talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Man Utd 1-1 Liverpool - Sunday 20th October, 2019

football forum

55 minutes ago, Stan said:

That would be fucking incredible but this Liverpool side is probably the best I've seen in my generation. This season is theirs.

Our bench is the worry for me. Was in the summer as well. When you compare that to City. Not signing a forward is going to hurt us. We need a game changer. Despite how decent Origi has been, he isn't that reliable. Shaq has regressed and Brewster is still a kid. 

One small hope is that both Keita and Ox could find form and come good. They have it in them to make the difference, but both have shitty fitness records. 

@topic

Terrible game. But United made that. They were in our faces. So fair play to them. With the form they were in and the shitty press negativity around them all through the week (at times it was OTT), I thought they did well.

We looked toothless and out of ideas until we got the goal. 

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
2 minutes ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

Our bench is the worry for me. Was in the summer as well. When you compare that to City. Not signing a forward is going to hurt us. We need a game changer. Despite how decent Origi has been, he isn't that reliable. Shaq has regressed and Brewster is still a kid. 

One small hope is that both Keita and Ox could find form and come good. They have it in them to make the difference, but both have shitty fitness records. 

@topic

Terrible game. But United made that. They were in our faces. So fair play to them. With the form they were in and the shitty press negativity around them all through the week (at times it was OTT), I thought they did well.

We looked toothless and out of ideas until we got the goal. 

I was surprised to hear Keita hasn't started a Premier League game yet (if I heard incorrectly before the game, then my bad).

I think you have enough in your squad to get over the line, even if City do have stronger depth. Seen already a couple of times that City can be susceptible and can lose points. It's a sign of champions to play very poorly and still grind out results, like Liverpool did today and have done so on a couple of occasions. 

The only times I can see Liverpool possibly dropping points (not necessarily losing games, mind) is Man City home and away and dare I say potentially when you play us away from home just after the CWC. Already getting a 5 points lead at this stage is so promising for you.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Stan said:

That would be fucking incredible but this Liverpool side is probably the best I've seen in my generation.

Nah, the Liverpool team(s) in the Paisley era shits all over this Liverpool team under Klopp, let's see if Klopp can keep it running like the Shanks/Paisley era, I cant see that tbh  

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Nah, the Liverpool team(s) in the Paisley era shits all over this Liverpool team under Klopp, let's see if Klopp can keep it running like the Shanks/Paisley era, I cant see that tbh  

'in my generation'

Naah 5 points is nothing at this stage. 

We do have a fabulous first 11, but beyond that there's uncertainty. Having Klopp in the corner helps massively, cause he makes average players deliver. 

But God forbid if one of our main players in defence or attack gets injured, cause we will see a massive drop in quality. 

2 hours ago, Burning Gold said:

I'm still yet to witness a goal not being celebrated, by the way. Really feels like the anti-VAR lot have decided on this criticism in advance and are now just refusing to let it go

Not a novel concept. We celebrate on the flick of an LED light rather than after the goal is scored now, not when it hits the back of the net. That's not how football should work.

Just like you think us Anti VAR are refusing to let this go, pro-VAR are refusing to let go that its only improved decisions by 5% and the stakes are higher to get a decision right yet they don't. If you think we have an agenda, I need you to know yours are just as bad.

VAR needs to be binned. I rather have shit referees than have the spectacle ruined.

26 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I just got into an argument with my cousin on fb after he posted about scousers eating rats, council house jibes etc (he's since deleted it). And people think the two cities are similar.

Tory Tory Man United

I read comments on social media from scousers that were startling after the Manchester bombings. However, the people I work with in the city (of Liverpool) on a daily basis are pretty much some of the best, down to earth, sound human beings you could ever wish to meet. Let’s not throw everybody from a city into the same category ffs.

No dig intended here but is there an arguement to suggest Liverpool freeze when they go to Old Trafford? 

I don't understand why they struggle there. Easily had the better side 2 years running (even if Salah was missing today) and yet, they looked second best.

Is it a mentality thing? Is it a slightly different gameplan because it's probably both teams cup final in the season. United seem to find something for this game and yet Liverpool don't.

I genuinely don't know.

32 minutes ago, Grizzly21 said:

Not a novel concept. We celebrate on the flick of an LED light rather than after the goal is scored now, not when it hits the back of the net. That's not how football should work.

Just like you think us Anti VAR are refusing to let this go, pro-VAR are refusing to let go that its only improved decisions by 5% and the stakes are higher to get a decision right yet they don't. If you think we have an agenda, I need you to know yours are just as bad.

VAR needs to be binned. I rather have shit referees than have the spectacle ruined.

I'm not saying you're lying, but I've literally never seen this happen, so I don't think it's a widespread thing. It seems incredibly unlikely to me that fans of a team would not celebrate a goal, to be honest. Who's "we"?

The problem with your 5% thing is that it's bollocks. It completely ignores the fact that VAR is only used for big, difficult decisions, so the impact of that 5% is actually much bigger than that number suggests.

I think VAR's been pretty poor in the Premier League this season, but I just don't think it's unfixable, and I'm yet to see a solid argument otherwise. Just the same baseless nonsense from people who made up their minds a long time ago.

What’s the crack with Naby Keita? Looked decent when he came on and tried to attack the game centrally with his passing? He was meant to be a big signing wasn’t he?

Think United might get too much praise, they played well to shut Liverpool out but they didn’t really create a lot throughout the game and I’m not sure what direction OGS is trying to take them in? I’m not sure I saw a performance today where you can say OK they’re going to look to do this, this and this to get results. The game plan seems to be just hope Dan James’ pace will be enough on the break

• Administrator
37 minutes ago, Grizzly21 said:

When and where is that 5% figure from?

Our 'agenda' isn't exactly bad considering some big decisions are being overturned for correct ones. It goes back to a conversation several weeks ago - 'we' are happy to accept VAR has its faults and there have been some very contentious/controversial calls still. However 'your' lot don't really care any more even when decisions are overturned to get the correct call.

Your LED light/ball hitting the net thing is just shite. Never seen that happen and always seen goals celebrated as they're scored.

Also, you'd be the first to moan about shit officials getting decisions wrong and having absolute howlers. You can't just excuse football games for having shit referees. The game doesn't evolve and improve like that. 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

When and where is that 5% figure from?

Our 'agenda' isn't exactly bad considering some big decisions are being overturned for correct ones. It goes back to a conversation several weeks ago - 'we' are happy to accept VAR has its faults and there have been some very contentious/controversial calls still. However 'your' lot don't really care any more even when decisions are overturned to get the correct call.

Your LED light/ball hitting the net thing is just shite. Never seen that happen and always seen goals celebrated as they're scored.

Also, you'd be the first to moan about shit officials getting decisions wrong and having absolute howlers. You can't just excuse football games for having shit referees. The game doesn't evolve and improve like that. 

So it's OK for referees to have absolute howlers but with a machine?

Also, just because goals are celebrated when the decision is made, doesn't mean we're OK with it. We rather have it be spontaneous. Stupid to have us wait for every single goal. 

• Subscriber
20 minutes ago, Lucas said:

No dig intended here but is there an arguement to suggest Liverpool freeze when they go to Old Trafford? 

No, I don't think so, maybe when SAF was in charge but rarely, OT was once a fortress the same at Anfield but nowadays the fear factor has gone out of visiting the likes of OT and Anfield, scoring a goal at the Stretford end the same as scoring a goal at the old Kop end was magic and still is.  

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Grizzly21 said:

So it's OK for referees to have absolute howlers but with a machine?

Also, just because goals are celebrated when the decision is made, doesn't mean we're OK with it. We rather have it be spontaneous. Stupid to have us wait for every single goal. 

But sometimes absolute howlers have been avoided because of 'machine' (it's actually another human at the end of that machine, but oh well).

I mean goals being celebrated when the ball hits the net. As normal. I've yet to see a goal not be celebrated beause they know a VAR check is coming. Goals are still celebrated on pure instinct and emotion. 

Always admitted checks could be quicker (for example when players are celebrating and not delayed til players in position to kick-off). Having said that, I've seen goals be given and checks are done instantaneously and game ready to go on like usual. Saying having to 'wait for every single goal' is exaggeration just to amplify your non-truth.

Man utds first goal shouldn't have stood. Maybe Liverpool were unlucky there. How the game would have penned out if the goal had been disaload we will never know.

1 minute ago, Stan said:

I've yet to see a goal not be celebrated beause they know a VAR check is coming. Goals are still celebrated on pure instinct and emotion. 

I've seen it plenty.

I didn't celebrate my goals against Chile in the Copa America because I thought they were perhaps a milimetre offside they would check it, as just one example.

And I don't care about correct decisions because I watch football for the spectacle, not the rules.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Grizzly21 said:

I've seen it plenty.

I didn't celebrate my goals against Chile in the Copa America because I thought they were perhaps a milimetre offside they would check it, as just one example.

And I don't care about correct decisions because I watch football for the spectacle, not the rules.

The rules come with the spectacle so that's just a very odd statement to make.

Just now, Stan said:

The rules come with the spectacle so that's just a very odd statement to make.

No, its not.

I didn't follow football because I was a fan of the handball rule, or because I think its fair to have players behind the defensive line. I enjoy it because its fun to watch, and has a vast network of footballers and professional leagues. I don't follow it because decisions are right or wrong.

@Grizzly21 @Stan the 5 percent stat is a load of bollocks. First of all  it's actually contentious. Many people debate it. Also even if it is true it has actually improved the  key decisions more than that. Most decisions aren't checked so it makes it seem as if var isn't improving decisions as much as it is. Brian you are entitled to your opinion but you are so against VAR it means you are not looking at it logically and it's quite easy to see from an outsider how bad your arguments are. You make some very good points on here but with var your arguments aren't very good. I don't know of anyone who would not celebrate a goal because they were worried it may get ruled out. It seems to be something you are doing that no one else does.

3 hours ago, Burning Gold said:

Thought we were poor overall today despite how much ball we had. Toothless in attack and I think ultimately Origi isn't good enough to be first reserve for the whole front 3, but it's not all on him. Can't figure out why we were crossing from deep so much with Firmino and Mane, who (I'm not looking it up) can't average more than 6ft between them against essentially 3 CBs. Mane's good in the air for his height, but he has to get free to win a header, and that wasn't happening at all today.

On the VAR stuff: I don't think it's a foul on Orig - he's felt the contact and gone down, which will never be a foul for me. That said, it is a foul Manchester United were getting every time. Atkinson should've given it, but I can definitely see why VAR didn't.

Then, I suspect Mane's hand (although accidental) did help him control the ball, so again I'm honestly fine with it. Atkinson was an absolute disgrace today, but I'm not sure what you want VAR to do. I'm still yet to witness a goal not being celebrated, by the way. Really feels like the anti-VAR lot have decided on this criticism in advance and are now just refusing to let it go

Agree on origi. We are so thin in attack for a team that's looking to compete for honours in multiple tournaments. I hope we make a move in January. 

3 hours ago, Stan said:

Agreed. It'll take nothing to convince them. Minds are already made up.

Today I genuinely swung slightly on this issue from having been a defender the whole time. It would have been ridiculous to overrule the first goal because of a foul at the other end before, even a foul that was more clear cut than today's. Too much time had passed from the original incident.

The third goal, we were waiting at the centre circle and noone knew why... FFS.

I don't oppose VAR but I think it needs some major changes to be improved. For starters limiting the scope of its use more than at present.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived