talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

NHL

football forum

33 minutes ago, Eco said:

Agreed. And he's a great player to watch. 

And I've never heard of his hometown. Verisen? 

Viersen! That's actually not too far from here. Like 30km's (18 miles). I had no idea that a player from Viersen plays in the NHL. :o 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Viersen! That's actually not too far from here. Like 30km's (18 miles). I had no idea that a player from Viersen plays in the NHL. :o 

Looks like you have a new favorite player. 

3 minutes ago, Tommy said:

That's Dylan Larkin. :ph34r:

But I will keep an eye on Stützle now indeed! 

Larkin is alright. We was a STUD in college, and I half expected more of him this far into his career, but the talent around him is....well missing. 

5 minutes ago, Tommy said:

That's Dylan Larkin. :ph34r:

But I will keep an eye on Stützle now indeed! 

I think mine top NHL players are - 

1. Ovi
2. Anisimov (although currently a FA)
3. Tarasenko (although I despise the Blues)
4. Jonny Toews
5. Jeff Petry

*Cole Caufield is catching up quickly* 

@Tommy - I didn't know you were a Red Wings fan? 

My family are because of the famous "Russian Five" days, and I love watching the great Fedorov coaching CSKA in the KHL. The story of how Detroit got the Russian Five out of Russia, smuggling them out of the Soviet Union, is crazy enough to be fiction. 

8 minutes ago, Eco said:

@Tommy - I didn't know you were a Red Wings fan? 

My family are because of the famous "Russian Five" days, and I love watching the great Fedorov coaching CSKA in the KHL. The story of how Detroit got the Russian Five out of Russia, smuggling them out of the Soviet Union, is crazy enough to be fiction. 

Well, yeah, I am. Since the 90's. Main reason is they were the best team back then I guess, and me and my friend always played with them in the NHL games on Sega Mega Drive. xD But I kinda stuck with it, and they're still my favourite team. Fedorov was great too, and he dated Anna Kournikova who I had a huge crush on back in the day. xD

• Upvote 2

Just now, Tommy said:

Well, yeah, I am. Since the 90's. Main reason is they were the best team back then I guess, and me and my friend always played with them in the NHL games on Sega Mega Drive. xD But I kinda stuck with it, and they're still my favourite team. Fedorov was great too, and he dated Anna Kournikova who I had a huge crush on back in the day. xD

Everyone did. hahah

Fair play man, there is a book called the Russian Five about that group of guys, it's an awful book in terms of the writing, but the story (which is true) is crazy. 

• Upvote 2

On 15/10/2021 at 14:24, Eco said:

1. Ovi
4. Jonny Toews
5. Jeff Petry

That is an awfully strange list. I don't think anyone else would pick those exact five or even come close.

On 15/10/2021 at 15:24, Eco said:

1. Ovi
4. Jonny Toews
5. Jeff Petry

No doubt, but #2 and #3 are from my Mom's hometown in Russia, and they would certainly be the odd ones on the list. The rest are probably pretty common. 

On 21/07/2021 at 20:04, Eco said:

Kraken did NOT pick Price. 

Damn them. 

On 21/07/2021 at 20:14, Eco said:

How, and they didn't get Tarasenko. 

That is rather surprising. 

I know these are old posts but I wanted to throw my 2 cents in. It's incredibly smart from Seattle to not take those two players. For one Carey Price is 34, has had problems with injuries, and only four years into an 10million 8 year contract, it would be insane for Seattle to commit 1/9th of their cap to one player like that, especially one that has no value on the trade market, if things go awry, an unfortunately *rumours of drinking problems in the past*. Great player but comes with baggage and a huge reputation that could backfire very easily.

For second, Tarasenko also has injury problems and with an expensive contract. He has reportedly told St. Louis he wants to leave, weakening his trade value, making it very possible for Seattle to trade for him in the future unless he has a *no trade clause* in his contract and x-d out Seattle as a destination. Overall it's a headache of a situation and wise to just skip the situation.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Eco said:

No doubt, but #2 and #3 are from my Mom's hometown in Russia, and they would certainly be the odd ones on the list. The rest are probably pretty common. 

I don't think Jeff Petry being on a list for 'most favourite players ever' is very common at all.

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

I know these are old posts but I wanted to throw my 2 cents in. It's incredibly smart from Seattle to not take those two players. For one Carey Price is 34, has had problems with injuries, and only four years into an 10million 8 year contract, it would be insane for Seattle to commit 1/9th of their cap to one player like that, especially one that has no value on the trade market, if things go awry, an unfortunately *rumours of drinking problems in the past*. Great player but comes with baggage and a huge reputation that could backfire very easily.

For second, Tarasenko also has injury problems and with an expensive contract. He has reportedly told St. Louis he wants to leave, weakening his trade value, making it very possible for Seattle to trade for him in the future unless he has a *no trade clause* in his contract and x-d out Seattle as a destination. Overall it's a headache of a situation and wise to just skip the situation.

I completely agree with both points, but I was think they might take a flier on Tarasenko, and I was hoping they would take Price as that contract is a major handicap for the Canadiens. 

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

I don't think Jeff Petry being on a list for 'most favourite players ever' is very common at all.

Maybe, but he's massive for Montreal and I love how stable and consistent he is. He was an add on, but I could have added Keith, Aho, or a lot more of different hockey players that I enjoy. 

