talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Board & Card Games

football forum

• Subscriber

Anyone's a fan? Do you and people you know still play them?

I know we have quite a few people on here who like Chess. Probably quite a few others who like it and other classic games as well. Draughts? Go? Backgammon? One of the numerous Chess variations?

Then there's a whole world of themed board games; from the classics like Monopoly, Risk, Diplomacy or Axis & Allies to word games like Scrabble to the newer strategy ones like The Settlers of Catan or Carcassonne. 

What are your favourites? 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Monopoly, candy land, dominoes, and checkers.

Is dominoes a board game? 

My wife loves Monopoly, but it drives me nuts as it can go on forever....

4 minutes ago, nudge said:

Never even heard of Candy Land! :o 

Seriously? Jesus, it's massive here in the States, and has been for maybe....30 years. 

I love board games, and wife and I have a date night pretty regularly after the kid goes to bed where we play some games and have some drinks. 

My favorite board games are chess, Ticket to Ride, Catan, Risk, Scrabble, and Munchkin, with the first 3 being my favorites by far. 

...And I'll follow up on the Ticket to Ride. Since their are different versions out there, we have a group of couples, that each have a different 'area', so that the board and strategy changes depending on whose house you are playing at. 

Wife and I have the German edition. 

pic3506961.jpg

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Eco said:

Is dominoes a board game? 

My wife loves Monopoly, but it drives me nuts as it can go on forever....

Seriously? Jesus, it's massive here in the States, and has been for maybe....30 years. 

I love board games, and wife and I have a date night pretty regularly after the kid goes to bed where we play some games and have some drinks. 

My favorite board games are chess, Ticket to Ride, Catan, Risk, Scrabble, and Munchkin, with the first 3 being my favorites by far. 

Dominoes is ok; might not be board game but a tabletop game nevertheless.

Yeah I think Candy Land is an American game... 

Do you play any Chess variants? I learned to play Shogi and Xiangqi at work some six years ago and then learned to play Makruk/Ouk in Asia from the construction workers who were camping near my house for months. Good stuff; I'm trying to get better in all of them.

As for themed board games, I love Catan, Carcassonne, Puerto Rico the most. 

7 minutes ago, nudge said:

Do you play any Chess variants? I learned to play Shogi and Xiangqi at work some six years ago and then learned to play Makruk/Ouk in Asia from the construction workers who were camping near my house for months. Good stuff; I'm trying to get better in all of them.

I play Fischer960, but that's it. I learned Go a while ago, but don't play it anymore. 

7 minutes ago, nudge said:

As for themed board games, I love Catan, Carcassonne, Puerto Rico the most. 

I bought the GoT edition....waste of money it is. We just play it as if it were the regular Catan. 

I fucking love board games tbh.

Memoir 44 is a really underrated one - but it's great, it's a WW2 game where you can set up the board for various different battles - one player is the allied commander, one player is the axis commander. It's a lot of fun.

Catan & Puerto Rico are classics. Ticket to Ride is another great game, I don't think I could give a good explanation of how to play - when my wife showed me how to play it took me watching a YouTube video like 4 times to figure it out and even still when we play, she has to help me out because I always forget the rules.

Pandemic's another good one. That's one where you're actually working with the other players to develop cures to 4 diseases running rampant. 

I love many, draughts, monopoly, risk, battleships, etc, but outside of draughts, and risk which i play online never had much chance to play others as none of my friends thorough the years had an interest in them and i'm an only child whose cousins did not favour them neither, so no luck. It's sad, really. xD

• Subscriber

Like Dr. Gonzo too many to mention so heres a few ive played recently (this year). We have a group of friends who get together once every two weeks to either try out or just play games we haven't in a while (alcohol included of course).

• Exploding Kittens (its a card game but its akin to board-game strategy)
  • Catan
  • Zombicide
  • Gloomhaven
  • Pandemic / Legacy Ed. (Excellent co-op game and great in a party of 3 or more)
  • King of Tokyo (highly recommended party game. Its fast and lots of fun)
  • Blood Rage 
  • Scythe
  • Terraforming Mars
  • Star Wars: Rebellion

Got a lot more I want to see myself personally but its also finding the time to play them and more importantly, finding people to play them with. I enjoy Draughts on a nice rainy day as its one of those don't think too much games and my Go playing is about as good as a 5 year old Chinese kid who would probably kick my ass at it.

Also, thanks to OP for starting the thread I wanted to do this a while back just never got around to it.

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Catan & Puerto Rico are classics. 

Pandemic's another good one. That's one where you're actually working with the other players to develop cures to 4 diseases running rampant. 

I have had people scream and fight over Catan its unreal how competitive they get.

Pandemic is officially banned in the house till 2020 as there have been "decisions" that some people didn't find favorable. Which is okay really just gives us all more time to find more board games we like.

3 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Like Dr. Gonzo too many to mention so heres a few ive played recently (this year). We have a group of friends who get together once every two weeks to either try out or just play games we haven't in a while (alcohol included of course).

