talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Hundred

football forum

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don’t mind the sound of it, tbh. I enjoyed Twenty20 when it first come out and I think this will have a similar effect on the game of Cricket and it’s just happened to coincide with a spell of success for English Cricket, so it’ll be well attended, I feel. 

The team names aren’t all that and the colours are a bit out there, mind. Turns out I’m a London Spirit man, by all accounts. 

I signed up to the mailing list for this, so I will try and get to a game at Chelmsford. 

• Administrator

Looks like shite to be honest and was from the first moment it got talked about.

Kits, sponsors, team names, the whole concept of it all.

It goes against the true nature of cricket (I know the same may have been said about T20 but at least they can keep it to 6 balls an over when it comes to change of ends). 

This shite about bowlers delivering 5 or 10 balls successively is rubbish. 

This is also probably another - maybe the final - nail in the coffin for County Championship cricket. That's been dwindling for ages and now this competition will take more fans away from the traditional 4-day game. 

The 8 regions are bollocks as well - caters for the bigger/richer counties (Yorkshire/Surrey/Notts/Middlesex etc) to keep nabbing players off the smaller/poorer counties and then go in to play in this competition.

I'm really not a fan of it and it'll take a lot to convince me to get to like it. T20 was an instant hit because it was actually revolutionary compared to other formats. This is an even shorter version of that and smacks of the ECB (?) trying too hard to fit in and create a popular competition. 

Agree with @Fairy In Boots that the current T20 competition, the Natwest Blast at the moment, could have been improved or backed even more. Free-to-air coverage would have been better. 

Trying to copy the Aussies really, I feel like they couldn’t go city based in the t20 so they’ve done it with a new competition? City based teams would be good for cricket in general but this seems a bit shit...

The names are ridiculous but obviously aimed at children and not adults, doesn’t one of the kits have a massive hula hoops sponsor on it??

37 minutes ago, Stan said:

Looks like shite to be honest and was from the first moment it got talked about.

Kits, sponsors, team names, the whole concept of it all.

It goes against the true nature of cricket (I know the same may have been said about T20 but at least they can keep it to 6 balls an over when it comes to change of ends). 

This shite about bowlers delivering 5 or 10 balls successively is rubbish. 

This is also probably another - maybe the final - nail in the coffin for County Championship cricket. That's been dwindling for ages and now this competition will take more fans away from the traditional 4-day game. 

The 8 regions are bollocks as well - caters for the bigger/richer counties (Yorkshire/Surrey/Notts/Middlesex etc) to keep nabbing players off the smaller/poorer counties and then go in to play in this competition.

I'm really not a fan of it and it'll take a lot to convince me to get to like it. T20 was an instant hit because it was actually revolutionary compared to other formats. This is an even shorter version of that and smacks of the ECB (?) trying too hard to fit in and create a popular competition. 

Agree with @Fairy In Boots that the current T20 competition, the Natwest Blast at the moment, could have been improved or backed even more. Free-to-air coverage would have been better. 

The demographic of cricket fans who attend traditional county championship cricket will likely be very different to those who attend T20 games, so I don’t think the introduction of another format will see a surge of people deserting the 4 day game for The Hundred. 

County Cricket is dying. How teams manage to make a living is actually unbelievable.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Danny said:

The names are ridiculous but obviously aimed at children and not adults, doesn’t one of the kits have a massive hula hoops sponsor on it??

It's sponsored by KP (the food, not the cricketer) so they're all crisp/snack-based sponsors. 

Archived