• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Euro 2020 Qualifiers - Group A - Matchday 6

football forum

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/10/2019 at 19:18, Dan said:

Were England that good at the World Cup? Don't get me wrong it was a significant improvement on the toss served up under Hodgson and Capello but I thought we were OK - pretty well organised and didn't slip up against anyone we were favourites against, but ultimately came up short when met with a significant challenge. I think the draw was hugely favourable. We were good, but I wouldn't go loads above that.

In some ways losing tonight might be the wake up call we need.

In fairness as well to Southgate, it wasn't until the build up to the World Cup that I started picking up any optimism in him or the team, so it's not too late to change it. Right now though I think we're sleepwalking to a poor tournament.

Have to disagree here mate. I'd hardly rank their run as a fluke like some others have done and they've proved it by qualifying out of their nations league group afterwards. I'm not saying that you said that mind, but I'd say they were a bit better than just "OK". To be honest, the only 3 teams I'd say were better in that tournament were France, Belgium and Uruguay. Brazil would have been a coin toss with how uninspiring they were and Croatia despite beating you I thought were average. That 4th place was genuinely an accurate description.

As a neutral, I like Southgate. Not a tactical genius and sometimes uninspiring but he built a good group. He's a team builder and with players of decent quality (which England have), he can make them work. 

English managers are often negatively recognized for playing brexitball, but I've noticed with some of the younger ones they play a more modern brand of football. Southgate obviously an example but I also really liked what Simpson had to show at that U20 World Cup about 2 years ago. I don't know what is of him now but some of the players on there really weren't world cup winning quality, yet they surprised everyone and played some really good stuff.

9 hours ago, Grizzly21 said:

As a neutral, I like Southgate. Not a tactical genius and sometimes uninspiring but he built a good group. He's a team builder and with players of decent quality (which England have), he can make them work. 

English managers are often negatively recognized for playing brexitball, but I've noticed with some of the younger ones they play a more modern brand of football. Southgate obviously an example but I also really liked what Simpson had to show at that U20 World Cup about 2 years ago. I don't know what is of him now but some of the players on there really weren't world cup winning quality, yet they surprised everyone and played some really good stuff.

Lol what is brexitball

Fucking hell, lose one game and we’re “sleep walking our way into the Finals”, our XI is awful and Southgate actually isn’t all that. Sums up modern football and the modern football fan and how reactionary and knee-jerk. 

No mention of the early goal or anything on here. Adds to my opinion. 

Started well here, look comfortable but still need to be wary. 

8 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Fucking hell, lose one game and we’re “sleep walking our way into the Finals”, our XI is awful and Southgate actually isn’t all that. Sums up modern football and the modern football fan and how reactionary and knee-jerk. 

Beating dross isn't really as noteworthy as losing to dross. I do agree, the Czech game will just happen now and again. 

1 minute ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Beating dross isn't really as noteworthy as losing to dross. I do agree, the Czech game will just happen now and again. 

Can only play what’s in front of you. 

Can’t hear what’s going on with the girlfriend and her mate chatting but I get the impression the Bulgarians aren’t being backwards twats and racially abusing us. 

19 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Not gonna lie, I originally did think England's World Cup run was a fluke, but after beating Spain to the top spot in the nations league my view was changed completely.

• Subscriber

This is just beyond farcical. The handling of it's been awful. Shouldn't have advertised the fact they'd walk off before the game. Consult with UEFA but don't feed their fans. It's hardly going to deter them is it?

That said, I think the players have handled this excellently.

• Administrator

Just read about the protocol. Like racist ultra fans give a fuck about a warning and a stadium announcements. 

Racists gonna be racists no matter what's put in their way. 

Smashing these cunts about 8 or 9 nil will be more embarrassing for them than letting them win by abandoning the game.

I was surprised Mings got in ahead of Gomez but otherwise I think Southgate’s picked a good team and they’ve done what they need to and tbh unlike other games we’ve not just gone 4-0 up because we have better players but because we’ve actually been playing well

Its a shame about the racism it really is, UEFA need to take control and abandon the game, give us the 3 points and actually punish Bulgaria and the fans doing it. And then do the same for every game.

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Stan said:

Just read about the protocol. Like racist ultra fans give a fuck about a warning and a stadium announcements. 

Racists gonna be racists no matter what's put in their way. 

You still have to give them due warning and opportunity to stop it. If nothing else it eliminates all doubt over whether they need sorting out and incriminates them further for ignoring the warnings.

2 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

You still have to give them due warning and opportunity to stop it. If nothing else it eliminates all doubt over whether they need sorting out and incriminates them further for ignoring the warnings.

I don’t think you do, once should be enough and it should be down to the ref/UEFA officials to abandon the game not the players.

• The title was changed to Euro 2020 Qualifiers - Group A - Matchday 6
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived