Everton 4-0 Man City

Head to Head
Everton - 68 wins
Draw - 47
Man City 71 wins

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was the “I hope we lose, Liverpool night not win the league if we do” game from like January/February this year, wasn’t it? 

It’s shocked me how quick it appears that Silva has become under pressure, based off one home defeat to Sheffield United, especially given how staunchly for Silva the Evertonians on here are.

Now, it needs no introduction as to what I think about him and his away form in the Premier League as a manager but his redeeming quality at Everton has been their home form, where they hadn’t lost since February before the other week. Once you stop winning on a regular basis in front of your own fans, you’re done then, IMO. You still won’t achieve anything with an away form like Silva’s/Everton’s but his home form was good. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

This was the “I hope we lose, Liverpool night not win the league if we do” game from like January/February this year, wasn’t it? 

It’s shocked me how quick it appears that Silva has become under pressure, based off one home defeat to Sheffield United, especially given how staunchly for Silva the Evertonians on here are.

Now, it needs no introduction as to what I think about him and his away form in the Premier League as a manager but his redeeming quality at Everton has been their home form, where they hadn’t lost since February before the other week. Once you stop winning on a regular basis in front of your own fans, you’re done then, IMO. You still won’t achieve anything with an away form like Silva’s/Everton’s but his home form was good. 

It's absolutely ridiculous. If we'd ended last season poorly I'd understand it but he was under no pressure at the start of the season, loses three games and suddenly we need to tear up this whole project we've invested and then... yeah nobody has thought that far ahead yet. 

I'd love to say it's the media and bookies stirring it up to make a story but it seems an overwhelming majority of our fans at least online are being cunts and banging the Silva out drum while offering no response to the question 'then what?'

Like I've said in another thread, if managers are so dispensable now that 3 defeats is worth sacking them then I'm afraid I've completely lost touch.

Some of my blueshite friends think Silva should be sacked if they lose this one xD

I think it's mental they think they need to sack him this early into his career and like @RandoEFC says... it's basically just tearing up this current project that so much has been thrown into with recent investment. There's no guarantee another manager can keep the project going the way it is, and I don't think there's enough evidence that Silva has lost the plot.

Certainly losing against this ridiculous City side should not be the metric by which he keeps or loses his job. Although if that's how high the pressure is, keep your fucking job Silva and get the 3 points from City please.

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Some of my blueshite friends think Silva should be sacked if they lose this one xD

I think it's mental they think they need to sack him this early into his career and like @RandoEFC says... it's basically just tearing up this current project that so much has been thrown into with recent investment. There's no guarantee another manager can keep the project going the way it is, and I don't think there's enough evidence that Silva has lost the plot.

Certainly losing against this ridiculous City side should not be the metric by which he keeps or loses his job. Although if that's how high the pressure is, keep your fucking job Silva and get the 3 points from City please.

Lad I know wanted him gone last week. I was quite surprised as he's normally pretty balanced and reasonable this lad

• Subscriber
25 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

His away record at Everton is a disgrace. That's why hes coming under some pressure.

Context please:

Everton's away form has been a disgrace for 5 years or so. Last season we won 5 league games on the road which is, shamefully, the best return for 3 or 4 seasons. Koeman almost went a full calendar year without an away win. The common denominator is the club and the players more than it is Silva. He actually oversaw a mild improvement. Our mentality in away games has been dog shit in a way that predates his reign significantly. The improvement I'm talking about is only baby steps in the right direction and he has to improve that again this season but we've had 3 away league games so it's wildly premature to call "Silva's Everton"s away form a disgrace. Poor maybe but like I say, the bloke is battling against a rot that is set pretty deep.

20 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Context please:

Everton's away form has been a disgrace for 5 years or so. Last season we won 5 league games on the road which is, shamefully, the best return for 3 or 4 seasons. Koeman almost went a full calendar year without an away win. The common denominator is the club and the players more than it is Silva. He actually oversaw a mild improvement. Our mentality in away games has been dog shit in a way that predates his reign significantly. The improvement I'm talking about is only baby steps in the right direction and he has to improve that again this season but we've had 3 away league games so it's wildly premature to call "Silva's Everton"s away form a disgrace. Poor maybe but like I say, the bloke is battling against a rot that is set pretty deep.

That’s spot on and it’s easy to point to stats like his away record... but then you need to consider the context. Everton have been awful away from home for years and under multiple managers.

Everton aren’t suddenly going to leapfrog teams that have better squads than them into being regular champions league spot contenders. I know it may be frustrating because it seems like  3 clubs that they want to leapfrog look like they’re in disarray.

Incremental progress is normal. Sometimes there will be sides that can punch well above their weight for a season and leapfrog better sides - but it’s rare that sort of form is sustainable beyond a season. I think Everton would like to be good - but they’d like to be consistently good over a period of seasons. Cos I’m sure every football club and their fans want that.

Is Silva the man to lead them there? I don’t know but I think last season was a good reflection of him. And sacking him after investing into his project, which looks promising tbh, because of a poor start to a season (and on the back of this match against City) is a bit mental imo.

I’m alright with him getting the sack because that’s yet ANOTHER rebuild for Everton. But Everton fans should want some stability off the improvement from last season. And it’s too early to judge Silva this season, imo - I think until the January transfer window is more fair for pressure to be that built up against him. 

Also today’s one of the rare days where I want Everton to win xD

5 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Seems going behind has sharpened them up. Can't tell if Calvert-Lewin nicked that from Coleman or if he really needed to put it in to be sure.

A replay shows Calvert-Lewin gets a touch literally right as it’s crossing the line - don’t blame him though, you want that from your strikers tbh.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived