pretty much. 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Not sure if this could be right thread about European format changing... 

Pretty sure this is old news. Seen it elsewhere months ago.

Isn't exactly different from what happens now, except the better incentive to finish top of the Europa League group.

• 5 months later...
  • Administrator

Some of the confirmed Teams So Far

Tottenham
Union Berlin
Roma
Rennes
Feyenoord
PAOK
Gent
Anderlecht
LASK
Trabzonspor
Hibernian
Aberdeen
Basel
BATE
Rosenborg
AEK Athens
Dundalk
Maribor

And several more...

Qualifying starts on 8th July. 

I don't know if UEFA knows the English clubs will feel even more stigma toward the competition by using the terms conference. To us that's mentally a non league status. 

Looking at the format above I just gave up on it, so confusing. I still don't know if this is a feeder to the Europa or it's own stand alone competition!!!

Seeing the competition take shape, it basically looks like the normal European season for Aberdeen.

Will be seeded for a couple of rounds and should make it through, only to then be drawn against a good team from a decent league (ala having to play Sporting CP last season).

And just like last year, unlikely to have fans, so guaranteed to get a semi glamorous tie which fans are not allowed to attend...

• Subscriber

It's not about fixture congestion, it never has been. When the elite clubs complain about fixture congestion, what they really mean is that they want to drive the League Cup into the ground, get rid of FA Cup replays or reduce the Premier League to 18 teams so that they can fit in a few extra European fixtures to generate more money for themselves at the expense of opportunities for the rest of the football pyramid. This is as good as a matter of fact following the Super League fiasco. Look at the state of that diagram ffs, any team that accepts that without complaining has no business coming back and crying about having to play League Cup games in their rare midweeks off European football. They should just clean up the whole system. I don't mind teams from the CL playoffs being parachuted into the Europa League and from the Europa League down to the new competition, but as soon as you're into the Group Stage proper, when you get knocked out, you're out of Europe. What a load of shite it is having teams in the last 32 of the Europa League who weren't even in the Group Stage for it. In terms of fixture congestion, I've been saying this for ages, have teams play each other once instead of twice in the Group Stage. Most groups are forgone conclusions from the start. If there are concerns about the fairness of this then increase each group to 5 teams. This way you can have 8 extra teams in the competition and everyone can play 2 home and 2 away. But like I said, it isn't about fixture congestion, this format would lead to 2 fewer Champions League fixtures and therefore less money for teams and broadcasters so it'll get laughed out of the room.

Taking the politics out of it, this tournament itself should be pretty interesting in terms of the fixtures it throws up in the latter stages. Spurs and Roma should fancy their chances.

3 hours ago, 6666 said:

Trophy isn't terrible. It's better than the Europa League trophy at least.

0_UEFA-President-Aleksander-Ceferin-unve

Looks pretty similar to the UEFA Cup in shape. Definitely not better though. UEFA Cup is a nice trophy

Archived