The better place to talk football.

The TF365 FM Renaissance Thread

football forum

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Dan said:

Badboy xD

What's amazing is neither of those get near my Genoa team. That's not in a cunty way either. You've really punched above your weight.

Yeah, these are Africa or 2nd tier European players at most, the players love me though and alongside a quite effective tactic, it makes me play better.

This guy I just signed though I'd bet could be a sub at your Genoa side...

56323d27cc6dedc5f3ba2d0abcdfc08f.png?width=1195&height=613

I've achieved almost everything with Liphakoe, so I'm gonna do one last save in FM 19 with Shakhtar. Since I won't be able to use custom databases til december in FM 20, I have some time.

09cb73c2737314fd59dfeb17bb7df86e.png

Using the same tactic I did in Lesotho. The 4-4-2 diamond with inverted wingbacks. Very offensive and has lots of goals in it.

As for the signings/promotions...

30dd2b85527d84cd3ffdb59976af276f.jpg

Signed him from Steaua Bucharesti and I think he could work as a decent DLF. Don't really like him as a winger cos of his low pace and I don't use an advanced wide player anyhow.

I've promoted this keeper

598318e38c989838cc14f361b06436f0.jpg

Pyatov will probably get mad at me for replacing him but I need to look at the way of the future.

Right, so I had to start over with Shakhtar. First attempt ended unsuccessful and we got sacked. This time, I didn't sign Dennis Man. Only Zinchenko from City on a loan.

Firstly the league, we are pissing it. Beat Kyiv both times comfortably and we should go onto win the whole thing now.

cc66633af62d435dc04b675ee363c8c5.png

As for the CL, we did poorly. We actually gave Real Madrid a proper midfield battle in both games but were unable to really threaten them and we lost both games 2-0 and 5-1 respectively.

We were only able to beat Plzen though. Galatsaray beat us 2-1 in Turkey and we drew 1-1 in Ukraine.

70b994442426328e5f9abfba4130bfdb.png

So we are in Europa league now. We have drawn Celtic.

2961dad594a8a9767071dbaafb4f0ae2.png

Excellent showing in Scotland. Below par in the 2nd leg in Ukraine though. Regardless, we are through and have drawn Frankfurt as our next opponent.

396d3b62838c4830445d4c290cdeb733.png

5ba2426b5a4a472868cd67aa127d1e69.png

Sadly couldn't get any further. Got a good result in Germany but couldn't put it away at home.

91fd318689f7b371ab618990d572b64c.png'

Season is over now. We've won the league and am about to play the cup final vs Kyiv. Then I'm gonna sign some players.

To begin with, here are our signings.

Bakayoko will probably rotate a lot with Stepanenko.

6f569a235ff09de19a69054b5daca9b0.png

As for the CL...

d54bbf7cee8bf21e52454d7d5367b834.png

Finished 2nd. Was about to finish first but Barcelona got 2 late winners and finished first after beating Basel. Bugger, and that means we'll draw a tough opponent. That opponent is...

a7ff26da663aa683cf181f4c6ab6f86f.png

• Subscriber
On 27/09/2019 at 18:01, Dan said:

Probably not a bad idea as I feel like while I'm still going my saves, I'm missing something by not sharing it as I usually get a good story out of things.

So here's mine.

I started a save on here a couple of months ago called 'Leicester with a twist' and what this was, basically, was an FM17 save which I'd holidayed to the start of the 2019/20 season so we were starting at the right time, obviously some things aren't the same as real life (for example Jadon Sancho is about a Championship level player) but it's better than starting well into the past. I saved this database so that any save I start in future I'm just going to go from this one. I've made it clear a few tmes that FM18 and FM19 are just a bit too much for me now sadly. There's too much on them to the pont I don't even feel like it's my fault if it goes wrong or my credit if it goes right.

Basically the Leicester save was a standard Leicester save. I can go to nearly any team on the game, I am convinced, and make a real fist of it, make them a noticeably better side. Leicester, nearly every time, is a fucking disaster. I don't know if I subconsciously change my methods because it's my own club and I've got particular biases that I wouldn't hold managing other clubs, but frequently I come well short with Leicester. I had a nicely backed, well equipped Leicester side that should be comfortable in the league shipping obscene amounts of goals and fighting relegation, eventually giving in when I was given an 8 points from 5 games target when I had a very tricky run of games coming up. It just never quite goes to plan at Leicester and I felt I needed to move on.

