talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

NHL

football forum

23 minutes ago, Eco said:

Roster is what it is, but I don't think it's all that good. 

Kane is elite, no doubt. 

Toews fell off big time with injuries and his strange sickness, and just haven't been near his same form. 

DeBrincat is good, and I do like him, and I actually like Kubalik on the front line as well. 

I expected more from Strome after his Ottawa days, and Tyler Johnson just doesn't have the speed he did 5 years ago and that was one of his biggest traits. 

Seth Jones certainly isn't bad, but it's not worth the $9.5m cap hit he'll have next year. 

MAF, very underrated goalie, but also 36 so he naturally just isn't the same goalie he was 5-10 years ago. 

Toews has only played 6 games, give him a break.
Debrincat is very good, he is a 40+ goals a year player and Kubalik is around 30.
Strome never played for Ottawa and Johnson was brought in to minimise the cap damage of Seabrook.
Seth Jones has also only played six games in Colliton's mystery defence, unfair write off.
Fleury is anything but underrated, he is the reigning Vezina from last season not 5-10 years ago.

You're sleeping on Kirby Dach, Connor Murphy, Kevin Lankinen, and Adam Gaudette. This isn't a bad roster but the results have been bad.  Then they have younger players like Stillman, Mitchell, Hagel, that are looking pretty good. Beaudin should probably be getting a look as well.

7 hours ago, Spike said:

Toews has only played 6 games, give him a break.
Debrincat is very good, he is a 40+ goals a year player and Kubalik is around 30.
Strome never played for Ottawa and Johnson was brought in to minimise the cap damage of Seabrook.
Seth Jones has also only played six games in Colliton's mystery defence, unfair write off.
Fleury is anything but underrated, he is the reigning Vezina from last season not 5-10 years ago.

You're sleeping on Kirby Dach, Connor Murphy, Kevin Lankinen, and Adam Gaudette. This isn't a bad roster but the results have been bad.  Then they have younger players like Stillman, Mitchell, Hagel, that are looking pretty good. Beaudin should probably be getting a look as well.

I love Toews, I do, but if you take away 2018/19, then he averages roughly 55-60pts a year. Not bad, but certainly not elite. He brings a lot more than points, and I understand that, but his point total just hasn't been up to the amount of cap hit that he takes up. 

I said I like Debrincat and Kubalik a lot, both are good players.

Ha, I don't know what I was thinking about with Strome, so just ignore that all together, although I'm vaguely sure I was thinking of Bobby Ryan for some unknown reason. 

Seth Jones isn't based on this year, but his last fewColumbus years, where he was okay. Not great, certainly not bad, but not the Seth Jones we saw in those Nashville and early Columbus days. Hopefully it's a system issues and he gets his form back, as I really like the guy. 

I understand what you are saying about MAF, but I think feel like he's underrated. He has been pushed out of his job despite being an elite goalie for a long time. Just seems like no matter how good he is, people continue to focus on the negative aspects of his game, always has boggled my mind about that. 

As for the last paragraph of players, maybe so, but I think some of them haven't played enough to really understand their impact. 

Maybe I was harsh in my assessment in having a really poor roster, but it's not great or even playoff level, unless we see some players have some exceptional years. 

@Spike and @Viva la FCB

Off topic from the Blackhawks woes, but how much longer do you think the NHL will stick with the Coyotes experiment. Seems like a project that won't be successful long term and I wonder just how much longer Betman is going to work his ass off on keeping the Coyotes in Phoenix. 

1 hour ago, Eco said:

@Spike and @Viva la FCB

Off topic from the Blackhawks woes, but how much longer do you think the NHL will stick with the Coyotes experiment. Seems like a project that won't be successful long term and I wonder just how much longer Betman is going to work his ass off on keeping the Coyotes in Phoenix. 

As long as they have an arena. The moment they pull out of Arizona they’ll never get back in,

they aren’t even in phoenix haha. Tempe 

10 hours ago, Spike said:

As long as they have an arena. The moment they pull out of Arizona they’ll never get back in,

they aren’t even in phoenix haha. Tempe 

They are technically in Glendale, no? They used to be called Phoenix Coyotes so I stick with that. 

