talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League Player of the Season

Player of Season 2016/17  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Who's been the outstanding player of the season? All players selected here have played since the start of the season

• Zlatan Ibrahimovic
    • Sadio Mane
    • Harry Kane
    • Danny Rose
    • Adam Lallana
    • N'Golo Kante
    • Eden Hazard
    • Diego Costa
    • Sergio Aguero
    • Alexis Sanchez
    • Christian Eriksen
    • Jordan Henderson
    • Romelu Lukaku

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went for Kante as probably Chelsea's best player. Knowing the Premiership the award will go to the best player of the team of the league winners. Hope Hazard doesn't get it, improved on last season obviously but still bettered by Pedro.

53 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

I don't understand why Danny Rose, Adam Lallana, Eden Hazard, Sergio Aguero, Christian Eriksen or Jordan Henderson are on that list. They're all good players that could do a good job for a 'Top 6' side but are they really on the same level as the rest of the names? Some perhaps but based on this season I'd beg to differ.

Up until a few weeks ago an argument could have been made for Lallana being our best player this season. He had a dip in form but was excellent yesterday. Mane's importance has obviously been shown since he went away and came back

• Administrator

think there should be some honorable mentions for Gareth McAuley at West Brom. Zlatan gets plaudits for doing it as his age for Utd around other star players. McAuley, especially this season, has been solid for West Brom and is a couple of years older than Zlatan. Yet still gets the odd goal for West Brom and has definitely been a key part in their side's relative success in the league this season. 

I went for Alexis Sanchez purely based on his return ratio for Arsenal but I can see the arguement for the likes of Mane, Costa, Kante and Ibrahimovic. It's possibly be the most difficult to pick in years because of how good of a team Chelsea have been in comparison to others.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Cannabis said:

I don't understand why Danny Rose, Adam Lallana, Eden Hazard, Sergio Aguero, Christian Eriksen or Jordan Henderson are on that list. They're all good players that could do a good job for a 'Top 6' side but are they really on the same level as the rest of the names? Some perhaps but based on this season I'd beg to differ.

Polls like this are always subjective but I would contend your contention (is that a thing?). In terms of form, Danny Rose has been one of the best left backs in Europe, not just the Premier League. Arguably, so has James Milner. Eden Hazard's form has dipped recently but he has been influential this season. 

Zlatan Ibrahimović

How can it be anyone else really!  The guy is as old as they come and at that age is when he chose that he should have his adventure in England's Premier League.  He'd done it all from Italy, Spain, France and now England and Manchester United.  Curiously many used to say he'd never make it here based on that he didn't have a good record against English clubs when playing in Europe...  Add to that, that going to United wasn't an easy place to excel with all of their issues in recent years.  He has been the main man!

Just like the character that loves to prove people wrong...  He chose to do it when others are either retiring from the sport or going to play their final days in that glamorous league in China.

How can it be anyone else.

There's a few standouts. Zlatan is obviously one because without him I think United would be absolutely nowhere. 

Mane for us has been brilliant, as has Lallana. 

Lukaku, although not great in other aspects, has done his job of putting the ball in the net brilliantly. 

Kane and Alli deserve a mention but their recent goal celebrations make me want to kick their head in so no, fuck off. 

So, and it pains me to say it, I'm going to go with Ibra. He's been an absolute beast so far. 

• Subscriber
On ‎05‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 8:43 AM, Cannabis said:

Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Manchester United)
Manchester United's stand-out player without a doubt and at the age of 35 it's a testament to the man himself to see how well he's doing. Without him in the side they wouldn't have won the EFL Cup and they wouldn't have been anywhere near the league position they are in now. He's someone who wanders around the pitch, scanning for pockets of space before utilising them and making defences pay. It's vital that he signs up for next season at Old Trafford to keep the Mourinho engine ticking.

Saido Mane (Liverpool)

In similar fashion to Zlatan he's carried Liverpool at times, banging goals in for fun which is remarkable considering he's not an out-and-out striker. It's little coincidence that when he went to the African Cup of Nations his side's form went down the toilet and it's also little coincidence that they're getting points on the board now that he's back. For all the stick Liverpool get for signing anything that moves in Southampton this was without doubt a sensible purchase, from an Everton point of view I just hope he moves along quickly!

Harry Kane (Spurs)

Three hat-tricks already in 2017 shows you everything you need to know about Harry Kane this season. He's back to his deadly best after a below-par Euro 2016 and is progressing nicely in a team which is defiantly on the up. He and Delli Alli (who should arguably be on this list himself) are set for bright futures.

N'Golo Kante (Chelsea)

He's carried on from his season at Leicester hasn't he? Tackling anything that moves and providing un-rivalled safety to the defence behind him, in being so good he allows the Chelsea full-backs to push right up the pitch which shouldn't be taken lightly - with him in your team you can basically go gung-ho with the confidence that any counter-attacks will be snuffed out. A nightmare to play against.

Romelu Lukaku (Everton)

Another great season for Rom who equalled Everton's scoring record in the Premier League last week. He's improved ten-fold since we took him on loan from Chelsea two seasons ago and is arguably one of the best young strikers in Europe. He gets a lot of stick for his all-round game (his first touch for example leaves a lot to be desired) however you can't argue he's a born finisher - if we can tie him down to a new contract (which his agent says is 99.9% done) then I'll be a very happy man.

Eriksen most goals and assists combined of any midfielder in the league - was until yesterday top for assists in the league, most chances created etc.

• Subscriber
Just now, Cannabis said:

In that case I stand corrected :).

He still hasn't had a great season though imo - so you're correct xD But in a stats driven league, he deserves to be mentioned, he's productive, if not always on top of his game.

Archived