So I loaded up the database again and decided it was time for a move to Italy. A strong league in Europe that I haven't ventured to for a while, but I wanted a decent-ish club with potential, but also one in quite a situation to sort. This combination took me to Genoa. They were in the Serie B following a 2017/18 relegation and 2018/19 saw them go from absolutely walking the league to somehow contriving to finish 4th following a couple of significant player sales in January. Although they were title favourites, there's still a challenge here and there's a rebuild to be done. It's quite a fitting one given the English roots of the club. The more it goes on, the more this save just makes sense.

Genoa CFC image.png.960172945f24120c66a0b37f0d1dd95d.png  I Rossoblu

Season 1 (2019/20) - We absolutely cakewalked the league to the point I was basically planning for the Serie A by about October. Although I did expect this to be the case, you have still got to put in the groundwork. I went with a 3-1-4-2 formation as my primary tactic, bringing in a few English based loanees and utilising the squad I had in place, with the key players being Oscar Hiljemark, Leonardo Morosini and Giuseppe Panico. Hiljemark is a Swedish midfielder and a name a few will already be familiar with I'd imagine, he's probably like a less temperamental Joey Barton type of player - basically he's too good to be pissing around in Serie B and a good player to have at the spine of the team. Morosini was a versastile player who could play in midfield or as a striker, and I primarily used him as a false 9. Panico was a 22 year old pacey striker yet to be given his senior debut, ridiculously, but I thought he looked good and I wanted him starting, and he delivered me over 20 goals as we picked up just under 100 points. Only 3 defeats all season, only one failure to win at home all season and the best attack and best defence, 2nd place a whole 27 points behind us. We had no business at that level and we showed it.

Season 2 (2020/21) - Naturally the aim really is survival but I think with the way we so comprehensively battered the Serie B, I didn't really want any risk that we'd go down and I think that's realistic. I mean we were predicted to finish 15th. We clearly had the players. I brought in the likes of Bryan Cristante, Nicolas Fazzi and Leonardo Bonazzoli to build around the 3-1-4-2 tactic of last season.

We started superbly and were 2nd in the league after 6 manic games which saw us have the best attack and worst defence in the league - a 4-5 win at Fiorentina was the highlight of these results. The problem however was obvious and it's one that always seems to happen for teams like this - they can't maintain the goals but they can absolutely maintain the inept defending, and the frequency we started to ship 4/5 in games was an utter embarrassment. We'd go to somewhere like Cagliari or Bologna and I'd be surprised if we kept it to under 3. I didn't really sign enough versatile players so I was basically stuck playing 3 at the back, and this lead to a run of me switching through formations almost by the game - a slippery slope which I got pretty wrong. Despite a scare around February time where we won 1 game in 12, a significant tactical switch to 4-3-1-2 seemed to really change our fortunes and we ended up surviving pretty comfortably - 15th ironically, meaning both seasons I'd finished exactly where I was predicted. Bonazzoli the outstanding signing of the season, very controversially joined me on a free from arch rivals Sampdoria and ended up not far off winning the Serie A golden boot. We finished the season conceding 79 goals which is the highest total by any team on my entire save in the Serie A so far.

Season 3 (2021/22) - I felt like the season was going to be totally fucked up by an ongoing takeover that I wanted sorting. The owner had wanted out the entire time I'd been there and May saw a takeover bid from an English woman (the English influence is just getting too much) and it would run all the way into July, much to my annoyance as it put me under a transfer embargo. Luckily the deal fell through before my targets went elsewhere and I managed to get some players in. Notably Ezequiel Ponce, Joao Carvalho and the only significant money deal was £4.8mil for Czech 18 year old left back Radek Tomasek. I've been very careful with my money but he's a potentially top class player so I couldn't let it pass. I kept the 4-3-1-2 formation and we ended up having a staggeringly good season. I often find this on FM - it all just clicks into place one season and things really take off. Faltering Juventus and AC Milan opened the door up for the unlikeliest title bid since.... an Italian managing in England that I seem to recall. It's true. There was a point when I thought we actually might win the league. We did have a tricky last couple of months though and defeats to Juventus at home, and a gutting 3-0 defeat to AC Milan (where we dominated the game) put paid to that and it ended, surprise surprise, with Juve's 800th straight league title. We did however manage to secure 3rd place which was totally unprecedented and has lifted us to another level as a club - the likes of Ponce and in-particular full backs Saul and Diogo Dalot really carrying the team. The most astounding difference was the defence - we went from shipping 79 goals to just 28 which is frankly a miracle. The 4-3-1-2 formation was an amazing success, better than I could've possibly imagined.