3 hours ago, Eco said:

They are technically in Glendale, no? They used to be called Phoenix Coyotes so I stick with that. 

I thought tempe, but you are right it is glendale. come on it’s nearly been ten years since the name change xD

• Subscriber

Chevy's meeting was bumped up to today seems pretty straightforward he will be done as well. 

From what I've heard the arena location is the biggest problem.. Glendale is in suburb in the middle of nowhere. They tried to build up around the arena but its still a weird location. A much more central arena maybe helps but idk if thats enough alone. The franchise has also been run so poorly for so long they just havent been competitive in a long time and now their rebuilding the 8 year rebuild again once more all the while icing the worst roster Ive probably seen in years. They should move but Buttman has seemed super willing to die on that hill so Im not sure they ever will. 

2 hours ago, Spike said:

I thought tempe, but you are right it is glendale. come on it’s nearly been ten years since the name change xD

Yeah - but I just remember it so when talking about the city, it just pops into my head they were once the PHX Yotes. 

2 hours ago, Viva la FCB said:

They should move but Buttman has seemed super willing to die on that hill so Im not sure they ever will. 

I agree it's odd how hard they are trying to NOT move them, but with the success of Vegas and Kraken in terms of attendance and excitement, I wonder if this might slowly change his mind that they need to move the organization to a city that actually likes hockey. 

1 hour ago, Viva la FCB said:

Chevy just got cleared. Heres the link to the statement:

This shocks me...really does. 

Wasn't it him and Coach Q who came out weeks ago and state that they knew nothing about this? If so, he should be banned from the NHL. 

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Eco said:

I agree it's odd how hard they are trying to NOT move them, but with the success of Vegas and Kraken in terms of attendance and excitement, I wonder if this might slowly change his mind that they need to move the organization to a city that actually likes hockey. 

Yeah we can only hope. As far as Canada goes Quebec would be the ideal choice imo. Theres been some talk Toronto could support a second team, Im sure it could but I want those Nordiques back first. 

Just now, Eco said:

This shocks me...really does. 

Wasn't it him and Coach Q who came out weeks ago and state that they knew nothing about this? If so, he should be banned from the NHL. 

I agree. Q was full of shit and definitely denied it and even doubled down on his denial in the press conference in Florida the other day. I think Chevy's statement was much more lawyeresque and didnt really say much if I remember but Id have to dig it up. I think the whole things a crock of shit. If he was at that meeting and it definitely sounds like he was you cannot absolve him. The statement from the NHL basically says he wasnt in a position of power and wasnt in a senior management position and wasnt in a decision making position. They said he thought it was going to be investigated. Bull fucking shit. The guy was there and even if that was the first time he found out about; he did nothing about it. He doesnt have to be in any god damn position to go to the police and report the incident or reach out to help Beach. 

32 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Yeah we can only hope. As far as Canada goes Quebec would be the ideal choice imo. Theres been some talk Toronto could support a second team, Im sure it could but I want those Nordiques back first. 

I also miss the Nordiques, even though they were Quebec Rival. 

I'd say no to another Toronto team. The one they have sucks, they don't need another shit team in the city. I wouldn't mind a team in Hamilton or London, but certainly another Canadian team is needed. 

32 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

I agree. Q was full of shit and definitely denied it and even doubled down on his denial in the press conference in Florida the other day. I think Chevy's statement was much more lawyeresque and didnt really say much if I remember but Id have to dig it up. I think the whole things a crock of shit. If he was at that meeting and it definitely sounds like he was you cannot absolve him. The statement from the NHL basically says he wasnt in a position of power and wasnt in a senior management position and wasnt in a decision making position. They said he thought it was going to be investigated. Bull fucking shit. The guy was there and even if that was the first time he found out about; he did nothing about it. He doesnt have to be in any god damn position to go to the police and report the incident or reach out to help Beach. 

I agree. Don't doing anything is a weak man's move, and he was full of shit and a prick for nothing doing more after the meeting. 

