talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

40 Most Valuable Vinyl Records

football forum

• Subscriber

Brought back from the verge of extinction, vinyl record sales are booming due to a renewed interest among younger generations. As a general rule, the rarer the record, more valuable it is — you may have some treasure buried in your garage.

Next time you go crate diggin’, keep a keen eye out for any of these records.

BEGIN SLIDESHOW - 1/40

Led-Zeppelin-I-.jpg?resize=801,721&ssl=1

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

I had 4 of the Beatles records in that lot above, Abbey Road (30), Please, Please, Me (27), Yesterday and Today (10) & The Beatles (aka The White Album - 10) I bought in Australia when I was a young long hair git in the early sixties, I left them with one of my sisters out there when I came back to the UK in 1972, they are more than likely binned as that sister did not like the Beatles...sigh.  

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

I know for a fact I have the first one on the slide.. probably have like four ped zeppelin's. 

Could be worth a few quid then Teso, I liked the Zep and I think I had a few singles and a couple of LPs years back but where they are now I would not have a clue.  

• Subscriber

A bit unrelated but that's a huge disadvantage of the future of everything digital. No more books to hold in a hand, no photos to keep in a photo album, no records to take out of the sleeve and put on the old record player. Just sterile text, sound or image on a screen. Blergh.

44 minutes ago, nudge said:

A bit unrelated but that's a huge disadvantage of the future of everything digital. No more books to hold in a hand, no photos to keep in a photo album, no records to take out of the sleeve and put on the old record player. Just sterile text, sound or image on a screen. Blergh.

That's why vinyl is making a comeback nudge. 

I lament that fact too though as well as that it deprives you of being able to buy gifts for people. Books, music and movies were fantastic gifts for those shipping in the $50 and under bracket.

• Subscriber
11 hours ago, nudge said:

10 hours ago, Harry said:

That's why vinyl is making a comeback nudge. 

I lament that fact too though as well as that it deprives you of being able to buy gifts for people. Books, music and movies were fantastic gifts for those shipping in the $50 and under bracket.

Quote.thumb.png.34e37d735edc91e79a2f0ee6405f9e3a.png

It started with Thomas Edison’s first phonograph in 1877, which played back sound from wax cylinders coated in tin foil. That quickly evolved into the vinyl record and the turntable, which eventually became a mainstay in most households. In the mid-1960s, along came cassettes and 8-track tapes, making it easy to play your favourite tunes in the comfort of your automobile. It seemed as if recorded music couldn’t possibly get any better (or, at least, any more convenient).

And then digital recording was invented, opening the door to CDs and then to digital streaming, which is at an all-time high right now, with individuals listening to more than 32 hours per week in 2017,  according to Nielsen Music.

But if you think that vinyl has been relegated to the role of a niche collector’s market, you’d be quite mistaken. Nielsen Music 2017 U.S. Music Year-End Report states that over 14 million vinyl records were sold in the United States alone that year — the highest level since 1991, according to Billboard.

You’d think that such a resurgence in popularity must have a definitive cause and effect relationship with a market event. But it turns out that the explanation isn’t quite that simple. Here are five possible reasons why vinyl is making a comeback:

FULL REPORT

• The title was changed to 40 Most Valuable Vinyl Records
  • Subscriber

Give it a decade it will flip again haha. Doesn't tarnish the worth of those albums on the press but this is how music ownership or rentals generally work. I wish I had stock in a vinyl player company theres some hipsters dropping mad money into that business.

• 2 months later...

My dad has an atrocious vinyl record by Karel Appel that sells for 300 euros on a good day, but he can't bring himself to sell it because it is so hilariously bad.

I have several CDs that people have offered over 100 euros for, but I didn't sell one so far.

• 4 weeks later...

I can't bring myself to collect vinyl at the moment as the CD market right now is incredibly cheap. You can find amazing albums and rare finds for a few dollars each. Thanks to the vinyl market decreasing teh value of the CD album.

On 15/10/2019 at 16:04, Dr. Gonzo said:

The link's not working for me... but my dad's got a first press of Bowie's The Man Who Sold the World & has the album all framed up because he's convinced it's worth a lot of money.

Him and probably a million others.

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/01/2020 at 10:46, Spike said:

Him and probably a million others.

No idea how many were in the first press, but yeah probably. But the first ones are pretty rare, it’s put out by a different label than the ones that came after it. It’s got a really weird cover too.

• Subscriber
On 15/10/2019 at 22:04, Dr. Gonzo said:

The link's not working for me... but my dad's got a first press of Bowie's The Man Who Sold the World & has the album all framed up because he's convinced it's worth a lot of money.

R-1230645-1453448730-4472.jpeg.jpg.d40418ea3c3eedf49c26bc4b6281c9aa.jpg

download.thumb.png.f6e272835a19167c1f320aec3ceb3baa.png

1351768918_download(2).thumb.png.9fe780f1b2756cd87192209e93e944ef.png

https://www.discogs.com/David-Bowie-The-Man-Who-Sold-The-World/release/1230645

Archived