talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

What Was The Lowest Period In Your Life?

football forum

• Subscriber

Everybody has a different event or incident which relates to this thread. I think splitting from my first GF was really tough for a few months. Due to it being the first time after 3 years. Was something new I had to deal with, but once you're over it the feeling is good.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Finding out my mother had cancer. The myriads of questions that start popping up in your head about managing finances, making sure you're around because she won't be able to get housework done (i live in a different state) and then the biggest one of them all which is wondering with every scan whether its getting worse or better. Thankfully its gotten a lot better but the news was hard to take when I found out. I think it was especially harder since they're retired and none of us live at home so its a bigger worry not having someone around that you know can take care of them. 

• The title was changed to What Was The Lowest Period In Your Life?

There was a time in the middle of high school where for a couple of years I had basically no real friends, I was obese, and had close to no social life. Looking back it's quite scary to think how isolated I was.

My interests like reading and playing video games were naturally quite solitary anyway. On top of that I didn't enjoy being around people much, and new social experiences made me that nervous that I didn't start to realise the problem until it was almost too late. Thankfully I came out my shell and made a good group of friends, with puberty I got tall and thinned-out, and had a great social life for the rest of high school. 

I also had a tough time when I broke up with my first long-term gf about 7 months ago, and then had two relatives diagnosed as terminally ill in the weeks after. I'm still kinda dealing with it, but it has gotten better.

• Administrator

Probably my grandparents dying. One has died in 2005, 2010 and 2015. Internally, I dread next year...

Was quite close to all of them as well for different reasons. Still close to the one that remains alive but in past couple of years she's become even more frail at 92, as expected mind. Mentally she's still sound but obviously physically it eventually takes its toll. 

11 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Finding out my mother had cancer. The myriads of questions that start popping up in your head about managing finances, making sure you're around because she won't be able to get housework done (i live in a different state) and then the biggest one of them all which is wondering with every scan whether its getting worse or better. Thankfully its gotten a lot better but the news was hard to take when I found out. I think it was especially harder since they're retired and none of us live at home so its a bigger worry not having someone around that you know can take care of them. 

This is one of my biggest fears for my parents and probably the same for anyone my age (or similar, late 20s/early 30s). 

It scares me that they may get a disease or illness that debilitates them. Especially my dad, I think. Going to the football is one of the best things we do together. Hate to talk about what it may be like in future not making that trip up to Leicester and watching the game with him. 

February this year.

My 3 year old son had a flu bug and got really sick and ended up in intensive care with encephalitis which is a brain related condition. He was terribly sick and couldn't walk, talk or swallow. Machines were doing everything.

In the first few days in hospital it was unclear what level of recovery he'd make and it was my fault it had taken so long for us to bring him into the hospital in the first place... If I hadn't had such a "he'll be fine" attitude we could have got there two days earlier and they may have been able to lessen the swelling in the brain earlier and reduce the damage....

At that point, the thought that my most perfect little guy, the centre of my universe, might never walk or talk again and it was all my fault... By far my lowest moment. It put many previous low moments of my life of totally different nature's in complete perspective. 

Thankfully he's made a complete and full recovery and you'd never know, but it took 3 weeks in hospital and 3 months of outpatient physiotherapy to rebuild his coordination and strength....

On 19/10/2019 at 00:54, Dr. Gonzo said:

I used to have a fairly bad drug problem. So probably uni.

The thing is, I wouldn't hammer drugs like I used to anymore, couldn't think of anything worse, although I don't regret any of it. Some of the best days of your life really.

If you've ever seen Human traffic before(the English film, not that American one with the same name, which is completely unrelated), that was literally my life every weekend for quite a few years. Great times though. High rather than low periods.

I'd say the lowest points were losing Grandparents and mates over the years, especially when you consider how young some of these lads have actually passed away.

Easy one for me. My cousin committed suicide when I was 21. 

I'd just come back from Australia on a Wednesday, jet lagged to fuck.

My aunt phoned Thursday to say my cousin was missing for over 24 hours.

He was then reported missing in the local paper by Friday. No one had a clue where he was.

We got a tip that they found his car in the New Forest late on Friday night albeit found empty, and the Police organised a search party for early Saturday morning where volunteers were welcome.

Weird, weird feeling. Was about 6 different groups of us trying to cover so much area of the forest.

And sods law, a passer by walking his dog identified a body literally right near where me and my old man's party were looking. We were about two mins away heading towards that area.

I couldn't look to be honest but your gut just knows that's game over. Obviously it was him and it was pretty horrible. Never experienced anything like that before.

Never knew he was unhappy either so it felt such a shock. Just come back from travelling for a month and come back to that. And the worst thing was knowing I wasn't around to talk if he had an issue or meet for a beer or frame of snooker as we usually did because I'd been away.

Last memory was going out for a family meal with him there before I went. He was perfectly fine. Appearances obviously can be deceiving.

Sorry for your loss fella.  Grief is fucking horrible, but we'll all be hit by it over time.  Got a double whammy myself at the end of 1999 and start of 2001.  20 years on, still hurts, but you just get on with things.  Take time to remember when you have too, but life goes on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Worst for me was my second year of teaching across. Basically all the horror stories you've ever heard about teacher workload were me in that year, spending 3 hours marking in different colours each night, dealing with mental behaviour during lessons and being put under constant pressure by those above me in the food chain to sort it out. I was living alone as well and all my family still lived in the Isle of Man. Knocked my mental health for six.

I was ready to quit teaching then, I hadn't my notice in with the intention of moving back to the Isle of Man before there was even a job. Fortunately when one came up I went for it and got it and things have been peachy since. Now live with three mates and see my family at least once a week, half an hour's drive away. Solid social life from both work and my pre-existing local friends too.

The only thing I'd say is that if you're struggling like I was, you should confront it. I didn't and I got away with it because I didn't admit to myself how unhappy I was. I look back now and realise I was definitely suffering from depression and I'm lucky that a change of circumstances sorted me out. Not everyone has that luxury and if had gone on much longer I could have found myself in a very dark place.

Archived