talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Sunderland Hire Phil Parkinson To Replace Jack Ross

football forum

• Subscriber

Jack Ross has had his contract at Sunderland terminated.

https://www.safc.com/news/club-news/2019/october/jack-ross-leaves-safc

Who will be the next Sunderland manager? I liked Ross and thought he did well to take over from the previous managers and actually manage to put up a fight in what is actually a harder league to get out of than people think. 

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

About time by the sounds of it. He'd been doing shite for a while by all accounts. Sounded like they'd just run out of ideas and the play-off defeat certainly wouldn't have helped. 

His record of defeats isn’t that bad at all. It’s the amount of draws and style of football that’s the problem. 

Replacing Josh Maja with Will Grigg seemed a masterstroke but it’s not worked for Grigg and the football at Sun’lun has been abysmal by all accounts, the defending is comical at times from what I see on highlights. 

Doesn’t appear to be a leading candidate as yet. Stendel and Roy Keane the two favourites on SkyBet, I think that’s just lazy work from them. 

• Subscriber

Not sure Phillips would be a good move right now. They need someone with the experience to get them out of League One but saying that he would have the fan backing. 

As for Stendel, I don't really know much about him so can't comment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.1a958dc4c2201499c416a49b750ae03d.png

Phil Parkinson: Sunderland name ex-Bolton Wanderers boss as manager

Sunderland has confirmed former Bolton and Bradford boss Phil Parkinson as their new manager on a deal until 2022.

The 51-year-old replaces Jack Ross, who was sacked by the Black Cats on 8 October after winning five of their first 11 League One games this term.

Parkinson spent three years in charge of Bolton, winning promotion to the Championship in his first season.

He resigned as manager in August, with Wanderer's bottom of the third tier after being deducted 12 points.

"It is both a privilege and immense responsibility to be appointed a manager of this great club," Parkinson said.

"This is a good squad of players, and I relish the challenge of working with them to achieve our goal of promotion from League One."

Before his initial success with Bolton, Parkinson took Colchester up to the Championship and guided fourth-tier Bradford to the League Cup final in 2013 before getting them promoted.

He is joined at the Stadium of Light by assistant Steve Parkin, with his first game in charge on Saturday against Wycombe - whose manager Gareth Ainsworth, it was reported, was also approached by Sunderland over the job.

"During a rigorous recruitment process, it gradually became clear that he was the prime candidate to take the club forward," said Sunderland chairman Stewart Donald,  in discussions over a takeover  - or fresh investment - into the club.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50081814

• The title was changed to Sunderland Hire Phil Parkinson To Replace Jack Ross
  • Subscriber

I'm happy with that appointment and hopefully he can replicate some of his success with other sides with his work at Sunderland. Like he said, there's a good squad of players there but they've just got to learn how to turn draws into wins etc.

• 1 month later...

6th when Jack Ross was sacked, now dropped to 12th. Seems the problems are a whole lot more than Ross.

The third tier had been decent, because winning and going to new places are fun, but from that moment on they were no longer on loan from the Championship, a big club on tour. They were rooted in League One and the fun had stopped.

8 minutes ago, HawayTheLads said:

It is not a good time to be a Sunderland fan at all. Not really sure where we go from here if I'm honest. I can see us unfortunately slipping even further down the league. We are more likely to be in League Two than the Championship.

As bad as you've been, I liken you to Portsmouth.

Both should be doing better, both should be competing for automatic. I question whether both clubs have a manager holding them back with his style of Football.

Only thing I would say is that couple wins and you are in the playoffs. I know that automatic should be the aim but considering how average you are, to be within touching distance of playoffs is a small consolation.

19 hours ago, Lucas said:

As bad as you've been, I liken you to Portsmouth.

Both should be doing better, both should be competing for automatic. I question whether both clubs have a manager holding them back with his style of Football.

Only thing I would say is that couple wins and you are in the playoffs. I know that automatic should be the aim but considering how average you are, to be within touching distance of playoffs is a small consolation.

Absolutely. It could be a lot worse for us but I guess a little optimism goes a long way. Parkinson isn't a bad manager and we should give him a little time to work his magic. Rome wasn't built in a day!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ScoRoss said:

I guess you'll approve of this then:

That’s horrendously written, that. It could and should be so much better. It reads as one bloke’s boozed up rant released at 8.30 on a Friday night with an massive sense of entitlement and a massive chip on their shoulder. 

Using Bolton as some sort of ego trip is massively wrong. Bolton should be used in that statement as an example of a club that has suffered, and still is suffering, from mismanagement of epic proportions rather than being used as some sort of example of entitlement and Bury could have been used as an example of a worst case scenario, seeing as they should have been Sunderland’s opponents this season in League One. 

The opening paragraph mentions Kevin Phillips and Phil Parkinson when the article is about Stewart Donald and the state of the ownership of the club and Donald doesn’t get a mention till the final paragraph. 

On 27/12/2019 at 23:24, Smiley Culture said:

That’s horrendously written, that. It could and should be so much better. It reads as one bloke’s boozed up rant released at 8.30 on a Friday night with an massive sense of entitlement and a massive chip on their shoulder. 

Using Bolton as some sort of ego trip is massively wrong. Bolton should be used in that statement as an example of a club that has suffered, and still is suffering, from mismanagement of epic proportions rather than being used as some sort of example of entitlement and Bury could have been used as an example of a worst case scenario, seeing as they should have been Sunderland’s opponents this season in League One. 

The opening paragraph mentions Kevin Phillips and Phil Parkinson when the article is about Stewart Donald and the state of the ownership of the club and Donald doesn’t get a mention till the final paragraph. 

Nailed it.

The communication between the board room and the fans at 90%+ of clubs is worse than it should be, but there they come across as very entitled. A gentle reminder they haven't won anything would suffice.

I'm surprised they haven't had a takeover as of yet. The potential of that football club is huge. It's a very similar situation to when Sheffield United were lurking in League One in 2014. They just need somebody to come in and sort out the structure on the field.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.b2ca6308f83960212e31e6c24d0b2f08.png

Sunderland: League One club's fans pressured owner Stewart Donald into the proposed sale

Sunderland has confirmed that the League One club has been put up for sale by owner Stewart Donald.

The Black Cats have stated that it was pressure from upset fan groups which led to the board making their decision.

A joint fans' statement calling for the club to be sold immediately has led to the confirmation of the story reported last week by BBC Radio Newcastle.

"The board feels that it has no option but to sell the club. That process has now commenced," read a statement.

"Owing to confidentiality agreements, there will be no further updates until a preferred bidder is identified."

The club also made reference to Donald's "sincere commitment on his arrival at Sunderland that 'I won't outstay my welcome'."

Donald bought the club from American Ellis Short in the summer of 2018 following relegation from the Championship. But they then failed to win promotion back at the first attempt, losing to Charlton Athletic in the Wembley play-off final through an injury-time goal.

Sunderland are ninth in the table, just a point off the top six following a successful festive period in which they extended their unbeaten run to five games.

But they were sixth when Jack Ross was sacked in October - and results have only just started to turn for his replacement Phil Parkinson.

Donald owned National League club Eastleigh before taking on the Wearsiders.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51019630

Archived