talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

NHL

football forum

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Spike said:

@Viva la FCB thoughts on adam gaudette?

Not a great driver of play, not great at puck recovery or strong in the corners/walls or on the puck, not great defensively. Has a wicked shot though, and good scoring touch. He got his chance at center but hes not responsible enough and was even worse this season so we moved him to the wing. Ideally he should be a winger, hes not good at faceoffs either. Tough call overall, he was diagnosed earlier this year with a stomach issue (wheat/dairy sensitivity kinda thing if memory serves) hes always had trouble keeping down foods and feeling ill and finally trainers/doctors and him seemed to figure it out. So presumably he could put on some more weight now and come back stronger and improve upon some of his short comings and have a bounce back season next year. The defensive liability I think will always be there hence hes probably a pretty solid third line winger as a ceiling.

Alot of rumours about behind the scenes things about him wanting a better opportunity or a move himself, coupled with management and coach not being happy with alot of his play and more rumours behind him being the patient 0 of our covid outbreak it seemed like we just watned/needed to move him on.

I know nothing of Highmore but from what ive heard and read he sounds like your dime a dozen fringe 4th line grinder, lots of try, no offence. Correct me if im wrong? trade definitely seems like a win for you guys though If Guad can even get back to what he was he did have 33pts in 59 games last season and looked alot more promising. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Not a great driver of play, not great at puck recovery or strong in the corners/walls or on the puck, not great defensively. Has a wicked shot though, and good scoring touch. He got his chance at center but hes not responsible enough and was even worse this season so we moved him to the wing. Ideally he should be a winger, hes not good at faceoffs either. Tough call overall, he was diagnosed earlier this year with a stomach issue (wheat/dairy sensitivity kinda thing if memory serves) hes always had trouble keeping down foods and feeling ill and finally trainers/doctors and him seemed to figure it out. So presumably he could put on some more weight now and come back stronger and improve upon some of his short comings and have a bounce back season next year. The defensive liability I think will always be there hence hes probably a pretty solid third line winger as a ceiling.

Alot of rumours about behind the scenes things about him wanting a better opportunity or a move himself, coupled with management and coach not being happy with alot of his play and more rumours behind him being the patient 0 of our covid outbreak it seemed like we just watned/needed to move him on.

I know nothing of Highmore but from what ive heard and read he sounds like your dime a dozen fringe 4th line grinder, lots of try, no offence. Correct me if im wrong? trade definitely seems like a win for you guys though If Guad can even get back to what he was he did have 33pts in 59 games last season and looked alot more promising. 

100% right on highmore, fast and aggressive with little end product. He isn't even a fourth liner, a rotation player. gaudette sounds strictly like a sniper, shame he can't dangle the puck though

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Spike said:

100% right on highmore, fast and aggressive with little end product. He isn't even a fourth liner, a rotation player. gaudette sounds strictly like a sniper, shame he can't dangle the puck though

He can and does try on occasion but he gets bumped off and stripped to easily. Thats one of the areas I think that could be helped if he can put on some weight finally and get stronger. Definitely has some snipes though and the best part is you get his celly's. Top class celly's. 

Just now, Viva la FCB said:

He can and does try on occasion but he gets bumped off and stripped to easily. Thats one of the areas I think that could be helped if he can put on some weight finally and get stronger. Definitely has some snipes though and the best part is you get his celly's. Top class celly's. 

Sounds like you guys got fleeced. Should have at least got a player like Janmark.

• Subscriber
Just now, Spike said:

Sounds like you guys got fleeced. Should have at least got a player like Janmark.

Thats the thing that I didnt understand when I saw the deal, like youd have to think he could at least fetch you something like a 3rd or at the very least 4th round pick. Theres been about 3 insiders with some scuttle about covid though, possibly even going to whistler which has been fucked for awhile now and the varient was prevalent there that they did catch. Apparently unhappy teammates about that coupled with management and coaches not happy with his on ice stuff might have just amounted to moving him for the sake of moving him now. Some social media stuff apparently with a bunch of guys unfollowing his social medias right away and no comments being made publically about him leaving. Everything together id lean towards believing the truth is somewhere in the middle.

