talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Euro 2020 Qualifiers - Group A - Matchday 6

football forum

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bulgaria supporters were found guilty of racist behaviour against Kosovo and the Czech Republic in their Euro 2020 qualifiers.

Uefa ordered that 5,000 of the 46,340 seats at the Vasil Levski stadium in Sofia be blocked off for the game with England and 3,000 against the Czech Republic next month.

Mihaylov wrote: "The Bulgarian public has in no way committed any recent infringements that deserve it to be stereotyped as 'racist' or 'hostile'.

"I am sure you will agree that these accusations are not only unjust but are continuous attempts to disrupt the atmosphere before a very much anticipated game of football.

"We are aware of the recent problems with racist behaviour in all tiers of English club football and with England's ongoing battle with hooliganism. 

"Although we sincerely applaud the FA's initiative for the English fans to report trouble within the visiting crowd, we are extremely shocked at all efforts to involve and even mark out the Bulgarian spectators as potential troublemakers."

Megalolz

3 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

To be fair, they have a point. All this handwringing from the FA when England fans routinely smash up town centres of European cities, yet they're the ones with the problem? Are we in a better position on racism? Yes. It's starting to slide though.

We haven’t had stadiums closed for the National team though have we? Club football is always full of knobheads and the ‘10 German Bomber Brigade’ aren’t exactly active every game at Wembley are they? Five knobheads in a town square at an away game isn’t exactly the same as a mass section of a home ground giving racist abuse. Are we innocent? Absolutely not, but the ‘megalolz’ comment was more aimed at a bloke who claims they haven’t committed any racial abuse or infringements recently, yet they have to play in a almost closed stadium due to......recent racial abuse in euro qualifiers.

31 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

We haven’t had stadiums closed for the National team though have we? Club football is always full of knobheads and the ‘10 German Bomber Brigade’ aren’t exactly active every game at Wembley are they? Five knobheads in a town square at an away game isn’t exactly the same as a mass section of a home ground giving racist abuse. Are we innocent? Absolutely not, but the ‘megalolz’ comment was more aimed at a bloke who claims they haven’t committed any racial abuse or infringements recently, yet they have to play in a almost closed stadium due to......recent racial abuse in euro qualifiers.

Yeah... it's insane for him to claim "we have no recent racial infringements" when they pretty clearly do. A journalist should have asked him, "so why's most of the stadium closed off from fans then?"

10 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

England have forced their racist contingent out of the stadium, that is the main difference. Since the appalling lansdowne riot England have made a conscious effort to keep the BNP/Combat 18 element out but they're still there. If anyhing they're growing again going by recent behaviour abroad. 

29 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

England have forced their racist contingent out of the stadium, that is the main difference. Since the appalling lansdowne riot England have made a conscious effort to keep the BNP/Combat 18 element out but they're still there. If anyhing they're growing again going by recent behaviour abroad. 

Forced out of England games? Probably. 
There’s less “ten German bombers” and booing of different nations’ national anthems these days but there’s still a massive problem with racism in English Football both at stadiums and on social media. 

5 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

There’s less “ten German bombers” and booing of different nations’ national anthems these days but there’s still a massive problem with racism in English Football both at stadiums and on social media. 

It’s particularly bad on social media. People feel so emboldened when they’re anonymous. But yeah, I wouldn’t say it’s left the stadium either. 

8 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Yes, and as bad as some of the abuse has been from individuals towards individual players has been, I don't think England suffers with the organised racist chanting you get in many other countries. England's major problem lies away from the stadium, although I wouldn't bet against it returning to the stadium the way the atmosphere in this country is turning.

• Subscriber

I keep saying it but social media's a tricky one because you can say these things with the worst that can happen to you is you're dobbed in (which is easy to avoid when you're anonymous and not doing it on Wifi) and the best that can happen, you get your tweets in the news, which is exactly what these people are aiming for. I'm not saying I personally see that as some kind of achievement but it's typical of this society of attention seekers. You're giving them what they want without repercussion. It isn't going to stop the problem, basically.

Likewise while I don't think walking off is a problem, they shouldn't publicly announce that pre-match I don't think. That's hardly going to deter their fans is it?

24 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Has anyone here been to an England game, or even worse, an England away? I've always had it down as a large grouping of the worst people in the world but I'm possibly generalising....nah.

You always hate your country so that could be part of it. 

• Subscriber

Our defence is awful. Cannot see the harm in giving Tomori a start on Monday.

This has been bad. I feel like that front three will bail us out of overall poor displays, which doesn't reflect well on the manager.

We'll get picked apart the minute we hit anyone decent.

4 minutes ago, shut up said:

Rob holding and callum chambers are both better than michael Keane.  Hope emery gives them chances to prove it

Jesus, if those two are capable of playing for England then England are in a mess. What happened to the years of Ferdinand, Terry and Campbell? Now it's Callum Chambers and Michael Keane.

16 minutes ago, Dan said:

Our defence is awful. Cannot see the harm in giving Tomori a start on Monday.

This has been bad. I feel like that front three will bail us out of overall poor displays, which doesn't reflect well on the manager.

We'll get picked apart the minute we hit anyone decent.

England's front 3 is their strength, Sterling, Kane and Sancho are all world class in my book. England's midfield and defence though have been second best so far overall tonight.

• The title was changed to Euro 2020 Qualifiers - Group A - Matchday 6
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived