talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Man Utd 1-1 Liverpool - Sunday 20th October, 2019

football forum

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Tell you what TAA doesn't forget though. Holding the Champions League trophy aloft. Rashford ever done that? 

I'm sure he'll take a rinsing by Rashford in one game each season if it meant he can win more European trophies. He'll win more than Utd will in the next 5/6 years that's for sure. 

Both players are homegrown youth products of their respective clubs and this type of games is what they grew up dreaming off. I'm sure TAA doesnt care how satisfying a CL trophy is during this match and beating the main rivals at their place is way more important... maybe it's just a Mexico and south america thing,  but winning the league trophy is always the main goal but doing your best to not lose against the main rivals (more so a homegrown youngster) is up there as well. Even though I'm far from mexico, the emotions that come from the derby game versus pumas makes it a win or win type of game for both fans and LOCAL players as the youngsters grew up playing and developing a mutual hate for the other club... I dont think riquelme or Palermo would agree with that comment (not necessarily homegrown)  but the bond and love for boca juniors is what gave them the edge over other players n would always go out to win versus rIber plate... as much as u been following the sport and have a bond with your local club, I would of Never guessed you would make such claim. 

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Stan said:

Tell you what TAA doesn't forget though. Holding the Champions League trophy aloft. Rashford ever done that? 

Neither does David May, or Wes Brown, or Johnathon Greening with the Premier League. Gerrard ever done that? That’s literally how stupid the trophy argument always is 😂

• Administrator
37 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Neither does David May, or Wes Brown, or Johnathon Greening with the Premier League. Gerrard ever done that? That’s literally how stupid the trophy argument always is 😂

Take away that question and the context in reply to his point though! TAA doesn't give a shit about one game where Rashford got the better of him in the big picture. 

• Administrator
59 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Both players are homegrown youth products of their respective clubs and this type of games is what they grew up dreaming off. I'm sure TAA doesnt care how satisfying a CL trophy is during this match and beating the main rivals at their place is way more important... maybe it's just a Mexico and south america thing,  but winning the league trophy is always the main goal but doing your best to not lose against the main rivals (more so a homegrown youngster) is up there as well. Even though I'm far from mexico, the emotions that come from the derby game versus pumas makes it a win or win type of game for both fans and LOCAL players as the youngsters grew up playing and developing a mutual hate for the other club... I dont think riquelme or Palermo would agree with that comment (not necessarily homegrown)  but the bond and love for boca juniors is what gave them the edge over other players n would always go out to win versus rIber plate... as much as u been following the sport and have a bond with your local club, I would of Never guessed you would make such claim. 

You've taken a bit far there though. TAA went on to win the biggest trophy in club football. Obviously I'd expect him to want to win a game against the biggest rivals, but I'm sure that he didn't dwell on it afterwards for too long. 

It's always sickening to lose a game, more so against rivals. But you make it sound as if that Rashford performance ended TAA's career. 

11 minutes ago, Stan said:

Take away that question and the context in reply to his point though! TAA doesn't give a shit about one game where Rashford got the better of him in the big picture. 

If he’s a professional footballer with any pride, then he should. You can’t say, “oh I got rinsed, but it’s ok because I won the European cup months later”. That makes no sense whatsoever, especially as they weren’t even playing United in the final of that competition. That’s the only context. He should take something from it and make sure it never happens again.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

If he’s a professional footballer with any pride, then he should. You can’t say, “oh I got rinsed, but it’s ok because I won the European cup months later”. That makes no sense whatsoever, especially as they weren’t even playing United in the final of that competition. That’s the only context. He should take something from it and make sure it never happens again.

Take it back to what Teso said:

TAA hasn't forgotten how Rashford exposed him as the average defender he is

How does Teso know that? Has TAA suffered badly? Has his short career gone backwards? I'd say not. I'd say he's still a fantastic player but from when Teso says the above, it makes it sound like TAA is still feeling the effects of one game when that's not the case. 

Just now, The Artful Dodger said:

If anything it's Rashford's career has stalled since that game. He seemed set to burst onto the world stage right then.

He's a weird case. I agree he has stagnated when I've recently seen him compared to the past, but he's gotten further than Januzaj and Wilson though.

5 minutes ago, Stan said:

Take it back to what Teso said:

TAA hasn't forgotten how Rashford exposed him as the average defender he is

How does Teso know that? Has TAA suffered badly? Has his short career gone backwards? I'd say not. I'd say he's still a fantastic player but from when Teso says the above, it makes it sound like TAA is still feeling the effects of one game when that's not the case. 

It’s Teso ffs. He’s saying that for effect. He obviously didn’t end TAA’s career. We all know that. However, you’d want to think getting rinsed by such an underachiever, he’d want to learn from it and make sure it never happens again. Not say, oh well I won an entirely different competition so it was ok. That was my point.

1 minute ago, Grizzly21 said:

He's a weird case. I agree he has stagnated when I've recently seen him compared to the past, but he's gotten further than Januzaj and Wilson though.

Can’t even compare him and Wilson tbh. He’s been a stalwart of the team for 3 years now. Wilson barely got a game.

2 minutes ago, Grizzly21 said:

Well he's clearly better than both those players. I thought he might be a new Michael Owen type when he first came through but he doesn't seem to like the centre forward role. Obviously all the carnage at Manchester United isn't helping but he's hardly stood out.

Just now, DeadLinesman said:

Can’t even compare him and Wilson tbh. He’s been a stalwart of the team for 3 years now. Wilson barely got a game.

Well all 3 had stellar debuts. Rashford actually progressed since then. 

I still rate him and think he'll have a good career but things need to change at the club in general because many players are being held back.

Trent’s in the Guinness Book of World Records. Rashford is still just some young manc twat who’s using that one time he skinned Trent as a career highlight. Probably because he’s a United player in the Woodward era, so it likely is a career highlight

14 hours ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Its liverpool's title to lose... if that doesn't answer the question I dont know what does 

Fair enough mate. But you did also say it was to early to say so you can understand my confusion ;)

2 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

I've never understood the trophy arguement. There are players no where near the level of Gerrard who have won the League. Football is a team sport. Shearer never won anything at Newcastle doesn't mean he wasn't a world class player.

6 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Trent’s in the Guinness Book of World Records. Rashford is still just some young manc twat who’s using that one time he skinned Trent as a career highlight. Probably because he’s a United player in the Woodward era, so it likely is a career highlight

For assists... there is no denying his effectiveness going forward but I'm still not sold on him being a solid defender. AWB may not be as good going forward but he is always in good position to make a tackle. Real Madrid targeted TAA time after time and spurs didnt, besides the experience and the trophy, I dont see much improvement defensively. They are good enough to get away with it but not sainst a well coached team like mourinho's with Scott M and Matic in the midfield with young and Valencia also starting. Defend like hell and counterattack TAA's side is the only way man utd has a chance at three points. 

He’s been putting in top defensive performances in for over a year while also being great going forward. Personally I think you just don’t like him so you’ve not cared to notice his improvement - but the lad has improved a lot since his debut (and his debut wasn’t bad at all). He’s improved a lot since his first champions league final as well.

I’ve said it before on here, Wan Bissaka for his age is a great traditional fullback, Trent for his age is a wonderful modern fullback. They’ll shine brighter in the right system - Clyne was a more traditional fullback and once Trent broke through there was no looking back in our system.

I agree that your best chance is to defend deep and look to hit us where we’ll have left open space on the counter - and you’re right, that’ll be our fullback areas. But that’s not just Trent - it includes Andy too. It’s where the most space will be to attack into if we have 60% possession or more in the match - because both fullbacks will have bombed on.

And our best chance will be to keep the ball and keep your back 4 under constant pressure. Last season at Old Trafford was one of our worst league performances though - so we’ll have to see a big improvement if we’re going to get the 3 points.

It’s one of those matches where form doesn’t matter - the pure hatred in the air at the stadium gets to players on both sides.

• Subscriber

Not this again.

As for the game. Liverpool should win 3-0, maybe more.

Really with Spurs dropping points again today and United bound to be embarrassed by Liverpool tomorrow, it seems like the perfect time for all parties for Man Utd to ditch Ole and go for Poch. Less of a loss to Spurs now than it would have been for a while, new surroundings for Poch who has probably peaked down there with the CL final run, and United would actually have a manager who has shown he can take a club forward over a number of years.

That would be the sensible route, but factor in Levy's stubbornness and Woodward and United's incompetence along with Old Trafford not looking a very appealing destination right now either, I doubt it'll happen.

8 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

The only thing that gives me hope is that I have seen some of the worst Liverpool teams come to Old Trafford and get a result. Surely we should be able to do the same.

One thing we can guarantee from this fixture, for a relative neutral, is that it will be a absymsal game. By the end of the game nobody but the fans of either side will care. I like to think you both do it deliberately to WUM Sky.

5 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

One thing we can guarantee from this fixture, for a relative neutral, is that it will be a absymsal game. By the end of the game nobody but the fans of either side will care. I like to think you both do it deliberately to WUM Sky.

Totally agree. I’ve actually missed a fair few of these over the past few years just because they’re usually dull affairs or we get twatted. It’s not enjoyable either way.

5 hours ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

For assists... there is no denying his effectiveness going forward but I'm still not sold on him being a solid defender. AWB may not be as good going forward but he is always in good position to make a tackle. Real Madrid targeted TAA time after time and spurs didnt, besides the experience and the trophy, I dont see much improvement defensively. They are good enough to get away with it but not sainst a well coached team like mourinho's with Scott M and Matic in the midfield with young and Valencia also starting. Defend like hell and counterattack TAA's side is the only way man utd has a chance at three points. 

Were you sold on Marcelo being a solid defender? Many continued to lob that criticism his way throughout his career but he's still going down as one of the greats. Trent is not Marcelo obviously but I don't regard him as a defensive liability, although don't consider him as defensively strong as Robertson at the moment who's more well rounded.... Trent's a defender for whom attack is always likely to be his greatest strength.

• The title was changed to Man Utd 1-1 Liverpool - Sunday 20th October, 2019
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived