Sunday 6th October, 2019
Arsenal vs Bournemouth, 14.00
Man City vs Wolves, 14.00

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
7 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Nice to see the officials will be partial at Anfield. They are sending Chris Kavanagh, born in Manchester, to referee this match and Antony "born and raised in Manchester" Taylor as the VAR.

What could go wrong? :ph34r:

Excuses in early then ;) 

• Subscriber

My worry for this one is that he views Maddison as key (fair enough) and doesn't want to drop Praet after his performance (fair enough) so as a result conjures up a set up where he puts Maddison on the left. I hate it. It doesn't particularly help us defensively and going forward it makes us extremely ordinary. The record with him on the wing compared to in the middle is so drastic that it baffles me he'd even entertain it but he's done it in the face of those stats already.

It's tricky to know what to do really. Do we set up our usual way and think this could unsettle Liverpool in itself, or do we go conservative but risk be getting picked off anyway. The likelihood is we'll lose the game but you've got to say based on the way the season's gone so far this is one of their biggest tests, and they've not been all that convincing in the last few games even if the results have still come.

We've got it in us to surprise. We put in a great effort in this fixture last season and were the last team to avoid defeat at Anfield. But that said Liverpool have such a habit of winning that you feel like they just won't drop points no matter how the game pans out.

I know it’s only TalkSport and it’s full of clowns but they’re talking about Everton sacking Silva if they lose a fourth game on the trot. Is that what we’ve come to now, lose four games and you’re out? 

Now, I’m no Silva fan but sacking someone for losing four games is ludicrous. 

5 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

I know it’s only TalkSport and it’s full of clowns but they’re talking about Everton sacking Silva if they lose a fourth game on the trot. Is that what we’ve come to now, lose four games and you’re out? 

Now, I’m no Silva fan but sacking someone for losing four games is ludicrous. 

I can't listen to Talksport at all, it's essentially The Sun on the radio.

However, this isn't any different to every season is it? Bad start, club with supposed ambitions, you're going to get it. If they lose at Burnley he'd certainly be under big pressure.

9 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

I can't listen to Talksport at all, it's essentially The Sun on the radio.

However, this isn't any different to every season is it? Bad start, club with supposed ambitions, you're going to get it. If they lose at Burnley he'd certainly be under big pressure.

Some days it’s better than others but that Durham is an insufferable buffoon. 

I can’t say I can remember such pressure on a manager for four losses. 

• Subscriber

It's been a poor start to the season but like I said elsewhere it's ridiculous for a manager who ended up pretty much meeting expectations last season and finished the season strongly too.

That said, there's enough rabid Everton fans who are in the same place over Silva. I expect this sort of thing from TalkSport and The Mail and The Sun, but when loads of our fans seem to be on the same train of thought already, that's where I feel as if I'm losing touch with the whole thing.

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Matip out? Leicester fans must be made up.

Given he's been the best defender this season so far them, it's still only ever so slightly something positive. Let's not act like the rest of the squad won't be able to cope - there's still quality all around. They have adequate replacement in Gomez anyway.

2 hours ago, Stan said:

Given he's been the best defender this season so far them, it's still only ever so slightly something positive. Let's not act like the rest of the squad won't be able to cope - there's still quality all around. They have adequate replacement in Gomez anyway.

I think you should be confident of getting a result. Don't get me wrong, Liverpool at full throttle will be hard to cope with and you'll likely lose. But anything less, you've got enough to get a couple of goals there.

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

It's been a poor start to the season but like I said elsewhere it's ridiculous for a manager who ended up pretty much meeting expectations last season and finished the season strongly too.

That said, there's enough rabid Everton fans who are in the same place over Silva. I expect this sort of thing from TalkSport and The Mail and The Sun, but when loads of our fans seem to be on the same train of thought already, that's where I feel as if I'm losing touch with the whole thing.

It would be as stupid as Spurs getting rid of Poch for a bad start to the season.

• Administrator
46 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

I think you should be confident of getting a result. Don't get me wrong, Liverpool at full throttle will be hard to cope with and you'll likely lose. But anything less, you've got enough to get a couple of goals there.

I'd agree. We have a good balance to our squad and seem to be fairly confident under Rodgers right now.

Just hope we don't revert back to playing Maddison LW and losing shape. Also hope we don't come crashing back down to earth by being too open as well. Definitely have enough confidence to create decent chances and take the game to them.

• Subscriber
57 minutes ago, Pyfish said:

It would be as stupid as Spurs getting rid of Poch for a bad start to the season.

Not quite as Poch has a bit more to fall back on than the one decent season Silva has but both would be silly I agree.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Stan said:

I'd agree. We have a good balance to our squad and seem to be fairly confident under Rodgers right now.

Just hope we don't revert back to playing Maddison LW and losing shape. Also hope we don't come crashing back down to earth by being too open as well. Definitely have enough confidence to create decent chances and take the game to them.

Can you honestly see any benefit to it at all? I don't see how it even makes us more defensively capable.

I'd rather keep Maddison off completely than play him out wide.

I think Praet needs to start.

I think there's a case for Albrighton, but I'd like to see Barnes as well because I think we need a bit more of a pacey threat out wide. That's the key to it for me - Barnes hasn't been amazing, he's been so so, but he's a direct runner and that alone stretches the play in a way Maddison simply won't.

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Dan said:

Can you honestly see any benefit to it at all? I don't see how it even makes us more defensively capable.

I'd rather keep Maddison off completely than play him out wide.

I think Praet needs to start.

I think there's a case for Albrighton, but I'd like to see Barnes as well because I think we need a bit more of a pacey threat out wide. That's the key to it for me - Barnes hasn't been amazing, he's been so so, but he's a direct runner and that alone stretches the play in a way Maddison simply won't.

Not at all. Not when you see how confidently and fluidly we play when he's playing centrally! It doesn't really make sense. It's not like he'll be able to take on Robertson like a quality winger would. The only plus I could see (for this game) is the space he could exploit for when Robertson bombs forward. It'll be more space than he gets in the middle of the park. But, I definitely don't want him there.

We'd need a proper winger there - happy with Barnes and Albrighton to both play. A game like tomorrow's needs the work-rate of Albrighton and his delivery. Perez can be dropped to the bench. Wouldn't mind the same as you - Praet to start and Maddison on the bench as well; Praet was so comfortable on the ball last weekend.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived