talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Why do people not like International Football?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of you are being too harsh on international football.

There are plenty of boring games in those so called ' best leagues of the world '. For a lot of Premiership, La Liga, CL etc matches how properly entertaining are they for a full 90 minutes ? Some of them are plain dull, and these are the highest paid professionals of the sport not very impressive at all.

I can understand that club comes first in those parts of the world but international football despite it's limitations is a great side of the sport.

I have no interest at all in international football, but don't mind the breaks per se, I just go and watch one of the domestic leagues that still play and glance at the international results. My interest in football isn't in the top / elite levels though, which probably helps!

1 hour ago, Stick With Azeem said:

Some of you are being too harsh on international football.

There are plenty of boring games in those so called ' best leagues of the world '. For a lot of Premiership, La Liga, CL etc matches how properly entertaining are they for a full 90 minutes ? Some of them are plain dull, and these are the highest paid professionals of the sport not very impressive at all.

I can understand that club comes first in those parts of the world but international football despite it's limitations is a great side of the sport.

Domestic games, barring cup games, are typically of a closer quality than some International games. 

People don't dislike international football they just dislike things that interrupt the season and break momentum. I suspect most would feel the same on the FA cup weekends as they do in international breaks. In my case my cable subscription doesn't cover anything other than EPL so it basically means a weekend full of football I can't watch, and on at unpredictable times...

Culture! That's the answer.

I personally LOVE international football but aside from the must be played qualifiers for whatever international tournament, I profoundly dislike international friendlies during a domestic season.

International football is the pinacle of this sport whether people like that or not. The elite footballing nations have provided the greatest football moments in history through international tournaments.

Supporting a club team is what you do every week, so this always becomes a priority and whenever there is an international break, it's a hindrance to the season. It can completely fuck a club's season up in fact and make them completely lose momentum in a period where they are on fire and growing. International breaks then come along, their players are flying everywhere around the world and then come back tired, jet-lagged or even injured.

15 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I can't get my head around that mate. You guys were so close so many times. I was devistated when we lost to Croatia. More than a quarter final defeat which you just expect with england.  I don't know if you are to young for euro 2004 but I would have been devistated if that was England loosing in the final to Greece. I think @ASF if very passionate about the national team.

I'm not too young. Just laughed it off to be honest. No big deal for me.

• Subscriber

Honestly, that semi final v Croatia didn't hurt that much. I just don't think I've got that same investment into it. Last weeks result hurt me a lot more than that and that to me sums up where I stand.

Can't say the same for me and Peru. Its the team I'm most invested in. When we lost to Denmark I was really upset, hurt more than any recent result I can remember.

In club football I don't get too upset when York 9 loses, mostly because I know they'll get another shot in a week or 2. It's more a string of games that frustrate me, but even them compared to Peru I don't get upset at all. 

• Subscriber

I don't mind it too much, maybe because it's a welcome occasional break from having Everton ruin my weekends over the past 5 years. I enjoyed the Nations League as well.

I think you struggle to get real momentum in International football. It's hard to care about what sort of form your team's in if it's been two months since they played. For England the qualifiers (so basically all non-tournament football) is a foregone conclusion as well. I imagine for fans of Wales, Scotland and other nations where qualification is always in the balance, that international football carries a bit more interest.

I casually support England and I'm never really too bothered when they lose. I felt a bit disappointed when they lost the semi-finals in the World Cup and Nations League but nothing more than that, whereas I get full on angry when Everton lose a standard league fixture.

There's no doubt that the England team are a lot more interesting and worth supporting now under Southgate than they have been at any other point in my lifetime, it's just hard to maintain that much passion for it when it's two easy wins every 6-10 weeks then back to the Premier League.

Archived