Morecambe vs Northampton
Salford vs Forest Green
Scunthorpe vs Bradford
Stevenage vs Cambridge
Swindon vs Newport

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going to Charlton v Leeds. Plumped for that over QPR v West Brom purely to see Bielsa’s Leeds and see how they play. Looking forward to it. 

Charlton could be on a bit of a slide now, they’ve lost the last two and not scored and I did read in August that while they may have been in the top five or six of the Championship, their xG was actually quite low and it appears to have gone to where it was expected to be in recent weeks. 

Expecting a Leeds win on Saturday but hoping for an entertaining game. 

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Going to Charlton v Leeds. Plumped for that over QPR v West Brom purely to see Bielsa’s Leeds and see how they play. Looking forward to it. 

Charlton could be on a bit of a slide now, they’ve lost the last two and not scored and I did read in August that while they may have been in the top five or six of the Championship, their xG was actually quite low and it appears to have gone to where it was expected to be in recent weeks. 

Expecting a Leeds win on Saturday but hoping for an entertaining game. 

If @Lucas is anyone to go by, Leeds dominate, go 1 up, have a few chances to wrap up the game, conceded in stoppage time and draw the game.

3 hours ago, Stan said:

If @Lucas is anyone to go by, Leeds dominate, go 1 up, have a few chances to wrap up the game, conceded in stoppage time and draw the game.

That's been the story at home. I don't think we handle playing at Elland Road as well as we do away from home sometimes. Maybe it's the expectancy/pressure.

Anyway, I'm anticipating a good game Saturday. Charlton have been playing decent football and although the last couple games they have tailed off, they aren't to be underestimated at any cost.

We will give Lee Bowyer a good reception too from the away end, was always held in high regard for us and always been kind to us since.

Last week felt like a loss and deflated everyone so its imperative we win. I hope that we change the team around a bit and give Helder Costa a start over Harrison and I wouldn't be against giving young Eddie Nketiah a start over Bamford.

Should be a good atmosphere too if Charlton pack out their ground.

• Subscriber

Our game will depend a lot on what happens in our game v Chelsea tonight in the cup. We're going to be given the run around by the Chelsea boys. Our manager is good at managing the fitness of the team though so won't overplay anyone who he sees as being pivotal in the match on Saturday. 

The game on Saturday will actually be a difficult one too with Exeter being top of the pile but I'm confident we can get at least a point if not 3.

Heard it’s win or sacked for Nathan Jones at Stoke. I always find it strange when clubs give these kind of ultimatums to managers. They’re obviously thinking of replacing the manager and when they get to that stage, there’s no real way back, even with a win against Nottingham Forest, is there? 

4 wins in 32 is pretty pathetic and while I hope managers get given time, there’s only so much time you can give someone.  

Nothing more glorious than seeing Stoke crumble. We even played our game with Forest a day early so they could be more prepared and I'm glad to see its worked. Completely forgot Butland was still playing for them, surprised a Prem team hasn't taken a punt although they probably want silly money. 

31 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Nothing more glorious than seeing Stoke crumble. We even played our game with Forest a day early so they could be more prepared and I'm glad to see its worked. Completely forgot Butland was still playing for them, surprised a Prem team hasn't taken a punt although they probably want silly money. 

Am I the only one that doesn’t get Jack Butland? I can’t get my head around the general opinion that Premier League clubs would want him. I’ve seen absolutely nothing of him that suggests he’s anything more than a middle of the road goalkeeper. 

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Am I the only one that doesn’t get Jack Butland? I can’t get my head around the general opinion that Premier League clubs would want him. I’ve seen absolutely nothing of him that suggests he’s anything more than a middle of the road goalkeeper. 

He did have a good season at Stoke a few years ago when they were in the Premier League to be fair. Aided by a resolute defence, mind. I must admit I got caught up in the hype after that and there were rumours that if Schmeichel left us, he'd be the replacement and I wasn't against it.

Looks like we dodged a bullet there, though, looking back.

Just appears now that he's suffering severe dip in confidence. He made a couple of errors in the first game of the season too if I remember. It's not going well right now. Having said that, he's not helped himself but he's also not helped by total shit playing in front of him. 

Also in the camp that doesn't mind seeing Stoke dramatically fall.

1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

Yeah he seems to have fallen out of favour, doesn't get selected for England anymore as well. I just thought someone would have taken a punt because he is English, obviously no club thinks he is worth it. 

Was surprised Butland went down with Stoke as I though someone would have had him, even someone like Chelsea or Liverpool as a sub. Seems to have fallen well out of fashion now though.

Anyway, Luton home for Rovers today, could well set the tone of the season - win and we continue our fine form into a decent-ish run of games; lose or dare I say draw and it'll be our agonising inconsistency striking again. If we want to get into the top 6 come May we have to dispatch games like this.