Season 4 (2022/23) - Tough to know what to want to achieve this year because last year we really did punch so much above our weight, but then again I don't buy that you should just go back to accepting also ran status after that so I want at least to get back into Europe again this year.

image.thumb.png.a7ac2c1975b170fd6fa932bd2b2cea85.png

This was our transfer business this year. Not having to actually sell players to raise funds makes a massive difference although really we still didn't have a major pot either so I'm still having to buy carefully. For example Verdasca was a result of scouring all relegated teams to see if there were any clauses to be abused and he was a centre half comfortably good enough to start for us so we made the most of it. Esposito was the Dalot replacement. I'd actually looked at him last year before I got Dalot back but thought it was worth saving the money and getting Dalot back on loan, was very surprised Udinese sold him to me that cheaply. D'Urso is a comfortable first choice midfielder and Alexis Soldado on a free is fucking sensational business. The rest are youngsters.

We started the season in pretty mixed form - we couldn't win at home and half way through sat around 6th in the league with a nearly impeccable away record but amazingly just two home wins, including a sickening loss to arch rivals Sampdoria in December.

Amazingly though Sampdoria was to be our last home loss of the season and in-fact between then and the end of the season, only Roma left our place with any points (we technically did lose there though as we ground share with Sampdoria, who beat us twice, the cunts). The away form dipped but it was still good enough to land us yet another 3rd placed finish - one that really solidifies our credentials as a serious side in this league now.

image.thumb.png.760afd71d9f47ee49d2982b55b937daf.png

First of all, lets all laugh at Lazio. Pathetic from them all season and sent down on the final day by us. No prizes for guessing who one of SPAL's two wins all season was against. Juventus got totally bailed out of it on the final day by Napoli going full Napoli and losing at home to Atalanta meaning they only just held onto a top 4 place - I sense opportunity here as they seem to be really going to pot as a team after three straight titles, I don't think either Milan side is that great either and Roma and Napoli both continue to frustrate. I actually think the league's open next year and if we make a couple of quality additions then I genuinely don't think the title is beyond us.

We won the cup as well. The Coppa Italia is structured to benefit those who perform in the league so that anybody who finished in the top 8 last season are put straight into the final 16 with a home tie, so you've basically got a free run to the quarter finals. Luck shone on us as Frosinone beat Napoli so we played them in the quarters, and Bologna beat Inter so we played them in the semis, but the final we still had work to do - Juventus, and we absolutely crushed them 3-0. I couldn't believe the sheer simplicity of it. It could've been 5.

Europe was a mixed bag. We had a group of Real Madrid, Besiktas and Sporting Lisbon, which I thought we could get 2nd in - we did. We lost at Real 4-2, then drew at home to Besiktas, throwing the game in the final minute, but saved our arses by taking 6 off Sporting and then turning Real over at home in the most extraordinary final 10 minutes that saw Ezequiel Ponce score a hat-trick in a 3-1 win (and he should've had 4). We lost at Besiktas though meaning we finished 2nd and ran into an absolute behemoth version of Manchester United under Mourinho. Now I expected to go out but what happened was frankly a disgrace, we lost 2-7 at home and 7-0 away, meaning we lost 14-2 on aggregate which is the worst loss I think I've ever seen on the game. What was so amazing about it is that we aren't even bad at the back, we let in 15 goals in the second half of the league campaign yet let in 14 against Manchester United. What the fuck. Liverpool won the Champions League and Benfica won the Europa League.

Finally, the two players I needed to show.

image.thumb.png.0b12f6ff3f1145b4c585496756b53bd6.png

image.thumb.png.8104ad05fd9841ebc6502169e42412d5.png

Soldado on a free is just outrageous business. How the hell did they let him go for nothing?

Andre was a player flagged up to me a while ago playing in Greece but I wasn't totally convinced, but did keep an eye on him. Thank fuck I did. The board gave me £10mil to play with in January and I threw it all at this player. I think he's the single biggest reason we got even better in the second half of the season and I think he's actually a snip at £9mil. Doesn't help this ongoing criticism I keep getting about signing too many Portuguese players but he's a top defender in the making.

I'm greedy, I want that title next year, if Milan can go from 7th to winning it just by appointing Paulo Fonseca then I think we might have a shot.

• Subscriber

The title is hugely optimistic but a poor Juventus opens the door. The only team I'm yet to finish ahead of in a season is Inter. I think if we carry that form on and I have no reason to think that we won't, then we might even be able to pull it off.

Our weakness is simply avoiding defeat at the tough grounds. Fed up of losing at Napoli and Roma every year.

• 3 months later...

I am back on FM.

Using FC Chambly. Just finished my first season. Bit of a soft relegation battle this time, so I survived more comfortably than perhaps I should of.

Been given a budget of 500k, so it's time to search for my 2 Non-EU players.

5043bc271cff264beb9e3951875cf7a6.png

Archived