• The title was changed to NHL

What a beautiful run Montreal are on. I was sure they were going to lose to the Leafs in 4, maybe 5 games, but after losing 3 in a row to Toronto, they have now won 7 in a row and are the first team to qualify for the Conference Finals. They will either get Vegas or Avs which should be a lopsided matchup, but this run has been fun.

I absolutely despise the Jets and the Leafs, so it's be great swimming in both of their tears for the past month.

• Subscriber
38 minutes ago, Eco said:

What a beautiful run Montreal are on. I was sure they were going to lose to the Leafs in 4, maybe 5 games, but after losing 3 in a row to Toronto, they have now won 7 in a row and are the first team to qualify for the Conference Finals. They will either get Vegas or Avs which should be a lopsided matchup, but this run has been fun.

I absolutely despise the Jets and the Leafs, so it's be great swimming in both of their tears for the past month.

I dont bangwagon on any Canadian teams but the Jets are the one team in Canada I wouldnt mind actually go on a run and win a cup. Alot of likeable players, very strong fwd depth and an allstar goalie, why dont you like them out of curiosity? 

Will be interesting to see the crossover though, I think Colorado kills Montreal but they might have a chance to close up shop against Vegas. Kind of like how the canucks did in games 5 through 7 last season but Montreals better and can definitely do that better. 

Also hope Islanders beat out the Bruins, cant stand anything fucking Boston. 

I dont bangwagon on any Canadian teams but the Jets are the one team in Canada I wouldnt mind actually go on a run and win a cup. Alot of likeable players, very strong fwd depth and an allstar goalie, why dont you like them out of curiosity?

I also don't badnwagon, but I have always liked the Blackhawks and Montreal (mainly for the French), so this has been fun.

The Jets used to be the Thrashers, and watching them just irritates me to no end.

Will be interesting to see the crossover though, I think Colorado kills Montreal but they might have a chance to close up shop against Vegas. Kind of like how the canucks did in games 5 through 7 last season but Montreals better and can definitely do that better.  

I am pretty sure both Vegas and Avs will destroy the Habs. The main thing going in Montreal's favor is that Price is just on an elite level come playoff time.

Also hope Islanders beat out the Bruins, cant stand anything fucking Boston. 

I also can't stand Boston.

• Subscriber
32 minutes ago, Eco said:

The Jets used to be the Thrashers, and watching them just irritates me to no end.

Ah I gotcha. See as a Canadian I have no thought in my mind of affiliating them with Atlanta, infact I had completely forgotten about Atlanta even having a hockey team xD

4 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Ah I gotcha. See as a Canadian I have no thought in my mind of affiliating them with Atlanta, infact I had completely forgotten about Atlanta even having a hockey team xD

Well then, you are dead to me. :ph34r:

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

So fantastic, but the finals are the Lightning vs the Habs.

The Habs...the 18th best team in the NHL during the regular season.

Would probably tear up if Price can get a Stanley Cup, fully deserved with the career he's had.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
3 minutes ago, Tommy said:

:(

I was just reading about this. I have absolutely no interest in Ice Hockey but reading about how unfortunate this death is is very tragic.

Fireworks 'mishap, rushed out of a hot tub, fell and hit his head on concrete :( 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Stan said:

I was just reading about this. I have absolutely no interest in Ice Hockey but reading about how unfortunate this death is is very tragic.

Fireworks 'mishap, rushed out of a hot tub, fell and hit his head on concrete :( 

Turns out he was actually hit in the chest with the firework, which they are saying is the cause of death. 

I absolutely despise fireworks, and would avoid them at all costs, but the wife and kid love watching them from afar. The fact that he was just chilling in a hot tub and not being an idiot (like what happens each year) is just more heartbreaking. 

