The better place to talk football.

Bastian Schweinsteiger retires from football

football forum

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Legend of the game for me in the 00s.

Very resourceful and reliable as a central midfielder and one of my favourite to have on Pro Evo in that mid 00s period xD

Also has one of the best German names in the game.

• Subscriber

One of the few Bayern players in the last decade that I truly liked. Will always remember his top class performance in that 2014 World Cup final.

Wonder what he ends up doing next. 

• Subscriber

Loved watching him play for Bayern and Germany and he was a joy to play with on FIFA etc but lost a lot of respect for him when he was at United. He always looked half the player he was at Bayern but that could be down to United rather than the guy himself. 

I love that his name translates as pig-overseer/pig-climber apparently too. One of those pub quiz facts my brother gifted me.

2 minutes ago, Pyfish said:

Loved watching him play for Bayern and Germany and he was a joy to play with on FIFA etc but lost a lot of respect for him when he was at United. He always looked half the player he was at Bayern but that could be down to United rather than the guy himself. 

I love that his name translates as pig-overseer/pig-climber apparently too. One of those pub quiz facts my brother gifted me.

Everyone becomes half the player they were before they join United.

28 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Where do Germans rate him among their best ever midfielders? 

As a really good player like Ballack or Overath, but not in the same leagues as such all time legends like Matthäus, Netzer or Walter.

Will miss him and won't forget how he worked for the team in 2014.

'Midfielder'. What a bunch of noobs we have on this forum, they've obviously never watched him as a winger at the beggining of his career and as a sweeper at the end of his career.  In the flesh I saw him dominate the field as the rebirth of Franz Beckenbauer for Chicago.

1 hour ago, Viva la FCB said:

One of my favourites, absolute legend. He basically hung em up when he joined Chicago but yeah, class guy all around.

Not true at all, he was did more work in Chicago in one match than the previous decade of his career. He had never had to carry a team that was so heavy. Rarely has a player simultaneously been a team's best midfielder and defender.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Spike said:

Not true at all, he was did more work in Chicago in one match than the previous decade of his career. He had never had to carry a team that was so heavy. Rarely has a player simultaneously been a team's best midfielder and defender.

Definitely true, MLS is a last stroll in the park, Im sure he didnt mind his steaming hot pile of a team with that fat pay cheque he was earning. 

• Subscriber
22 minutes ago, Spike said:

'Midfielder'. What a bunch of noobs we have on this forum, they've obviously never watched him as a winger at the beggining of his career and as a sweeper at the end of his career.  In the flesh I saw him dominate the field as the rebirth of Franz Beckenbauer for Chicago.

Odd you say that because I distinctly remember him wearing that god awful grey color jersey in the late 90s as a winger and he did go to midfield much later as you said. I also remember him having a terrible disciplinary record at the time too. 

P.S. I do think hes one of the greats of his generation. That team was in general and he played a crucial role in them achieving things (both Bayern and Germany)

• Subscriber

A bit weird to be calling people "noobs" for talking about Schweinsteiger as a midfielder considering that's the position which allowed him to flourish and which transformed him into one of the bests of his generation. 

One of the VERY few Bayern players that I always liked. He also didn't like himself be "Bayernized" and didn't take on their arrogance. He was always straight forward and honest. Wasn't afraid to disagree with his higher ups. Besides that, he was a brilliant player. I was really happy when he left Bayern for Man Utd. but it also made me a bit sad that things never really worked out for him there. His performances for Germany, especially in the 2014 World Cup final will never be forgotten, and serves as an example for future generations. Would be cool to see him at a respectable job in the near future, not like Oli Kahn or Michael Ballack for example. 

4 hours ago, nudge said:

BQla1fa.png

:ph34r: 

Funnily enough a friend of mine foreshadowed this last Wednesday. "I'm sure he'll become a pundit on TV", and I was like naaaah. But yeah... xD

Archived