Now I have learned that Provorov (Fliers) is also from Yaroslavl, so he replaces Petry on the list. 😄

1 minute ago, Eco said:

I completely agree with both points, but I was think they might take a flier on Tarasenko, and I was hoping they would take Price as that contract is a major handicap for the Canadiens. 

Maybe, but he's massive for Montreal and I love how stable and consistent he is. He was an add on, but I could have added Keith, Aho, or a lot more of different hockey players that I enjoy. 

Now I have learned that Provorov (Fliers) is also from Yaroslavl, so he replaces Petry on the list. 😄

Nah there is only one place for Price and it is Montreal. Unless you are talking about current players only, the Canadiens of all teams are spoilt for choices and they could probably list 100 before Petry (and I really like Petry). Just off my head, the Richard brothers, Guy Carbonneau, Guy Lafleur, Chris Chelios, Guy Lapointe, Patrick Roy, Jacques Plante, Jean Bealiveau, Carey Price, Bob Gainey, Tomas Plekanec, point being they have a ludicrous history of players.

But hey nothing wrong with liking who you like. Speaking of less popular players, I was shocked that the Canadiens let my guy Phil Danault leave to LA.

• Subscriber

I hate lists like this but any list that doesnt start with McDavid is just flat out wrong. Ovi's always been one of my favourite players since he came into the league but I wouldnt have him in a top 5 anymore either let alone Toews. Petry's been a stud but again I couldnt place him that high in top 5 D even probably. My 2 Cents :)

1 minute ago, Viva la FCB said:

I hate lists like this but any list that doesnt start with McDavid is just flat out wrong. Ovi's always been one of my favourite players since he came into the league but I wouldnt have him in a top 5 anymore either let alone Toews. Petry's been a stud but again I couldnt place him that high in top 5 D even probably. My 2 Cents :)

It's a hard thing to do, @Eco makes sense to when you take in the sentimentality of the Russian players, especially those from his mother's hometown. There is one Australian in the NHL and he did win a Stanley Cup with the Capitals but his very much a bottom 3 guy and fringe AHL player. It's cool what he has done but he isn't in my top five. As far as sentimentality goes I do really like Patrick Kane, Duncan Keith, and Brent Seabrook but that is very biased because I'm a Chicago fan. If we go outside of Chicago, I like Brent Burns, Erik Karlsson, Patrice Bergeron, Conor McDavid, Viktor Hedman, and a bunch of others. Those were just some names that popped in to my head, others would be Anze Kopitar, Cale Makar, Nathan MacKinnon, Artemi Panarin, Joe Pavelski, Phil Danault, Shea Weber, Drew Doughty, it'd probably be more fun making a list of players I hate.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Spike said:

It's a hard thing to do, @Eco makes sense to when you take in the sentimentality of the Russian players, especially those from his mother's hometown. There is one Australian in the NHL and he did win a Stanley Cup with the Capitals but his very much a bottom 3 guy and fringe AHL player. It's cool what he has done but he isn't in my top five. As far as sentimentality goes I do really like Patrick Kane, Duncan Keith, and Brent Seabrook but that is very biased because I'm a Chicago fan. If we go outside of Chicago, I like Brent Burns, Erik Karlsson, Patrice Bergeron, Conor McDavid, Viktor Hedman, and a bunch of others. Those were just some names that popped in to my head, others would be Anze Kopitar, Cale Makar, Nathan MacKinnon, Artemi Panarin, Joe Pavelski, Phil Danault, Shea Weber, Drew Doughty, it'd probably be more fun making a list of players I hate.

I might have misunderstood. If you're talking personal top 5 players you like, sure thats completely subjective. If youre talking objectively top 5 players different story. Honestly these days theres so many good young talented players around the league. You can find at least a few players on nearly every team thats exciting to watch (except Phoenix HAHA) but yeah. Hated players would definitely be a more fun one though I definitely agree there. 

Objectively top 5 players in league in no particular order Id probably have something like this:

1) McDavid

2) Draisaitl

3) McKinnon

4) Point

5) Hedman

8 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

I might have misunderstood. If you're talking personal top 5 players you like, sure thats completely subjective. If youre talking objectively top 5 players different story. Honestly these days theres so many good young talented players around the league. You can find at least a few players on nearly every team thats exciting to watch (except Phoenix HAHA) but yeah. Hated players would definitely be a more fun one though I definitely agree there. 

Objectively top 5 players in league in no particular order Id probably have something like this:

1) McDavid

2) Draisaitl

3) McKinnon

4) Point

5) Hedman

Jakub Chrychrun is better than every single defender on Vancouver.

• Subscriber
40 minutes ago, Spike said:

Jakub Chrychrun is better than every single defender on Vancouver.

Chrychrun is good thats fair, always forget about him. Id argue about Hughes being better but I dont think the difference is enough to matter really, more splitting hairs. 

One thing I've  noticed about the NHL and good international teams is the skating quality. Ive watched some of the british ice hockey team and they crouch lower. Where as the better teams dont need to they can stand up and still have full controll 

40 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Chrychrun is good thats fair, always forget about him. Id argue about Hughes being better but I dont think the difference is enough to matter really, more splitting hairs. 

Hughes is a budget Makar that can't defend.