Today's also 7 years since that twat Steve Kean left. We're still writhing from his dismal tenure.

Leeds are guilty here of “trying to reinvent the wheel”/overcomplicating things. Possession is easily 65% in their favour but in the final third they’re trying to score the perfect goal after 15-20 passes, whereas Charlton have defended resolutely, whilst not being forced into too many dangerous situations and have scored a scrappy goal, which counts exactly the same as a goal scored after 20 passes. 

Absolute rubbish.

No cutting edge today. A lot of 'nearly' moments but that wasn't good enough. This always seems to happen when Pablo Hernandez is missing. Shock.

Bit of a jammy goal for Charlton, and I wouldn't say they did much going forward at all. We give away some absolute toss goals this season,set pieces are our kryptonite.

That said, they defended so well. Very compact, solid and narrow which forced us to put crosses in the box.

Bowyer must know something because our delivery from crosses are shocking. They were last week, same again today. So frustrating.

Bielsa's changes didn't even have a positive effect on the game. Big chance for Helder Costa today starting and he didn't take it.

Last week we were genuinely unlucky. This week, I didn't feel sorobbed. Plenty of attempts but not enough guilt edged chances.

It was the type of game we could have played all night and not scored. Lot's of huff and puff and no end quality.

Frustrating because technically I think we could be the best side on paper this season, dominate games but for all the stats on paper, expected goals, possession, shots etc, we miss that clinical edge to be winners.

• Subscriber

Couldn’t be happier. 3-1 win away at the league leaders who hadn’t lost a league game this season. Ethan Robson on loan from Sunderland grabbing two goals. We’ve got a very good deal getting him in. Exeter just couldn’t handle him. More of the same please Grimsby. Brilliant start to the season and our points tally now took us until Mid-November to achieve last season. 

As I said, I thought Leeds we’re guilty of attempting to reinvent the wheel in the first half and were trying to score the perfect goal after 15+ passes and Charlton did very well in not having the ball and containing Leeds but then scored a scrappy goal against the run of play. 

Bielsa made two subs and changed his system at half-time and went to 3 at the back with two wing backs. I was baffled to be honest why he did that. I could understand if Leeds weren’t playing well but it wasn’t that at all. They were the better side and had conceded a scrappy goal from a set piece, the change of shape and two subs seemed a bit knee-jerk to me. 

The second half was, again, all Leeds and while they did have a couple of good chances that either went wide or forced Dillon Phillips into a save, they couldn’t score. 

Good atmosphere at The Valley now it’s a little fuller each game but it remains a club under constraints due to its wildly stupid owner. 

This started out as a tough game, Barnsley went ahead with a screamer of a goal and they made it so hard for us to get settled but eventually we found our way and a lot of success down the right wing. Canos played as if he had a twin interchanging with him, one one hand he tore them apart and created two very good goals. On the other he gave away fouls, was found offside too often and was getting frustrated. Still only 21 but he’s had a good start to the season.

Eventually the quality we have is starting to show, our equaliser was classed with Benrahma turning their man inside out and Jensen with almost a de Bruyne-esque cross. Barnsley’s heads have dropped and we’ve taken full control of the game. Big game from Ollie Watkins with a hat trick...so far we don’t miss Maupay

Away wins really aren’t our strong point so hopefully there’s more of this to come 

On 27/09/2019 at 22:38, Dan said:

What a silly silly move.

Was it though? Look at where both clubs have been over the previous ten years. The opportunity was too good to turn down.

He has definitely been found out though. Every promise he made when he joined looks hilarious now. They seemed to be making the right type of signings too (Lindsay, Powell, Hogan, Carter-Vickers etc).

I can see them getting an established name and improving gradually. There team is better than the Sunderland team that dropped. 

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Was it though? Look at where both clubs have been over the previous ten years. The opportunity was too good to turn down.

He has definitely been found out though. Every promise he made when he joined looks hilarious now. They seemed to be making the right type of signings too (Lindsay, Powell, Hogan, Carter-Vickers etc).

I can see them getting an established name and improving gradually. There team is better than the Sunderland team that dropped. 

Stoke are an absolute poisoned chalice and it was obvious to anybody looking from the outside, even from a historically smaller club than Luton Town who were flying at the time. Sometimes step ups aren't what they look to be. Stoke haven't improved and Luton haven't gotten worse. I think everything that's happened at both is despite Jones rather than because of him. I've got no strong opinion on him as a manager.

Stoke are doomed until they can have a clear out but they have so many players on big contracts that they can't shift. I really do think they could drop. It's a total shambles.

I also think Huddersfield will win there and that'll be the end for Jones.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived