talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

ESPN And Bundesliga Sign Six-Year U.S. Television Deal

1 minute ago, Eco said:

Yeah - I get it through the company so I don't pay for it. 

But once I realized that these Europeans don't know ESPN+, this news isn't as exciting as it is for me...in fact it might actually infuriate them considering I bet if @Tommy was to do it legally, it'd be near impossible to watch all Bundesliga matches. 

Oh when my family was out here visiting... they were furious at how many more prem matches we get televised compared to how many they get at home. So yeah, I'm sure US viewers will get more German football than the Germans do - which is ridiculous, but that's the way it goes with TV rights.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
1 minute ago, Eco said:

Ha - yes, I will then have access to all of the Star Wars films. :D

While I love the original 3, I haven't seen ANY other than those (I don't watch a lot of movies), but I'll certainly start my SW binge when the service starts. 

I'm mostly interested in The Mandalorian and other upcoming live-action TV series in the future... 

1 minute ago, nudge said:

I'm mostly interested in The Mandalorian and other upcoming live-action TV series in the future... 

Once it starts, I'll let you know and we'll see if we can get something worked out. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Oh when my family was out here visiting... they were furious at how many more prem matches we get televised compared to how many they get at home. So yeah, I'm sure US viewers will get more German football than the Germans do - which is ridiculous, but that's the way it goes with TV rights.

I got pretty much all Bundesliga matches in Cambodia through cable TV (basically through a combination of Fox Sports Asia channels + numerous Vietnamese channels) that was included in my rental contract so essentially free of charge for me haha.

1 hour ago, Eco said:

I bet if @Tommy was to do it legally, it'd be near impossible to watch all Bundesliga matches. 

Well, I get to see everything except the Friday match and the odd Monday match. But I made a DAZN "monthly free trial", so I'll be able to see the rest as well. And if that free trial ends, well let's just say I have a couple of more email addresses up my sleeve for a few more "free trials" ;)

13 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Well, I get to see everything except the Friday match and the odd Monday match. But I made a DAZN "monthly free trial", so I'll be able to see the rest as well. And if that free trial ends, well let's just say I have a couple of more email addresses up my sleeve for a few more "free trials" ;)

Still it's an effrontery you have to pay 25 Euros a month to see less matches than Americans for 12 Dollars in the same time.

27 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Still it's an effrontery you have to pay 25 Euros a month to see less matches than Americans for 12 Dollars in the same time.

Yea, that's true. But at least I live in a country that isn't ruled by an orange clown, and where you have to be scared to get shot at every corner. 

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

Class. 

Yeah - Usually I feel like locals are stuck to doing that, whereas I'll be able to watch them all for what I consider a 'reasonable' fee. 

Having travelled around with my Huawei I have been able to subscribe to channels  legally in different countries.  My US set includes ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN News ESPN plus and ESPN U so probably that will work if I stop my Sky de subs, but BT in UK is fine for Friday and the late matches over the weekend - I use the Sky de for Sat afternoons.  As far as I am aware I cannot legally get them on my PC (other than mirrorcast from my laptop to PC or TV for full size pictures, but engaging in the countries for a subscription on the laptop has never been a problem - particularly as the subs are registered  at my residence stops there!  The big advantage with some of the subs is that I get the normal channels as well and on Saturdays NBCsN is good for PL games as well!  It may sound expensive, but every time I travel to the Veltins for one game, ticket and flights are more expensive than the Sky de yearly subs so it is not a silly as it first sounds!  All you need is a relative living in the right place!^_^

Sadly, The Mandalorian which starts in November is on the Disney streaming service so that's out, but at least I got to see Series 3 Ep 1 of Young Sheldon last week and wait for 2 tonight (tomorrow morning)! Sad that really, but I'm sorry, I'm hooked on the looney briiliant kid! (in a morally decent way that is!) Tommy's comment is a little harsh (Yea, that's true. But at least I live in a country that isn't ruled by an orange clown, and where you have to be scared to get shot at every corner. ) but at least the Americans tend to repair the roads better and a lot quicker than they do in Dusseldorf.

Lol I’ve lived in some of the most gun-happy states in the US my entire life, and I’ve literally never once feared for my life (well, aside from the time I went out on NYE in Chicago in inadequate winter attire 😳 horrendous mistake). Your media blows that whole situation waaaaay out of proportion for easy clicks (and other reasons he won’t get into here). I’m glad you had a nice trip though, Alan, and I’m glad you enjoyed our marvelously smooth roads 😁👍🏻

Anyway, I am THRILLED with this decision. Fox Matchpass is a terrible, terribly overpriced service and I can’t wait to see the backside of it. They lost the rights to the UEFA CL & EL, and their price went up?! It’s over twice as much as ESPN+ as is! With how often they love spotting HSV games during primetime TV slots (and often while I work), it’s simply the only way for me to consistently get the matches. As such, I couldn’t be more thrilled, and especially in time for a (hopeful) return to the Ersteliga 😁😗😐🙁🙏🏻

Chadwell!

Happy to hear things are Ok with you in US of A.  An aside regarding the roads, I know I was critical of Dusseldorf, but trying to get into the hotel in Montreal was almost like accessing a bomb-site - and I was told it had been like that for weeks with no sign of completion.  Perhaps we could ask others on here how their local area is coping with weather changes which are undermining the hard core under our roadways!  After a hard winter here the pot holes are sometimes positively dangerous and very little seems to be done at times.

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/10/2019 at 15:41, Chadwell said:

Lol I’ve lived in some of the most gun-happy states in the US my entire life, and I’ve literally never once feared for my life (well, aside from the time I went out on NYE in Chicago in inadequate winter attire 😳 horrendous mistake). Your media blows that whole situation waaaaay out of proportion for easy clicks (and other reasons he won’t get into here). I’m glad you had a nice trip though, Alan, and I’m glad you enjoyed our marvelously smooth roads 😁👍🏻

Anyway, I am THRILLED with this decision. Fox Matchpass is a terrible, terribly overpriced service and I can’t wait to see the backside of it. They lost the rights to the UEFA CL & EL, and their price went up?! It’s over twice as much as ESPN+ as is! With how often they love spotting HSV games during primetime TV slots (and often while I work), it’s simply the only way for me to consistently get the matches. As such, I couldn’t be more thrilled, and especially in time for a (hopeful) return to the Ersteliga 😁😗😐🙁🙏🏻

I'm late on seeing this, but I agree, I'm from the South and not once have I honestly feared for my life. 

I am still happy about this, as I'm with you in that Fox both sucked AND was too expensive. This will be a much better deal for everyone as ESPN absolutely kills it with their Serie A coverage. 

• Subscriber

I find the irrational fear and scaremongering has been a very very sad trend in the last decade or two. Shit happens but the World is not such a dangerous place as people make it out to be. 

16 minutes ago, nudge said:

I find the irrational fear and scaremongering has been a very very sad trend in the last decade or two. Shit happens but the World is not such a dangerous place as people make it out to be. 

Absolutely right. This can be acknowledged by anyone, regardless of where you lie on the political spectrum or your personal beliefs, as it's a issue with how mainstream media itself works in the context of modern times - and both sides of mainstream media at that. It's just simple economics and a bit of psychology, as these are corporations which must see growth measured to them in viewership, and an easy way to whip up mass viewership is to convey to the public than any given situation is deteriorating. What do people do when they perceive the structures around them and the situations that influence them to be deteriorating? Why watch more news of course, because people feel compelled to pursue the defense mechanism of an illusion of safety in feeling "in the know." It's lightwork for these mass media outlets, and even very bright people lap it up. 

There are undeniable problems out there, and we should always strive for rectification of these and for general improvement, but I wouldn't trade living right now for any other time whatsoever. Human rights have never been better and more widely protected and advocated, the global society has become vastly more egalitarian, and poverty levels continue to recede across the planet. That's just not fun stuff for the mass media to talk about though lol, plain and simple.

Archived