• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Board & Card Games

football forum

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mostly play "Mensch argere dich nicht" which is a German classic. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mensch_ärgere_Dich_nicht

But I'm open to anything as long as it's fun. Chess too. Monopoly is meh. As someone who despises math, I hate it when you run out of money and have to start selling and calculating. Especially when the game is already advanced, and you already had a few alcoholic beverages. Fuck that. 

• Subscriber
On 23/01/2020 at 20:06, Tommy said:

I mostly play "Mensch argere dich nicht" which is a German classic. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mensch_ärgere_Dich_nicht

But I'm open to anything as long as it's fun. Chess too. Monopoly is meh. As someone who despises math, I hate it when you run out of money and have to start selling and calculating. Especially when the game is already advanced, and you already had a few alcoholic beverages. Fuck that. 

I like Monopoly when you've had a few. I take on a 'fuck it' attitude and start bending the rules.

"Don't have enough to pay rent on my hotel? Fuck it. Just pay me next time."
"Go to jail? Nah. Fuck it. It was a menial offence and I wasn't charged"

• Subscriber

Monopoly used to be fun as a kid, but now it's just too repetitive and can drag too long without being exciting. That said, I love those special editions. Wouldn't mind having this Mercedes one:

MPY_Mercedes_F1_AMG_Box_ohne_de_text_600

Or the Nürburgring one:

2018-01.jpg

Or the Werder Bremen one:

Werder1.jpg

917t0cezj+L._SX522_.jpg

4 minutes ago, nudge said:

Monopoly used to be fun as a kid, but now it's just too repetitive and can drag too long without being exciting. That said, I love those special editions. Wouldn't mind having this Mercedes one:

MPY_Mercedes_F1_AMG_Box_ohne_de_text_600

Or the Nürburgring one:

2018-01.jpg

Or the Werder Bremen one:

Werder1.jpg

917t0cezj+L._SX522_.jpg

I have this:

star-wars---parker-2005---star-wars-mono

And this:

G004800150_Monopoly-Duesseldorf-gebrauch

:D And I don't even like Monopoly that much.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I have this:

star-wars---parker-2005---star-wars-mono

And this:

G004800150_Monopoly-Duesseldorf-gebrauch

:D And I don't even like Monopoly that much.

The idea of buying everything in your own town sounds appealing :D

What do you buy in the Star Wars one? 

On 21/10/2019 at 06:23, Stan said:

It's a card game but has anyone ever played Dobble?

Always play it on holiday as it's so easy to take anywhere.

My wife is just so profoundly good at it that's it's a recipe in infuriation to play it.

My 4 year old loves it though. I start with double the cards and it's a fair fight.

• Administrator
Just now, Harry said:

My wife is just so profoundly good at it that's it's a recipe in infuriation to play it.

My 4 year old loves it though. I start with double the cards and it's a fair fight.

I'll play her and give her a good game! I'm addicted to it. So easy to play anywhere you are as well.

10 minutes ago, Stan said:

I'll play her and give her a good game! I'm addicted to it. So easy to play anywhere you are as well.

It's just a steady stream of her putting down cards almost too close together that I struggle to even place a card down at all 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
2 hours ago, nudge said:

Played Tokaido for the first time today. Lovely little game; very chill and the artwork is amazing.

pic1351507.jpg

Have this. Love it when you want to converse more than play and the game rules are pretty nice and simple too. Definitely not a game where you want to play the competitive angle.

• Subscriber
13 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Have this. Love it when you want to converse more than play and the game rules are pretty nice and simple too. Definitely not a game where you want to play the competitive angle.

Yeah, I really enjoyed it. Very Zen-like, haha. And the artwork really blew me away...

It's a long shot but since we're at Far East aesthetics anyway - do you know if there are any wuxia/xianxia or similar board games? 

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, nudge said:

Yeah, I really enjoyed it. Very Zen-like, haha. And the artwork really blew me away...

It's a long shot but since we're at Far East aesthetics anyway - do you know if there are any wuxia/xianxia or similar board games? 

So there are the traditional ones like Dungeons and Dragons and then there are some newer ones which I think are plain superb. But if you want something that emulates that and has a massive element of RPG with it try one of these two.

1. Gloomhaven - You can play this by yourself if you want and does it ever deliver on how much time it takes to run through. Probably one of my favorite games to setup and run through over a week when I get the time.
  2. Star Wars: Rebellion - Its a really large board game but I played it with three other friends and its very good. The problem? You never have enough space to set it up. 

If you're into the fantasy style board game experience though there really is nothing like classic Dungeons and Dragons but the only problem is you need people to play it and then the other problem is that it takes a lot of time.

Edit: I'd recommend Nemesis (Kickstarter Aliens-based boardgame) also to people who want missions and the element of world building but its become so unnecessarily expensive and they aren't making anymore of them now. 

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

So there are the traditional ones like Dungeons and Dragons and then there are some newer ones which I think are plain superb. But if you want something that emulates that and has a massive element of RPG with it try one of these two.

1. Gloomhaven - You can play this by yourself if you want and does it ever deliver on how much time it takes to run through. Probably one of my favorite games to setup and run through over a week when I get the time.
  2. Star Wars: Rebellion - Its a really large board game but I played it with three other friends and its very good. The problem? You never have enough space to set it up. 

If you're into the fantasy style board game experience though there really is nothing like classic Dungeons and Dragons but the only problem is you need people to play it and then the other problem is that it takes a lot of time.

Cheers; I hear a lot of good things about Gloomhaven and it looks fantastic but it's not exactly what I'm looking for... Was hoping to find something that's heavily rooted in Chinese mythology; I loved the look of this and it really looked promising as it was based on the Legends of the Wulin RPG but unfortunately it didn't manage to reach the funding goal and got cancelled:  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1710667762/the-legends-of-the-wulin-board-game?token=04edc4a3

This is the closest I found so far (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/212450/crossroads-heroes) but I'd prefer a bit more of a fantasy/mythology angle in a similar setting.

• Subscriber
46 minutes ago, nudge said:

Cheers; I hear a lot of good things about Gloomhaven and it looks fantastic but it's not exactly what I'm looking for... Was hoping to find something that's heavily rooted in Chinese mythology; I loved the look of this and it really looked promising as it was based on the Legends of the Wulin RPG but unfortunately it didn't manage to reach the funding goal and got cancelled:  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1710667762/the-legends-of-the-wulin-board-game?token=04edc4a3

This is the closest I found so far (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/212450/crossroads-heroes) but I'd prefer a bit more of a fantasy/mythology angle in a similar setting.

I am trying to remember the name of the game but its Samurai based and its a board game from the same creators as Zombiecide. 

Something like this?

• Subscriber
14 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I am trying to remember the name of the game but its Samurai based and its a board game from the same creators as Zombiecide. 

Something like this?

I looked it up when you posted this game earlier; looks nice (and also has a slight fantasy/mythology element by the looks of it) but somehow it doesn't really appeal to me enough to buy it. You said you enjoyed it but weren't sure about replay value, right?

3 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/145371/three-kingdoms-redux

Try this one its very highly rated.

And ... look here for more suggestions.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/925719/best-china-themed-games

You might like that second suggestion with cards but I think a board game is what you're looking for.

Three Kingdoms looks great; I should definitely give it a go even if there's no fantasy element :) Looks very epic so it's surely worth trying. Loved The Year of the Dragon. And you're right; that deck game (Ghost Stories) is more similar to what I'm looking for story-wise! Will see if I can order it... Have been reading a lot of Xianxia lately so now I have an itch to scratch haha. 

Thanks!

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, nudge said:

Thanks for your effort John; I'm looking for more detailed/complex board games with a compelling storyline and mythical figures/gods/demons though. That Feng Shui one is a bit too abstract :) 

Ok, my grandfather was Chinese :whistling: xD     继续尝试  Jìxù chángshì

• The title was changed to Board & Card Games

Archived