talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Will Everton get relegated?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If so it would be one of the most outrageous failures in the premier league era.

If this is intended to be a jinx thread then it's got the logic of the premise the wrong way around. The better title would be "will Everton totally and completely avoid relegation?"

• Subscriber

Too early to say really. I mean if you think about it from a sheer points differential then you have this.

image.png.bd08e09c9d871ff4047729d15b861963.png

Any one of those teams is a candidate for relegation really. They are in such poor form it would be hard to say that a team sitting on 6 points is surely getting relegated.

No there will easily be at least three worse teams than them. Their home form against lower sides is always half decent which would see them out of any trouble. And if things don't look like improving they'll just sack Silva and bring someone like Allardyce in like they did a couple of years ago

They’d almost certainly sack Silva if it looked likely or even that they were being dragged into a battle. Personally think they’re not in a relegation battle yet. 

Their home form isn’t awful, two defeats so far, to City and Sheff U. City, you’d expect and they’d have looked at Sheff U as three points. Three of their next five are at home and I think they’re going to be key games for Silva. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I would prefer they stay up and Man United went down

I'd prefer they degraded to below 10th for over a decade so we can spank them twice every year personally but I see your point about relegation and it does sound equally tasty. (talking about United)

• Subscriber

Theres too much talent in our squad to go down. Even if they perform somewhat decent in 1 in 3 of our remaining games we should comfortably be away from the bottom three.

Put it this way, if the players in that squad end up relegated (regardless of manager) then it's probably one of the most disgraceful season-long performances you've ever seen.

I cant see it though a part of me thinks it could be the best thing to happen to the club in the most warped way possible. At least something different for our lot to whinge on about.

19 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Theres too much talent in our squad to go down. Even if they perform somewhat decent in 1 in 3 of our remaining games we should comfortably be away from the bottom three.

Put it this way, if the players in that squad end up relegated (regardless of manager) then it's probably one of the most disgraceful season-long performances you've ever seen.

I cant see it though a part of me thinks it could be the best thing to happen to the club in the most warped way possible. At least something different for our lot to whinge on about.

It is all smelling a bit 'Villa' at the moment, you'd think with the new stadium coming there would be an air of optimism but things seem bleaker than ever at Everton. Probably because there's a lot of cynicism about the stadium, people will only be confident once it's being built.

• Administrator

Everton aren't going down. Too much about them to get enough results and there are far worse teams with lesser prospects and players that won't pluck out a result later in the season. 

It's only been 8 games, as well. Wasn't it only 2 seasons ago that Palace had 0 points and 0 goals after 7 games and still comfortably stayed up? 

Think Everton will finish mid table. 

I think Newcastle, Southampton and Norwich will go down. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

It is all smelling a bit 'Villa' at the moment, you'd think with the new stadium coming there would be an air of optimism but things seem bleaker than ever at Everton. Probably because there's a lot of cynicism about the stadium, people will only be confident once it's being built.

This happens every few weeks normally to be fair.

There’s 6 points between them and 7th place Burnley, I can’t see it at all tbh

Everton are poor and haven’t really offered much for a long time but they’ll probably still finish somewhere around midtable. If anything it’ll give them the chance to sack Silva and get a decent manager in

• Subscriber
31 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I'd say they're just as bad, if not worse than the start of 17/18 under Koeman

Disagree. That season if we'd played City at home we'd have been hit for 5 or 6. You can see at least the manager and players haven't given up yet like two years ago. This squad also has the makings of some quality in every position while under Koeman the only games we managed to get points were from Rooney penalties and calling on Tom Davies and Niasse to bail us out.

Dan is right. We were worse off two years ago and we still finished 8th. I wouldn't expect the same again if we don't improve as Leicester, probably Wolves and West Ham at least would finish ahead of us.

3 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Disagree. That season if we'd played City at home we'd have been hit for 5 or 6. You can see at least the manager and players haven't given up yet like two years ago. This squad also has the makings of some quality in every position while under Koeman the only games we managed to get points were from Rooney penalties and calling on Tom Davies and Niasse to bail us out.

Dan is right. We were worse off two years ago and we still finished 8th. I wouldn't expect the same again if we don't improve as Leicester, probably Wolves and West Ham at least would finish ahead of us.

You drew with City early on that season...

1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

Fair point, we did at least have the decency to be not shite for the first two games before we Evertoned.

Mad that game was the only game City dropped points in before Christmas too. xD

Look, you watch them more than me and I know you took some hammerings early on in 17/18 but they were against top 6 sides if I recall. I just wouldn't be so sure you're any better than a couple of years ago. The results are similar at the moment. 

The next couple are big ones for Silva

• Subscriber
18 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Mad that game was the only game City dropped points in before Christmas too. xD

Look, you watch them more than me and I know you took some hammerings early on in 17/18 but they were against top 6 sides if I recall. I just wouldn't be so sure you're any better than a couple of years ago. The results are similar at the moment. 

The next couple are big ones for Silva

Rumour is he has three games to save his job. I'm all against sacking him but you can't really expect more patience than that in modern football. It would be peak Everton for us to lose to Watford at home in the cup and that to be the final nail in his coffin.

But yeah, I have more faith in this team than Koeman's mess. We didn't even have a formation back then. Sigurdsson was playing left mid with Rooney behind Niasse, Calvert-Lewin started the first game against Stoke at right wing back (no seriously), Schneiderlin was first choice alongside Gueye and we were playing Cuco Martina at left back after Baines got injured. Ashley Williams. Things aren't quite that dire these days even if the results make it look that way. We're bad but it's easy to forget just how dysfunctional that team was. Walcott and Tosun came in and actually markedly improved on what we had xD.

Archived