• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Euro 2020 Qualifiers - Group I - Matchdays 5 & 6

football forum

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Eco said:

Snodgrass has probably been Scotland's best player, but I say that only because how active he's been. Really shocking how poor this side is. 

I'd say he was the worst.

Just now, Rab said:

I'd say he was the worst.

Idk - no one stood out to me, I think thought he made the most out of a bad situation. I also definitely remember him while at Leeds, so he's name probably leaps out more than others. 

I didn't realize how bad Scotland had gotten....

32 minutes ago, Eco said:

Idk - no one stood out to me, I think thought he made the most out of a bad situation. I also definitely remember him while at Leeds, so he's name probably leaps out more than others. 

I didn't realize how bad Scotland had gotten....

They've never been good.

11 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Must be time for another Scotland manager change. Give it Berti Vogts again. 

Scotland were better under mcleish. I said when he was appointed there was nothing on his CV to suggest he was a good choice and I was right. Doing well in Scotland doesn't mean much at international level. I think Scotland should have gone for Moyes or a foreign manager. There is no other Scotland manager who would have even been considered to manage man utd. Ha hasn't been great since but he is still the best Scottish manager. And he didn't actually do that bad at West ham and was unfortunate to get sacked.

The next manager absolutely should not be Scottish. Under any circumstances. I don't care if Alex Neil gets Preston promoted and then wins the Prem with them. I don't care. We need someone with a complete outsider's perspective. 

Clarke did a brilliant job with Kilmarnock under very specific circumstances, and now he's trying to recreate it with a completely different squad. We do not have a reliable, physical striker to fire the ball towards. We don't have centre backs who can be relied on in a deep defence. 

Our two best players are a marauding full-back, who is never given a chance to overlap, and a diminuitive midfield playmaker who has to spend the whole game running in circles chasing the ball.

Our squad naturally suits a more aggressive and positive approach, but Scottish managers are too feart about getting battered.

We get battered by the likes of Russia and Kazakhstan anyway, so what the hell is there to lose? 

On 11/10/2019 at 11:38, Inverted said:

The next manager absolutely should not be Scottish. Under any circumstances. I don't care if Alex Neil gets Preston promoted and then wins the Prem with them. I don't care. We need someone with a complete outsider's perspective. 

Clarke did a brilliant job with Kilmarnock under very specific circumstances, and now he's trying to recreate it with a completely different squad. We do not have a reliable, physical striker to fire the ball towards. We don't have centre backs who can be relied on in a deep defence. 

Our two best players are a marauding full-back, who is never given a chance to overlap, and a diminuitive midfield playmaker who has to spend the whole game running in circles chasing the ball.

Our squad naturally suits a more aggressive and positive approach, but Scottish managers are too feart about getting battered.

We get battered by the likes of Russia and Kazakhstan anyway, so what the hell is there to lose? 

I agree mate. Scotland need to get to a major tournament. Show the youth that it can be done. That way you will have better players in the future. I would imagine most don't see the point at the moment.    It's likely that they will have to get past Norway in the nation's league play of. Can't see them doing it with Clarke. The best thing that could happen to you would be finishing below Cyprus and Clarke being sacked. I normally give managers more time but I said before there was nothing on his CV to suggest he was a good choice and I feel I have been proved right. At least Mcleigh got you in the nation's league play of. Don't think Clarke would have. 

@Inverted I also think it is a bit delusional of Scotland fans to think that Moyest wouldn't have been a good choice if they insist on a Scottish manager. Say what you want about his recent record it is still better than every other Scottish manager that I can think of.  Getting back to back promotions  with Livingston or doing well with Kilmarnock means nothing at international level. 

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

@Inverted I also think it is a bit delusional of Scotland fans to think that Moyest wouldn't have been a good choice if they insist on a Scottish manager. Say what you want about his recent record it is still better than every other Scottish manager that I can think of.  Getting back to back promotions  with Livingston or doing well with Kilmarnock means nothing at international level. 

Failing at Man United, Real Soceidad, Sunderland and West Ham isn't a great record. I'd rather have someone who has actually been successful in the last half decade...

4 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Failing at Man United, Real Soceidad, Sunderland and West Ham isn't a great record. I'd rather have someone who has actually been successful in the last half decade...

His record is still better than any other Scottish managers. And he didn't really fail at West ham he was unlucky to get sacked. Sunderland were gonna go down eventually anyway. He didn't do well at soceidad but nor would any other Scottish coach. He has still had jobs in top leagues. He would probably do well if he was managing in Scotland.

22 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

His record is still better than any other Scottish managers. And he didn't really fail at West ham he was unlucky to get sacked. Sunderland were gonna go down eventually anyway. He didn't do well at soceidad but nor would any other Scottish coach. He has still had jobs in top leagues. He would probably do well if he was managing in Scotland.

No one has finished lower than he did with West Ham since they returned to the EPL. 

Modern football has bypassed David Moyes.

6 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

No one has finished lower than he did with West Ham since they returned to the EPL. 

Modern football has bypassed David Moyes.

They were in the religation zone when he took over. Not saying he's a great manager but he is the best Scotland have I think. Managing in a shit league and doing well isn't like competing in a top League. Danny Cowley was doing well with Lincoln doesn't mean he should be England manager.

43 minutes ago, Inverted said:

David Moyes being the best we have is exactly why the next manager shouldn't be Scottish. 

The things that made Scottish managers successful have been superseded in modern football. 

I agree mate. I wasn't actually saying he was a good manager. ( Although I think he is better than some make out) my point is that he is the best you have. I dont think saying Clarke is better because he did well in a league 1 quality league is right. You guys need a foreign manager. And I dont mean it in a disrespectful way. I want Scotland to qualify. I like British teams to do well.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived