talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Why do little things irritate us as humans?

football forum

• Subscriber

Small things really wind us up in life, too the extent where we really can lose it. 

With all the major things going on in the world, why do the smaller annoying things really bring the worst out of us?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, MUFC said:

Small things really wind us up in life, too the extent where we really can lose it. 

With all the major things going on in the world, why do the smaller annoying things really bring the worst out of us?

Sometimes I feel like people have quotas of negative emotions, so if everything's peachy and there's nothing serious pissing you off in your life you'll just wind up finding those little things even more annoying.

4 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

I swear to god if one more bastard goes straight on from the right lane at a roundabout and cuts me up, I’ll be in the papers.....

What if both lanes can go straight? 

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

I swear to god if one more bastard goes straight on from the right lane at a roundabout and cuts me up, I’ll be in the papers.....

Oh man don't get me started on road-based gear-grinders. 

Hate when people don't indicate when coming off a roundabout so you don't know which way they're going (when there's more than one option).
Hate when cyclists are in the middle of the road and don't let traffic past. Total lack of awareness of surroundings and for other traffic users.
Hate middle-lane wankers! They're actually quite dangerous?!
Lorries over-taking other lorries at the same place are just a waste of space. Ends up holding traffic up. 
Rubber-necking! This is so bad as well. Concentrate on the road you're on and don't nearly cause another accident looking at another one!

27 minutes ago, Stan said:

Oh man don't get me started on road-based gear-grinders. 

Hate when people don't indicate when coming off a roundabout so you don't know which way they're going (when there's more than one option).
Hate when cyclists are in the middle of the road and don't let traffic past. Total lack of awareness of surroundings and for other traffic users.
Hate middle-lane wankers! They're actually quite dangerous?!
Lorries over-taking other lorries at the same place are just a waste of space. Ends up holding traffic up. 
Rubber-necking! This is so bad as well. Concentrate on the road you're on and don't nearly cause another accident looking at another one!

If you've ever cycled on a public road, you'd understand why cyclists cycle in the middle of the road. The sides of the roads are always full of glass and debris that'll puncture a tyre pretty easily, especially on a road bike.

Also no different from an 80+ year old doing 20mph.

• Subscriber

Thinking about it. As humans we're more involved and caught up in smaller issues on a daily basis.

You can argue that a large number of small issues feel like one big issue.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Harry said:

Sometimes I feel like people have quotas of negative emotions, so if everything's peachy and there's nothing serious pissing you off in your life you'll just wind up finding those little things even more annoying.

I believe it may vary from individual to individual but for me it's the complete opposite and I'd even say that's the case for most other people as well. Personally I'm not bothered by small trivial things when everything else is fine. But whenever there's more stress, worries and overall negative emotions in my life, that's when I also start getting irritated by trivial things that essentially don't  matter.  So cumulative stress is a big reason. Also lack of sleep & tiredness. I used to deal with that well when I was younger but nowadays extreme lack of sleep can make me snap really easily. Same with hunger and low blood sugar. Also hormonal changes (joys of being a woman haha). Anger can mask many things. Although in my case it's less of anger and more of feeling like crying xD 

• Administrator
35 minutes ago, Rab said:

If you've ever cycled on a public road, you'd understand why cyclists cycle in the middle of the road. The sides of the roads are always full of glass and debris that'll puncture a tyre pretty easily, especially on a road bike.

Also no different from an 80+ year old doing 20mph.

I have cycled on public roads. Let's face it though - not every single stretch of public road is covered with glass/debris. When they're constantly in the middle of the road it's frustrating.

Agree with slow-driving. Equally frustrating and a hindrance to other road users. 

20 minutes ago, Stan said:

I have cycled on public roads. Let's face it though - not every single stretch of public road is covered with glass/debris. When they're constantly in the middle of the road it's frustrating.

Agree with slow-driving. Equally frustrating and a hindrance to other road users. 

You're right, it's not but it's just easier to cycle in the middle. If you're cycling off to the left and you see some glass up ahead, slowing down or swerving to avoid it is even more dangerous than cycling down the middle. Especially when you're got people right up your arse.

• Subscriber

Don't drive but walking along a footpath can piss me off a lot, walking along and you see 3/4 people abreast nattering away so you edge towards the inside and all they do is keep walking until they crash into you then they look at you if to say "why didn't you move onto the road?"

Same in a super-market and two people nattering away in the aisle with trolleys blocking, see you coming and just stand there waiting for you to say "Excuse me please...", the wife stops and say's the latter but not me, I grab the trolley and just push threw them THEN say "excuse me please." 

• Subscriber
57 minutes ago, Rab said:

You're right, it's not but it's just easier to cycle in the middle. If you're cycling off to the left and you see some glass up ahead, slowing down or swerving to avoid it is even more dangerous than cycling down the middle. Especially when you're got people right up your arse.

Any pics?

I think everyone is used to life being pretty tedious and stressful, so when some people decide to make it worse in various little ways, it grates us even more. Particularly when they come from basic lack of awareness of others or basic common sense. 

Little things tend to make me laugh most of the time but get a build up of them throughout the day and it starts to get on my tits so for me it would be a culmination of stuff on one particular day that would set me off rather than random one off events spread out across a week for example.. 

Archived