• Catan
  • Zombicide
  • Gloomhaven
  • Pandemic / Legacy Ed. (Excellent co-op game and great in a party of 3 or more)
  • Blood Rage 
  • Scythe
  • Terraforming Mars

Got a lot more I want to see myself personally but its also finding the time to play them and more importantly, finding people to play them with. I enjoy Draughts on a nice rainy day as its one of those don't think too much games and my Go playing is about as good as a 5 year old Chinese kid who would probably kick my ass at it.

Also, thanks to OP for starting the thread I wanted to do this a while back just never got around to it.

I have actually played exploiting kittens before... was too high and drunk to actually enjoy it but its definitely a card game worth the time. 

7 hours ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Forgot Snakes and ladders and guess who? 

My son is just getting into board games. He loves snakes and ladders, guess who, connect 4 and Dino Bingo.

I play these games often, but I'm rarely allowed to win, unless we're playing two games so he can immediately square the ledger by winning the next one...

An slowly teaching him to lose with grace.

I've recently played a game of thrones themed Risk game which I really enjoyed once I came to understand it.

Jigsaw puzzles are also quite satisfying.

• Administrator

Fucking love board games @nudge! Like to play them all year round when possible especially when all family is together.

Monopoly, Scrabble, Risk, Ludo, Ticket to Ride (only played US version). If battleships counts then that too. 

And I love carrom board - yes it does count! Most always come out around Christmas time especially. 

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Forgot Snakes and ladders and guess who? 

I love snakes & ladders and Ludo, whenever wee Kaiden is here we sit down and play these games with him (photos), he loves Junior Monopoly too, the trouble with snakes & ladders with wee Kaiden depending what mood he is in he will use the tail of the snake to climb up the board just like the ladder. xD

20191019_090116.jpg.b0e8367b58b8226c377d9cb423677d2c.jpg

20191019_090339.jpg.bf3cbb0cdf2f68f5917c06f2a05c5a1c.jpg

• Subscriber

Scrabble is another good board game, me and the wife used to go around my mates house years ago for a wee visit and we would all play cards or scrabble, the problem was my mates wife would cheat at scrabble and he would always make sure he had a dictionary beside him because she would make up words we never heard of. xD 

• Subscriber
11 hours ago, nudge said:

Draughts?

Another game I love and my dear departed dad taught me how to play that also dominoes, you go to a lot of local clubs & pubs around here and you see people playing it with a pint of beer or glass of whatever besides them. 

5 hours ago, Stan said:

Fucking love board games @nudge! Like to play them all year round when possible especially when all family is together.

Monopoly, Scrabble, Risk, Ludo, Ticket to Ride (only played US version). If battleships counts then that too. 

And I love carrom board - yes it does count! Most always come out around Christmas time especially. 

Calm down 

• Subscriber
14 hours ago, Berserker said:

I love many, draughts, monopoly, risk, battleships, etc, but outside of draughts, and risk which i play online never had much chance to play others as none of my friends thorough the years had an interest in them and i'm an only child whose cousins did not favour them neither, so no luck. It's sad, really. xD

That's pretty much my current situation. We used to have a nice group of friends some 10 years ago and we used to gather together every two weeks or so for a game evening with some beer etc.; used to be class. But now that everyone's moved somewhere else I don't have anyone to play with anymore. I even researched board games that can be played solo but to be fair that would be even sadder xD 

11 hours ago, Mel81x said:

• Catan
  • Zombicide
  • Gloomhaven
  • Blood Rage 
  • Scythe
  • Terraforming Mars

Ha I knew you're a board game geek :D 

I'd love to give Star Wars: Rebellion a go. Looks fantastic. 

How's Terraforming Mars? I played the video game and liked it; wonder how the board game is. 

----------------------

Those of you who like Catan should also try Carcassonne if you haven't yet. Also Saboteur is a fun fast card/strategy game; we often played it in a pub as it's just great easy entertainment.

Now I'm really interested in Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island  and Rising Sun; would love to hear some reviews if anyone tried it?

6 hours ago, nudge said:

That's pretty much my current situation. We used to have a nice group of friends some 10 years ago and we used to gather together every two weeks or so for a game evening with some beer etc.; used to be class. But now that everyone's moved somewhere else I don't have anyone to play with anymore. I even researched board games that can be played solo but to be fair that would be even sadder xD 

Ha I knew you're a board game geek :D 

I'd love to give Star Wars: Rebellion a go. Looks fantastic. 

How's Terraforming Mars? I played the video game and liked it; wonder how the board game is. 

----------------------

Those of you who like Catan should also try Carcassonne if you haven't yet. Also Saboteur is a fun fast card/strategy game; we often played it in a pub as it's just great easy entertainment.

Now I'm really interested in Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island  and Rising Sun; would love to hear some reviews if anyone tried it?

Yep, sucks. There are some websites to meet people with similar interest like board games, haven't tried them but it's a good option to have. Specially if you're abroad, although not sure if it would work for you given you're in Asia with a very different language, perhaps it does if there are enough interested expats.

• The title was changed to Board & Card Games

Archived