Poch-a-leavo  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Should I stay or should I go now?

• Off you go to Real Madrid
    • Stay, Like Sash. But be better.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They wont sack him. Don't think they should either. He is extremely overrated but he's still a good manager. They know that. Only reason to sack him would be if the players have turned on him.

17 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Players not wanting to renew contracts may suggest that's the case?

I don't think Pochettino being manager has anything to do with that. Probably their last chance for a big move so they want to leave.

34 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Players not wanting to renew contracts may suggest that's the case?

I think that's more Spurs' wage structure under Levy than Pochettino. I don't blame Spurs players for wanting to move on from Spurs' wage structure - they're good players (even though right now things are a mess at Spurs and I think Rafael Van der Vaart is right when he says right now Spurs players are acting like they're better than they are); players like Alderweireld, for example, have given Spurs many years of excellent service while being paid around half as much (or more) than they would at any other club in the country.

At a certain point, the strict wage structure that's been so good for keeping the finances in order at Tottenham is going to start holding them back. The best players want to get the best pay, it's a job for them and they can see how their counterparts at other clubs comparative to where Tottenham are/expect to be at... I think right now Tottenham are in the unfortunate position of players who know now they are good and know they can get paid more. And for Alderweireld, at 30 years old, this is really his chance for a last big payday. And I think that Eriksen, in particular, at 27 years old which should be his prime is... primed for a big money move as a free agent.

Pochettino isn't in charge of the wage structure at Tottenham, that's Levy's domain. So I think it's overly harsh to fault Pochettino the situation Spurs are in where they're running the risk of losing a lot of players on free transfers at the end of the season - I think that's the fault of Tottenham's rise and the fact their wages are relatively low for the performances they've put in over the past few years.

I think Pochettino's done a great job at Spurs and I'm sure there are loads of players around Europe that would want to play for him and for this Tottenham side. And if you compare Tottenham to where they are now to where they were before they appointed him - it's pretty clear, he's raised the stature and expectation of the club pretty significantly. I think as a result, he can be afforded a run of poor results and be afforded time to right the ship - I think when you've got a manager who's proven they can do great things even while working with limitations, they can be afforded time to right their wrongs (it's also why I was against Rafa getting sacked from us under those twats Gillett and Hicks). Poch has proven he can do great things even while working with limitations.

But yeah, obviously things aren't right with Spurs. But he should be afforded time to fix these issues - he's definitely their best manager in a very long time. And if he does leave Spurs, I suspect it would be because the club's wage structure is holding the club's ambition back - thus holding him back. There were comments before the CL final that he wasn't sure he'd be staying or how long he'd be staying... I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave and go somewhere with a bit more financial backing.

But at the same time... his stock as a manager depends on whether he can steady the ship. Because if you're only as good as your last match, then he's only as good as a 7-2 loss in the Champions League... which doesn't look too appealing to clubs with greater stature than Spurs.

So ultimately, I think he should stay at Spurs. I think he'd right the ship. And Levy should be willing to loosen the purse strings more for him. 

Realistically Spurs aren't going to overreach themselves to compete with Manchester City and Liverpool at the top, certainly for now. Levy is shrewd and knows Spurs need to keep consolidating while the stadium is new, grow the club and spend when they can afford it. Frustrating for Spurs fans, definitely, but probably the most sensible option. Sadly it means Pochettino will most likely leave in the next year or so.

1 hour ago, 6666 said:

They wont sack him. Don't think they should either. He is extremely overrated but he's still a good manager. They know that. Only reason to sack him would be if the players have turned on him.

I don't think they will sack him, but if they do I reckon it'll be low key like Arsenal did to Wenger just out of respect. Sure Poch has won nothing, but a historically important yet underachieving team like Spurs reaching the CL final is something.

Obviously too early in the season to leave now. You could walk into Madrid and be sacked before you even get to January. Also mid season at any point is not a good way to go for a man who has generally maintained very strong professionalism and respect for his clubs and former clubs.

Let him stay and sign a long contract, he is doing a fantastic job :D 

Tottenham have turned into Arsenal under Wenger all of a sudden now they are in their new stadium xD  Players fighting, players running down their contracts, no money for transfers due to the new stadium, when they do make offers for players they are coming up with ridiculous pay structures like including a fee of 25 million if they win the league or Champions league, that is why Lisbon rejected the bid for Fernades. 

