talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Why do people not like International Football?

It’s the “cool” thing to do isn’t it, not liking International football and International weekends? You can absolutely guarantee that the LADBanter types at Paddy Power tweeted “Its International Week Again Lads, FFS :(“ or something along those lines on Monday and there just seems to be a general opinion that International Football isn’t popular. 

I was just wondering why people dislike International Football? I get it breaks up club football and people are pro-club football but everyone seems to come together for major tournaments but people really seem to dislike International Football. 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

I think a lot of people don't like International football when it's played in mid-season, especially when the English club football season is in full swing, the number of games played, injuries, players coming back fatigued also it seems the International training sessions are different to club level and injuries suddenly occur, this is my opinion only but I am sure there is a lot in here more clued up on the game than me.  

It's, in my opinion, not so much that people dislike international football as such, what they do dislike is club football with which they feel a closer connection, because it is more regularly and the club's representing their community, interrupted by it,  if international football wouldn't do this like say European football people wouldn't mind it. Take the big tournaments or the annoyance many people feel during the winter break as an example. That's also the reason, why fans of lower league clubs, which do play while the international break don't complain about the national teams matches.

Personally, I don't see how you can have a connection with people from the same 'country' really, it's too big, too disparate. Your town/city is far more likely to reflect you and to generate a better sense of community.

Love the World Cup and Euros, but not because of feeling close to England, just love seeing free footy on the telly everyday.

As for your LADbible digs, I find England fans to usually be exactly the kind of morons who you are attempting to take the piss out of. I've never met a sound person who is really into the England national team, I imagine it's different in the South though.

I think part of it is because club football is so localized, that we as fans feel closer to our teams as it's typically our neighborhood, and thus something we take more seriously. Now, seeing our players play International games is usually more a scare than anything due to injuries and whatnot. 

Also, You can't get relegated in International Football (not including the new Nations League), so the price for not playing well doesn't have the same repercussions. Which is odd, as I don't know many people who enjoy ANY club football competition as much as they do the World Cup...but watching the qualifying and meaningless friendlies are typically pretty painful.  

It’ll always be United first. I think it’s the same for a lot of fans of ‘big clubs’. Seeing West Ham fans burn an effigy of your player because he got sent off and the response to most United/England players in the late 90’s and 00’s just genuinely makes me think fuck you and fuck England. And fuck your shit annoying band as well. 

However, I’ll still be watching tonight as I’ll watch pretty much any football. I’m glad if they win, even better if it’s a big tournament. 

Firstly, I think there’s a large disconnect between England and most of the country. England played, as you’d expect given the cost and time it took, all of their games back at Wembley solidly for about ten years. They effectively were like a London based club side. At least before hand, when Wembley was being rebuilt, I can imagine there was a bit of a fanfare when England were in town.

UEFA’s scheduling doesn’t help either. Games are rarely on a Saturday or a Sunday and most are evenings during the week, so if you actually are interested in watching England live and live outside of the South East, you’re going to have to look at taking at least one day’s annual leave and think about transport and potentially hotels, too. It’s easy to see why you’d feel disassociated with that. 

I don’t think the games help either. From an England perspective, we’re consistently a Pot One nation when it comes to draws for qualifiers so we seldom rarely play a team of a decent enough quality in a competitive game and there’s only so much interested you can hold in England playing the likes of Lithuania, Montenegro and San Marino. At least the Nations League has somewhat addressed that but qualifiers for the World Cup and Euros are dour, predictable and such a poor standard.

There was also that period where it felt like England just seemed to play a never-ending stream of friendlies. While opposition was good in France, Italy, Portugal, Brazil etc, they were Friendlies and played with no flow or tempo and friendlies in November and March, for example, are utterly meaningless and annoying. 

I think the stop, start nature of both club and International football at this time of year is annoying. The club season hasn’t quite got into its stride and there’s an International break, it starts to pick up with the addition of European club competitions then there’s a break in October and just as the season is hitting its stride, there’s another in November.

I think the same can be said of Internationals, too. Two games here, two games there are hard to get into because as soon as they come around they’re gone again whereas with a tournament, people know that there’s a solid bloke of football and it’s not as broken up as games at this time of year. I’m not sure how it would work outside of Europe but I wonder if a dedicated block of International games at some point in the year, say 4-6 games, could be put in as I think that wouldn’t ruin the flow of a club season and give International football a dedicated block in the calendar that people could get behind. 

