talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Other Matches - 5-6th October, 2019

football forum

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

You mean this? 

Honestly, I was just laughing when he did it. The look on Messi's face when it happens is priceless.

Of course you would.

If someone like Pique did that to one of your front 3 I imagine the reaction would be very different...

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Lucas said:

Not being funny but Liverpool are 8pts clear. No major injuries to contend with. Big enough squad. European Champions also, so they aren't a bad side are they.

It will be a failure to blow it from here. And I would be gutted if I was a Liverpool fan and they did. 

You can legislate them getting wobbly last year because they were not used to being top and chased. But they have that experience under their belt now.

There are no excuses for me. This isn't a shock team like when Leicester lead the league. They should be winning this competition now.

They have to, its a golden chance.

The gap is only two defeats and a draw. Or four draws.

I'd agree if we were up against any normal side but this City side isn't, even if they've looked vulnerable so far. It's not really much different to their run just before Christmas last season so far.

Last season they won 14 in a row and the season before they won 18 in a row. If they do that at some point again then it will be close again at the very least. Unless you think Liverpool should be getting about 110 points to make sure it's not close?xD

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Unless you think Liverpool should be getting about 110 points to make sure it's not close?

You look good enough to not lose this season to be fair...

5 minutes ago, Stan said:

You look good enough to not lose this season to be fair...

At the moment we do yeah but when we have a bit of a fixture pile up come December time will be a real test. We'll have a couple of extra games with the Club World Cup and end up having a game or two in hand

• Subscriber
45 minutes ago, Stan said:

Of course you would.

If someone like Pique did that to one of your front 3 I imagine the reaction would be very different...

Absolutely. I suppose thats how fan should be though and while I know its a dick thing to do at the time it was done there was a fair bit of winding up going on. You ever see his comments on Luis Suarez when the commentator asked him about how he was falling behind him at one point? The Messi head bob is way less worse than that imo.

1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

The gap is only two defeats and a draw. Or four draws.

I'd agree if we were up against any normal side but this City side isn't, even if they've looked vulnerable so far. It's not really much different to their run just before Christmas last season so far.

Last season they won 14 in a row and the season before they won 18 in a row. If they do that at some point again then it will be close again at the very least. Unless you think Liverpool should be getting about 110 points to make sure it's not close?xD

Let's not be silly Mike. I'm not suggesting Liverpool should be getting that points figure. You know this.

I'm simply saying you should win it from here now. You are almost level pegging with City on ability, you should be winning it from here now no excuses.

What is interesting is that you look at the possibility thay City will necessarily put that run together.

They are more likely to drop more points yet, as will Liverpool of course, but that gap is a solid gap to have from your point of view.

And who is to say it will only shorten? Why can't it widen and get bigger, to a point where City are looking at a 12 point plus gap?

This is not intended to be anything negative towards Liverpool. I'm simply saying you have to be looking at this as yours to lose, especially as you lost one league game all last season. The odds are greatly in your favour. 

13 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Let's not be silly Mike. I'm not suggesting Liverpool should be getting that points figure. You know this.

I'm simply saying you should win it from here now. You are almost level pegging with City on ability, you should be winning it from here now no excuses.

What is interesting is that you look at the possibility thay City will necessarily put that run together.

They are more likely to drop more points yet, as will Liverpool of course, but that gap is a solid gap to have from your point of view.

And who is to say it will only shorten? Why can't it widen and get bigger, to a point where City are looking at a 12 point plus gap?

This is not intended to be anything negative towards Liverpool. I'm simply saying you have to be looking at this as yours to lose, especially as you lost one league game all last season. The odds are greatly in your favour. 

Well yeah, I'm looking at the possibility of them putting a long winning run together because it's happened the last two seasons. There's every chance they do it again.

It's a nice lead to have but we're not even a quarter of the way in yet

• Subscriber

I genuinely think Liverpool will do it this time. I can easily see them getting towards 100 point territory again more than I can see City going on another insane "however many games it takes to just get back ahead" winning streak to overturn the deficit.

I don't think we're in "Liverpool have bottled it if they don't do it this time" territory though. It was past Christmas last season when they were 5 clear with a game in hand or something like that and they were pegged back despite winning basically every other game all season including several tight ones where they had the opportunity to slip up, and losing just the one to Man City. If City can replicate their last two campaigns, Liverpool could still have an excellent rest of the season by anyone's standards but end up 2nd. It's far too early to say "they shouldn't lose it from here".

I hadn't thought about the Club World Cup. I suppose that's one more thing that could fuck them up a little bit.

I just look at this City side and think, they've just put two almost impossibly good seasons together, Kompany's gone, the Laporte injury is going to hit them hard, the likes of Silva and Aguero are another year older and they've been back to the well so many times before. I can see them landing more around the 85-90 point mark this season (which is still outrageously good) while I don't see any reason why Liverpool aren't highly likely to beat that.

Not having this “ours to lose” bollocks. It’s seven points, 8 games into a 38 game season. Three quarters left to play...including City twice. So say we lose both those and maybe draw a handful, that would still be an incredible season. It will be hard to beat our points tally last season, and even though I don’t think City will go on a 20 game unbeaten run this time around; it’s still a possibility. That team will bounce back. We just have to keep our heads, not get cocky, and just continue fighting every minute of every game. 

My heart has been broken the last three times we have come close, I can’t start getting too excited just yet. If it was February, I’d be confident. But it’s October and I’m not. 

Archived