talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Football League 2019/20 - 27-29th September, 2019

football forum

On 29/09/2019 at 23:19, Dan said:

Stoke are an absolute poisoned chalice and it was obvious to anybody looking from the outside, even from a historically smaller club than Luton Town who were flying at the time. Sometimes step ups aren't what they look to be. Stoke haven't improved and Luton haven't gotten worse. I think everything that's happened at both is despite Jones rather than because of him. I've got no strong opinion on him as a manager.

Stoke are doomed until they can have a clear out but they have so many players on big contracts that they can't shift. I really do think they could drop. It's a total shambles.

I also think Huddersfield will win there and that'll be the end for Jones.

Luton Town had Barnsley, Portsmouth and Sunderland breathing down there necks. Three bigger clubs with very good managers. All four of them got a very high points total in the end. There was every chance the wheels could have come off for Luton.

As for Stoke City there was, and still is, room for a lot of growth. The first six months was a free hit really. After that a lot of the problem players were going in the summer and a squad could be built for this season.

I reckon less than 10% would have stayed at Luton over Stoke in that circumstance. Even now I reckon 70%+ would still leave Luton for Stoke. Theyve signed good players this year. Vokes, Lindsay, Carter-Vickers, Davies, Duffy, Gregory, Batth and Powell combined with the likes of Etebo, Clucas, Ince, McClean etc The right manager will get that team in the top half possibly pushing for playoffs given theres only one outstanding team at the minute. Theyve got some good young players in Edwards, Campbell and Tymon too.

A Mick McCarthy would be perfect for them right now, either way they need to go for an experienced head at the minute while they finish this transition there going through.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived