talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Man Utd 1-1 Liverpool - Sunday 20th October, 2019

football forum

5 hours ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

He slipped and still prevented Rashford from scoring in that picture on the left xD

Ya know, I’ve heard numerous United fans say that was their best performance all season. A match where they had 2 shots on target and didn’t win the game at home. Great stuff, keep it up!

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

He slipped and still prevented Rashford from scoring in that picture on the left xD

Ya know, I’ve heard numerous United fans say that was their best performance all season. A match where they had 2 shots on target and didn’t win the game at home. Great stuff, keep it up!

We’ve played shite this year, had a couple of good games. We’ve played far better than that though, so not sure what they’ve been watching.

1 minute ago, DeadLinesman said:

We’ve played shite this year, had a couple of good games. We’ve played far better than that though, so not sure what they’ve been watching.

Could just be people talking shite as they’ve played a rival and want to big up their performance. Which is probably exactly what it was, but either way I’ll still mock em

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Could just be people talking shite as they’ve played a rival and want to big up their performance. Which is probably exactly what it was, but either way I’ll still mock em

I think they put effort in, it just definitely wasn’t as well as we have played. People will try and make out it was bigger than it was though simply due to the fixture.

Just now, DeadLinesman said:

I think they put effort in, it just definitely wasn’t as well as we have played. People will try and make out it was bigger than it was though simply due to the fixture.

Tbf though I don’t think I’ve ever seen a United side not put effort in against us at Old Trafford. Even in the 4-1 win we had, wearing the grey kits which makes us invisible to Mancs according to Fergie, you still started brightly and made loads of chances.

It's great that people celebrate things like that with Van Dijk. Just shows how great he is. Like when Pepe was the first to dribble passed him in how ever many games it was. It came to fuck all but you still had Arsenal fans creaming themselves

I don't even think you have to be a match going fan to have some of the emotion sucked out because of VAR. When Lallana's goal was reviewed, I was convinced it'd get taken back for some bullshit reason, so my celebrations were muted. Obviously I was happy when it was confirmed and there was no bullshit reason to take the goal away, but it put a damper on things.

But that's not even my biggest issue with VAR - I think the ref should be allowed to look at the video replay and decide for himself if he would have made the call differently. As it stands right now, most reviews outside the box are essentially just rubber stamps on whatever a referee did - and the referee has no say in whether they made the right decision or not. And it takes away from the "VAR makes referees peasants" mentality - because the referee would still be having a say on how he decided.

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Stan said:

'match-going fan'. 

That old phrase. As if you can only be a fan of VAR if you don't go to a game :/

Weird post

VAR doesn’t have anywhere near the same impact on someone watching on TV. That’s partly the point he was making and I fully agree with him. 

It ruins the complete pinnacle of the match day experience which is celebrating a goal - I certainly have doubts now when we score. Especially when you have farcical decisions like our disallowed goal at Leicester

Youve just put words in my mouth with that sentence. Strange. You can be a fan of it sure but pretty certain it’s a minority of people that attend games that actually like it. 

• Subscriber
On 21/10/2019 at 18:48, Stan said:

I agree but I can see why it's like that.

It prevents footballers just smashing the ball at defenders and almost aiming for their arms knowing they might not be able to get it anywhere else. Whereas you're unlikely to get attackers doing that when they're actually aiming for goal in the attacking penalty area. So it's right in that sense that defenders will get that advantage as opposed to conceding a penalty even if their arms are by their side.

Surely though with VAR in place they could decide whether or not that's been done deliberately having watched it back.

4 hours ago, Dan said:

Surely though with VAR in place they could decide whether or not that's been done deliberately having watched it back.

Not with the standard of review they’re using currently. “Clear and obvious” and all means that in situations where VAR would be useful, it’s just a rubber stamp the ref’s decision.

The ref should decide if the replay changes his mind or not. Not a separate official. It keeps the refs accountable, but it also means refs are still in control of their “mistakes”

Archived