Chelsea vs Newcastle
Leicester vs Burnley
Tottenham vs Watford
Wolves vs Southampton

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Burnley are weird. I look at their record and think they're going to be a massive banana skin for us but they're frequently poor against us. We went away there in March, spent pretty much the entire game with ten men and won it.

You can't overlook their record in 2019. It's really impressive.

If we are serious about Europe though we need to be winning this kind of game. Certainly if we fancy ourselves for the top four.

• Administrator
42 minutes ago, Dan said:

Burnley are weird. I look at their record and think they're going to be a massive banana skin for us but they're frequently poor against us. We went away there in March, spent pretty much the entire game with ten men and won it.

You can't overlook their record in 2019. It's really impressive.

If we are serious about Europe though we need to be winning this kind of game. Certainly if we fancy ourselves for the top four.

Reckon if we do win, it'll be narrow.

They're poor in terms of results against us but it's always a difficult game for the way Dyche sets up. They're usually very well organised defensively and tough to break down.

Praet's been playing very well for us so I wonder if Rodgers will throw Maddison back in after his absence. 

Hope Maddison doesn't get shifted out on the wing again though if he does play. Think Barnes & Perez will play. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Stan said:

Reckon if we do win, it'll be narrow.

They're poor in terms of results against us but it's always a difficult game for the way Dyche sets up. They're usually very well organised defensively and tough to break down.

Praet's been playing very well for us so I wonder if Rodgers will throw Maddison back in after his absence. 

Hope Maddison doesn't get shifted out on the wing again though if he does play. Think Barnes & Perez will play. 

Praet's emergence is a bit of a deal with the devil. He's a very good player but we're now so much better in midfield than out wide that Rodgers actually feels the need to cram them in even out of position. Ndidi is a sure starter no matter what system played (he's really impressed me this season actually), Tielemans is obviously quality and after paying that much we're not going to consign him to the bench, Maddison is also obviously quality, and now Praet's come in and looks as good as all of them. It's a real headache but I think his solution totally nullifies us going forward.

Someone broke down the attacking record with Maddison in the middle against out wide and the results were so substantially one sided in favour of him in the middle that it just perplexes me that he could possibly put him out wide.

Maddison is a better player than Harvey Barnes, but Barnes is better at playing out wide than Maddison is. Barnes is for me so far a steady player, not a star, but steady, worth persisting with. His movement and natural inclination to directly attack opens up spaces for the rest of the team. Maddison doesn't make those same runs and therefore hinders players like Tielemans who have less attacking options to pick out going forward.

I think we'll win because surely he'll see sense. I'd just be intrigued to know who misses out.

Thought I’d watch villa (always had a soft spot for them) and Brighton (Aussie lads) but now I’m not interested after Aaron Mooy’s Red card. He’s worked hard to get into the line up and gets an incredibly soft red. One yellow for moving the ball half a yard then a second for trying to pull out of a tackle. Fuck sake 

4 minutes ago, Rick said:

Spurs awarded late equaliser by the ref, but the VAR said no goal? Am I getting that right? if so, then that’s a shit show. 

The screen said "no goal" but apparently that was a mistake because the video ref said the goal was okay.

9 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Easily MOTM

Immense second half performance. Won us the game 

This year he's also improved a lot defensively, even if he can be a bit reckless at times with challenges, gives away a lot of those technical fouls which given his position on the pitch it isn't surprising he's one yellow away from a suspension. 

As I said somewhere on here the other day, he's been decent for us since signing but I think given what he's capable of he can be more consistent I think. Mind you he was immense today, absolute lesson on moving the ball, I haven't seen a player of his mould perform that type role at Stamford Bridge as well as he did today in a long time.

• Administrator

Tough game as expected. 

Burnley set up fairly deep with Wood and Rodriguez up top. Always gonna be difficult to break a side like that down but when you have a positive manager in charge you end up getting something out of it. With Puel that game gets lost 1-0. They tried to do a job on Maddison and Tielemans to mark them out the game but their movement in and around the box and going searching for the ball worked in our favour. 

Wood was brilliant aerially. Even Soyuncu and Evans struggled at times. His goal was well placed. Vardy's header just as good I'd say. Leapt so high. 

We created a few more clear cut chances than them and so I'd say we deserved to win, just about purely that we looked to do so straight from the start as opposed to playing defensively like Burnley. 

Think we were fortunate to get their 2nd goal ruled out by VAR. Didn't really see it too well on the screen but think Wood tripped Evans as Evans went to clear it off the line. 

Always makes me laugh how hypocritical Dyche and his players are. From the first moments they were taking stupidly long with goalkicks and throw ins and obviously longer after they scored. Then when we return the favour going 2-1 up its all arms up in the air moaning to the ref xD

2nd in the league. Can't complain at another 3 points. Building a little bit of a gap to further down the table. 

50 minutes ago, Stan said:

Tough game as expected. 

Burnley set up fairly deep with Wood and Rodriguez up top. Always gonna be difficult to break a side like that down but when you have a positive manager in charge you end up getting something out of it. With Puel that game gets lost 1-0. They tried to do a job on Maddison and Tielemans to mark them out the game but their movement in and around the box and going searching for the ball worked in our favour. 

Wood was brilliant aerially. Even Soyuncu and Evans struggled at times. His goal was well placed. Vardy's header just as good I'd say. Leapt so high. 

We created a few more clear cut chances than them and so I'd say we deserved to win, just about purely that we looked to do so straight from the start as opposed to playing defensively like Burnley. 

Think we were fortunate to get their 2nd goal ruled out by VAR. Didn't really see it too well on the screen but think Wood tripped Evans as Evans went to clear it off the line. 

Always makes me laugh how hypocritical Dyche and his players are. From the first moments they were taking stupidly long with goalkicks and throw ins and obviously longer after they scored. Then when we return the favour going 2-1 up its all arms up in the air moaning to the ref xD

2nd in the league. Can't complain at another 3 points. Building a little bit of a gap to further down the table. 

They are the worst culprits in the league for that without a doubt. It's a dirty tactic in the way in which they do it as they do it from minute one and it can really be effective at breaking the game up. Just have to not let it get the better of you as that is what they want.

Just saw the Tottenham equaliser. Disaster from Foster but it was definitely hand ball from Dele Alli. And Watford definitely should've had a penalty, Vertonghen quite obviously lifted his leg to trip Deulofeu. Whoever the video ref was had a mare and should not be in this position again. Can't claim he didn't see it clearly.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived