talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Euro 2020 Qualifiers - Group B - Matchdays 6 & 7

football forum

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ukraine will want to add more goals in the second half. They should be winning this game by at least 3-0. They had plenty of chances in the first half, apart from Malinovsky's great goal, they hit the post through Stepanenko, they hit the crossbar through Yarmolenko and they had other efforts which went close. I'd like to see Konoplyanka and Tsigankov come on at some point in the second half, they are both very creative wingers and they were both the key players in Ukraine's 5-0 thrashing of Serbia earlier in the qualifiers. They both deserve some minutes tonight. Also it would be nice to see the talented young forward Yaremchuk get a few minutes against Lithuania in place of Moraes.

All in all, Ukraine should be scoring more goals in the second half and increase their goal difference in this group, even if it's just to make a statement.  Ukraine could be the very first team to qualify for the Euros!

Konoplyanka and Tsigankov have both come on now for Ukraine, just as I expected. Hopefully they will create more goals for Ukraine. A commanding win here tonight, should give Ukraine good confidence going into the Portugal match in Kiev in a few days time.

Ukraine seemed to take their foot off the gas after they scored their 2nd goal, probably trying not to get any players injured or suspended for the upcoming game against Portugal. It was a comfortable win though and the usual key players impressed, apart from Zinchenko, who had a surprising off day in my opinion. He really should of scored with the chances presented to him.

But Sobol had a very good game tonight, he usually doesn't get mentioned too much compared to the more famous players, but he played very well tonight on the left hand side of the pitch. He was very effective with his runs and crosses from the left wing. 

Ukraine will now go into the game with Portugal with a lot of confidence. A point against the Portuguese, will guarantee them qualification. But they should really be looking for the win in Kiev and make a real statement of their footballing credentials.

Very impressed with Ukraine. Dark horse for the Euros?

They are always either really good or very average. I remember loving the 2014 qualifiers team that beat France in the first leg of the playoffs. 

1 minute ago, Grizzly21 said:

Very impressed with Ukraine. Dark horse for the Euros?

They are always either really good or very average. I remember loving the 2014 qualifiers team that beat France in the first leg of the playoffs. 

They look very good, they have been awesome in these qualifiers, destroying Serbia 5-0, a team with several big names and now they are playing Ronaldo's Portugal off the field. They were 2-0 up after only 27 minutes. This is probably the best Ukrainian team since their 2006 side. It looks a very well balanced side and they have some depth off the bench as well.

Konoplyanka comes on for Marlos. I always wondered why Ukraine gave Marlos citizenship and called up to the national team. Ukraine have many skilled wingers such as Yarmolenko, Konoplyanka, Tsyhankov and Shved. Marlos is a skilled player, but he's not that fast and he doesn't seem to battle as hard as the other Ukrainian players for the national team.

Stepanenko wrongly sent off by the English referee Anthony Taylor and Portugal awarded a penalty, which Cristiano Ronaldo scores to make it 2-1. It will now be a frantic last 15 minutes of the game for Ukraine, having to play the rest of the game a man down against this skilled Portuguese team. Lets hope they hang on to their 2-1 lead and get the win.

3 minutes ago, Michael said:

Stepanenko wrongly sent off by the English referee Anthony Taylor and Portugal awarded a penalty, which Cristiano Ronaldo scores to make it 2-1. It will now be a frantic last 15 minutes of the game for Ukraine, having to play the rest of the game a man down against this skilled Portuguese team. Lets hope they hang on to the current result and get the win.

Sorry about our dickhead refs mate.

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Oh haha, I thought you were Ukrainian cos of the flag xD

The flags there because that's where I live mate, but I am actually flying back to blighty this Saturday and I will be there for a month. 

6 minutes ago, Stan said:

Didn't realise Ukraine were doing so well in the group. Fair play to them. 

Yes, they have actually done very well under the circumstances. Glad they held on to the 2-1 win tonight, they were the better team before they went a man down. Without being bias, I think they thoroughly deserved the win. Portugal and Serbia will now be battling for 2nd place in the group as Ukraine have sealed 1st place.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived