The better place to talk football.

Away Goals Rule

football forum

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
2 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

In favour in normal time. Against in extra time.

Without it in normal time the away team in the first leg would be too defensive.

this. I don't understand why it was changed. 

I disagree with the logic of avoiding defensiveness. Most teams look at a 0-0 at home as a good result now. 

It just means we have games like the Atelti-Bayern match last season with Bayern going apeshit trying to score some way goals and Atleti holding on for dear life and hoping they can nick a goal. 

Never been a fan of this. Like it kills the tie. I mean a goal should count double only cause you scored away from home ? That's dumb in my opinion. I understand why this rule has been putting on , but i think it ruins the ties a bit.

17 minutes ago, Inverted said:

I disagree with the logic of avoiding defensiveness. Most teams look at a 0-0 at home as a good result now. 

It just means we have games like the Atelti-Bayern match last season with Bayern going apeshit trying to score some way goals and Atleti holding on for dear life and hoping they can nick a goal. 

True but there is no good formula for a two leg tie so you have to choose what has the least detrimental effect.

Some teams have the quality to game the system. Others don't. I think less teams can game the away goals system than otherwise which forces more of them out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

the stupidity in the rule lies in the 2nd leg when it goes to extra time and away sides in that 2nd leg have an extra half hour advantage. 

I'm in favour of the rule because playing away from home is harder and more taxing, and this rule rewards your ability to perform and get goals in those conditions. However I do think that after the 90, in extra time, it shouldn't apply. 

1 hour ago, Messiesta said:

I'm in favour of the rule because playing away from home is harder and more taxing, and this rule rewards your ability to perform and get goals in those conditions. However I do think that after the 90, in extra time, it shouldn't apply. 

In these modern times with advancement in travel and more sterile home crowds, it really isn't that big a deal to have such a big rule for it.

• 1 year later...
  • Administrator
1 hour ago, Devon Von Devon said:

In my opinion clean sheets should be the tie breaker not who scored more goals on away ground.

Team A 2-4 Team B

Team B 0-2 Team A

Team A progress, it is a reward for the defensive effort of the winning team. 

Mourinho is jizzing right now at the prospect of this. 

Personally feel the away goals rule is massively outdated and only seeks to stifle games. The weight of an away goal is just too heavy. It's just not as important as it used to be anymore. They should do away with it all together. Why should an away goal be as important as a home goal? A goal, is a goal. They are equally as valuable.

The game in general has completely evolved from where it was at. Football was far more defensive back in the day. Teams didn't have the tools at their disposal as they do now, in terms of scouting opponents. It was a lot about going into the 'unknown', not knowing what to expect, so away teams would set up conservatively to combat this.

Some away trips would be absolute hell in terms of travelling, it wasn't always straight forward plane journey's as it is now. Of course, if it was a mission to travel, something like this would only add to the disadvantage of being the away team, so away goals would obviously be more valuable but in this day and age, travel is so much more easier. Players have all the comforts they need, it's like a home away from home really. Grounds and pitches are pretty much exemplary too nowadays. I mean we have UEFA 4/5 star rated stadiums in the likes of Azerbaijan, Poland, Ukraine, Russia etc. Facilities are top drawer. It's not as daunting or intimidating.

Personally think we would see the quality of ties improve and be more competitive if we done away with away goals. And if people who actually play or are involved in the game want it gone, what does that tell you. It's time to stop clinging on to an old ideology.

Archived