Just another reason to hate the Jets.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Eco said:

I also miss the Nordiques, even though they were Quebec Rival. 

I'd say no to another Toronto team. The one they have sucks, they don't need another shit team in the city. I wouldn't mind a team in Hamilton or London, but certainly another Canadian team is needed. 

I agree. Don't doing anything is a weak man's move, and he was full of shit and a prick for nothing doing more after the meeting. 

Just another reason to hate the Jets.

7 hours ago, Viva la FCB said:

I dunno, how much power over it do you think he had? He might have been in the circle but we can never know the details. He may have been told the matter was ‘resolved’. It is fishy as fuck but given how they scalped Q it makes me believe that Cheveldayoff had less to do with it, it is only good PR for Bettman to cut down Cheveldayoff as well. 

Quebec City won’t get a team, small city and they are all already hockey fans, doesn’t matter what team they like, they already love hockey. They want markets with no hockey presence so they can convert fans. Though, I’d pick the Nordiques all well the same

Look I’m thinking that Cheveldayoff knew there was an incident but not criminal activity, we can say all we like about calling the cops but if all he was told was that there was an incident and that it is ‘resolved’ he probably thought nothing of it. the full details of what happened may still have been in the dark. Not that I’m defending anything that has happened I’m just trying to rationalise the results. 

• Subscriber
On 29/10/2021 at 18:36, Spike said:

Look I’m thinking that Cheveldayoff knew there was an incident but not criminal activity, we can say all we like about calling the cops but if all he was told was that there was an incident and that it is ‘resolved’ he probably thought nothing of it. the full details of what happened may still have been in the dark. Not that I’m defending anything that has happened I’m just trying to rationalise the results. 

And for all we know that certainly could be the case but in 10 years when nothing happens, Beach is off playing in 3rd tier Germany...It would have taken the minimal effort required to find out if anything happend, he knows all the people that knew and "made" decisions and he could have reached out to Beach himself even. You're right though the easy decision would have been to cut bait with Chevy as well so there must be something there. Im more interested in these talks with the PA now and Donald Fehr. Theres more heads to role Im thinking.

52 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

And for all we know that certainly could be the case but in 10 years when nothing happens, Beach is off playing in 3rd tier Germany...It would have taken the minimal effort required to find out if anything happend, he knows all the people that knew and "made" decisions and he could have reached out to Beach himself even. You're right though the easy decision would have been to cut bait with Chevy as well so there must be something there. Im more interested in these talks with the PA now and Donald Fehr. Theres more heads to role Im thinking.

Did Beach report the incident to the NHLPA in 2010?

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Spike said:

Did Beach report the incident to the NHLPA in 2010?

Yeah that was one of the things to come out in his interview with Rick Westhead there on monday (i think it was monday) He said he talked to a PA rep on two occasions and they said they would or are reporting to Donald Fehr. Fehr did release a statement that didnt really say much but did apologize. Beach had a phone call interview with both the PA and Buttman over the weekend, I believe yesterday the players reps for all 32 teams had a phone call to discuss Fehr's future as well. 

• Subscriber

Eichels off to Vegas. Thats a massive get for them as the number 1 thing they needed was a legit #1 center when he gets healthy. They really didnt give up alot all things considered. Tuch, Krebbs, a 1st and 2nd round pick is whats been reported. Krebbs is a real nice looking prospect and I like Tuch but you have to like this trade for Vegas overall. 

1 hour ago, Viva la FCB said:

Eichels off to Vegas. Thats a massive get for them as the number 1 thing they needed was a legit #1 center when he gets healthy. They really didnt give up alot all things considered. Tuch, Krebbs, a 1st and 2nd round pick is whats been reported. Krebbs is a real nice looking prospect and I like Tuch but you have to like this trade for Vegas overall. 

Eichel will be a great player for them next season.

• Subscriber
15 minutes ago, Spike said:

Eichel will be a great player for them next season.

So the timeline im hearing is 3-4 months till hes back on the ice. Would give him a couple months of play to get up to speed before playoffs. This Vegas team is going to be scary.