• Subscriber

International friendlies during the football seasons should be used by playing youth players from all the clubs with maybe 2/3 senior players in to guide the youth along, I don't know if it's just me that has noticed but lately some players from clubs who have been picked to play for their country have suddenly picked up an injury and had to pull out of the match and suddenly when the International friendly has been played they are suddenly deemed fit (after a miracle recovery) to play for their club?  :whistling: :coffee:  

Personally I like international football. Although I did find it quite boring untill recently. England are more entertaining under Southgate in my opinion. The players don't play together so it is much though so international football is normally much slower. 

6 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Love the World Cup and Euros, but not because of feeling close to England, just love seeing free footy on the telly everyday.

Same, I just love the football. Not one bit of patriotism here.

Qualifiers are boring though. I watch Portugal but nothing else.

Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

I get the impression that perhaps international football is more important than club football in South America @Grizzly21 ?

Depends on the country. In places like Peru, Colombia and Chile then yes. In Argentina and Brazil not so much. 

1 minute ago, Machado said:

Same, I just love the football. Not one bit of patriotism here.

Qualifiers are boring though. I watch Portugal but nothing else.

Never been to Portugal but my parents were there during euro 2012. They said you guys are very passionate. Apparently fans were crying when you went out to Spain

Just now, Grizzly21 said:

Depends on the country. In places like Peru, Colombia and Chile then yes. In Argentina and Brazil not so much. 

Really?? Would have thought Brazil fans would be. 

Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

Really?? Would have thought Brazil fans would be. 

Brazil fans are very pessimistic towards their own national team. Almost as bad as the English are.

There's a lot of reasons, imo. First off, I don't like having the season being disrupted by mid-season international matches. Honestly, with the number of matches these players play a season too that new UEFA Cup of Nations bullshit really just pisses me off - yes it's cool we made it to the semi-final - but none of these players need these extra matches.

Secondly, I think the quality in international football is largely lacking compared to club football. It makes sense - at club level these players practice with each other all the time. Good clubs that play good football end up with players that know each other inside and out, so you see better football more frequently. With international football, there's a lot of passion because the players are representing their countries but there's not a lot of quality. So imo, it's not as good to watch.

Thirdly, and this is more true of England in the past than currently... because currently I think the current England squad is thoroughly likeable. But in the past... there have been a ton of dickheads out there representing England that I didn't want to represent me because they're dickheads. Get fucked John Terry, nobody likes you.

Forth, I don't like a lot of England fans so that sort of turns me off them. And then other than that, it's a bit weird supporting other national sides because... I'm English. I could support Iran because of my mum - and I do look out for their results and try to catch highlights and I always want them to win, but I barely know any of the players. It's not like Iranian football is easily accessible or anything either. I could support the US national side because I live here now, but... yeah I'm not going to do that, I'm English. So when there have been moments where I've been irritated by England fans/players, I've been turned off from watching the England side and as a result have been turned off from watching international football.

Then there's everything you put in your post after you asked the question @Smiley Culture - where you do a pretty good job explaining other general reasons why 

• Subscriber

More bothered about Leicester than England. Always have been. Always will be. Can't help it.

I don't mind internationals but it's not quite the same.

The scheduling's always been a pain. Feel like they come too early in a season.

• Subscriber

I think the easy way I look at it actually is that after that Liverpool game, a gutting loss, I want us to get a win soon to get it out of our system, not mull over it for two weeks while England play absolute procession games.

Qualifiiers are rubbish unless you go away I'd imagine. There's no real satisfaction in beating shit like Bulgaria and Montenegro.

Don’t really like a lot of England fans though. Might be a sweeping generalisation but you’re being tarred with the same brush as the dickhead element of the English support, who I see are covering themselves in glory in Prague. Must be like following Millwall, following England away. 

3 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Never been to Portugal but my parents were there during euro 2012. They said you guys are very passionate. Apparently fans were crying when you went out to Spain

There's always the one isn't there. Personally I can't say I've ever seen anyone cry over the NT, or even get more than moderately upset over a defeat.

6 minutes ago, Machado said:

There's always the one isn't there. Personally I can't say I've ever seen anyone cry over the NT, or even get more than moderately upset over a defeat.

I can't get my head around that mate. You guys were so close so many times. I was devistated when we lost to Croatia. More than a quarter final defeat which you just expect with england.  I don't know if you are to young for euro 2004 but I would have been devistated if that was England loosing in the final to Greece. I think @ASF if very passionate about the national team.

To be honest, I try to keep my expectations low whenever Peru play, because when we lose a big game I get pretty upset and feel like that the next day as well. I remember when we lost to Chile 4-3 in Lima, I was so pissed. 

Going to the Estadio Nacional pre-2010 was depressing. People would cry at the ground over how shit we were.

Archived