3 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

I’ve never got the widely held belief that Pochettino needs to win a trophy all of a sudden. 

They shouldn’t sack him. Why would they?

Possible reason is he may be losing the dressing room? Something certainly isnt right as things stand.

4 hours ago, Harvsky said:

Would a new manager actually fix Spurs issue of players shagging each others wives and knocking each other out? 

That thing with Vertonghen and Eriksen is a bs rumour only yeah? 

1 hour ago, LFCMadLad said:

Possible reason is he may be losing the dressing room? Something certainly isnt right as things stand.

Results like the one on Tuesday night certainly make you question whether the players are still playing for the manager. 

2 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

Bin those players then. You don’t go from a good manager to being sacked in a matter of five months. If the players are downing tools, that says more about them as players and people than Pochettino. 

Just now, Smiley Culture said:

Bin those players then. You don’t go from a good manager to being sacked in a matter of five months. If the players are downing tools, that says more about them as players and people than Pochettino. 

That's not how it works and you know it. When a manager loses the dressing room (even if it's not entirely their fault), they are gone. 

A club cant just replace half their players. 

I think it is a tough moment for Tottenham football club, not just the manager or the players. 

I personally believe Pochetino has worked miracles at Spurs since arriving there. A net spend of 87 million pounds in five years, whilst securing champions league football every season and then reaching the champions league final! However, it appears that this period could be over, and I would not only point fingers at the manager. 
There is a list of players such as; Eriksen, Alderwierld and Vertongen (potentially more i have missed out on) are running down their contracts, and you have to ask why? I would suggest that this is because of the powers that be above the manager. He simply has not invested in the team, I am aware that they have just pumped vast amounts of money into the new stadium, but the squad needs strengthening. And, I also question Mr. Levy because if you are a football at Tottenham right now, surely you would be very happy? New stadium, great manager, some top quality players in the squad, you have a real chance to do something and achieve something so why would you be turning down a new contract? Because they know they won't be any more investment? or because they know they can receive more money elsewhere? Or because they do not feel appreciated? 
But, after those points, I also believe Poch should front some of the blame. He wanted to get rid of the likes of Danny Rose and Eric Dier last summer, and successfully offloaded Trippier, for me this was a mistake. Look at the right-back birth at the moment and they are crying out for one, Aurier just simply is not good enough and Walkers-Pieters is young and injured. Also, with the likes of Eriksen not wanting to sign a new contract, this has lead to him being in the starting team one week and out the next.

Poch has to accept that he has made mistakes, but ultimately it is the board level problem for me. 
Poch should leave,  he should go to Madrid. I think he is a very good manager, but the lack of trophies is alarming. 

Last point/comment i will say is,  Is Pochetino an improved version of David Moyes?  
Both took average teams to heights (Spurs and Everton) they should not have been at, limited budget but overachieved. Both never one a trophy but did much better than predicted. For the sake of the club that employes Poch next, I hope is not a version of David Moyes.

• Subscriber
20 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

That's not how it works and you know it. When a manager loses the dressing room (even if it's not entirely their fault), they are gone. 

A club cant just replace half their players. 

And this is why football is shite. Players are fully aware of this and commonly put more effort into playing this game accordingly than the game they're paid to play.

I now think he should walk before his dickhead players make him look even worse than the last few matches.

And yeah, these last few matches have him coming off like he’s rolled around in cow shit. So he’s sort of trapped between a rock and a hard place

9 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

Welcome to TR365 @paulsb96, nice to have a Mariner supporter aboard and I am sure @Pyfish will welcome you too as him being a Grimbsy man, keep posting.  :ay:

Saying all that why don't you introduce yourself here and let us know how you became a Mariner.

Hello everyone, 

Thank you for the welcome message @CaaC (John) 

I am an avid football fan of all levels, my main football club is Grimsby Town as I am from Cleethorpes. Grown up supporting the Mariners, watching them regularly and holding a season ticket for four seasons. Sadly, since moving abroad I have not been able to see the Mariners as much as I would like but still check in on them daily. We have a very strong team this season and I am full of optimism for the future under our current manager. 
When it comes to the Premier League, I have come from a family of Manchester United fans, so have a little bit of an interest for them, but prefer Arsenal. I live in the Netherlands, so I also follow the European leagues and just a very big fan of football.

Archived