• Subscriber

Yeah that is a crazy story, was making the rounds here. I knew the name as he famously stonewalled us in the juniors when Latvia beat us 2-0 a few years back with him making a bajillion saves. He was likely going to backup for the CBJ's next season as well. RIP.

edit time flies, that was only this year and it was the world hockey championships. 

Edited by Viva la FCB
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Viva la FCB - Did you hear Price waived his NMC and Montreal didn't protect him for the upcoming Kraken draft? Unlikely that Seattle take him as it would greatly help the Canadiens and that contract is a beast, but still crazy to thing that Carey Price could be playing for another team next year. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
53 minutes ago, Eco said:

@Viva la FCB - Did you hear Price waived his NMC and Montreal didn't protect him for the upcoming Kraken draft? Unlikely that Seattle take him as it would greatly help the Canadiens and that contract is a beast, but still crazy to thing that Carey Price could be playing for another team next year. 

Yeah theres  a tonne of interesting moves going on here. In regards to Price apparently his wife made some post on social media saying stay calm everything will be revealed in time or something somewhat cryptic like that. Maybe theres something in place with Seattle who knows at this point i guess. Theres still more trades to be made with Seattle 100% so well see how this shakes out in the end but looking right now Seattles gonna have a pretty decent team.

2 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Yeah theres  a tonne of interesting moves going on here. In regards to Price apparently his wife made some post on social media saying stay calm everything will be revealed in time or something somewhat cryptic like that. Maybe theres something in place with Seattle who knows at this point i guess. Theres still more trades to be made with Seattle 100% so well see how this shakes out in the end but looking right now Seattles gonna have a pretty decent team.

Yeah - I mean they can get Subban, Wayne Simmons, and Tarasenko, which is a decent trio if they can stay healthy. 

I'd love for Seattle to take Price off our hands, but damn it would be hard to say goodbye to the greatest goalie the past 10 years. 

• Subscriber
17 minutes ago, Eco said:

Yeah - I mean they can get Subban, Wayne Simmons, and Tarasenko, which is a decent trio if they can stay healthy. 

I'd love for Seattle to take Price off our hands, but damn it would be hard to say goodbye to the greatest goalie the past 10 years. 

Thats just it, if there is no deal in place its kinda like well theres a massive cap relief for a 30+ aging goalie. Hes definitely still one of the top goalies which he proved again this past playoffs, its a tough call. The balls on Bergevin man!

1 minute ago, Viva la FCB said:

Thats just it, if there is no deal in place its kinda like well theres a massive cap relief for a 30+ aging goalie. Hes definitely still one of the top goalies which he proved again this past playoffs, its a tough call. The balls on Bergevin man!

Price has been awful in the regular season for a few years now, but this playoffs he was absolutely unreal. We get swept by the Leafs if it wasn't for Price. 

Bergevin is fucking ripped and doesn't fear shit. It's great if he is making the right calls, which luckily he's done recently. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

What an absolute ride this last week has been holy hell. ]

In canucks news GM JIMBOB has been on a terror. I absolutely love the moves hes made and our forward group is looking real, real good. The D is definitely better but alot of this relies on how and if OEL can have a bounce back season and hopefully get some semblence back of what he used to be. Massively all in on this season either way, These moves are a make or break for JIMBO 100%. I love it. 

In the rest of the NHL news theres been so much to happen. The Kraken lineup is shaping up a little bit more but it still seems kind of a mystery what Francis's plan was here. Clearly he took 0 players with term/dollars/risk leaving a tonne of cap space flexibility. BUT at the same time he made 0 trades to take on dead money or short contracts or flip players while retaining salary meanwhile look at what fucking phoenix did thats exactly what I would have expected the Kraken to be doing given the roster they chose to take. We'll see theres still time I suppose but this team looks far less dangerous then it could have. 

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, Tommy said:

Red Wings lost 6:7 to Toronto in overtime. 

Look at that Bertuzzi goal though. 

He scored four last night. :o 

One of my favorite young talents is the German, Tim Stützle. When he scored his first NHL hat trick during COVID without fans, this happened. 

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=227111122548832

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1