talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Union Berlin Thread

football forum

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Coma said:

Seemed to be frozen out at Mainz ever since Svensson took over.  Scored a wonder goal earlier this season but otherwise blah this year.

Somehow, he never managed to live up to expectations so far. Definitely not a bad footballer, fast, good shot, quite impressive technical ability, but something has been lacking for him to truly impress and perform consistently. Should be a good replacement for Gogia though, and who knows, maybe he'll bloom at Union. On a free transfer, so no risk anyway.

Öztunali, Jaekels, Rani Khedira - that's 3 free transfers for the next season already, and they also signed Puchacz from Lech (no clue how good he is) for the left back.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
17 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Union signed Genki Haraguchi and are about to sign Serdar Dursun. :o Two very good signings. 

Union showing how you should do business in Bundesliga with relatively low budget. Brilliant signings so far. 

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, McAzeem said:

Why doesn't Berlin have a dominated football club like almost every major European capital city has? Not a footballing city? 

Well, first of all Germany is a federal state, in which the capital never was that central as in other European countries. Capital of West Germany wasn't Berlin but Bonn, by the way. Third of all West Berlin was a poor city, depending on money injections from the mainland and in exclave of West Germany surrounded by the GDR on top.  And finally BFC Dynamo, an East Berlin club was record champion of the GDR. Hope that response is satisfactory.:)

Edited by Rucksackfranzose
  • Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, McAzeem said:

Why doesn't Berlin have a dominated football club like almost every major European capital city has? Not a footballing city? 

They didn't give Jürgen Klinsmann enough time to transform Hertha into a "big city club". :ph34r:

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 27/05/2021 at 09:40, McAzeem said:

Italy, Germany, Switzerland and USA all have capitals with underperforming teams. 

Plus, up until just a decade ago, there wasn't a Paris team worth a damn. 

1 hour ago, nudge said:

I made a mess of those tweets there, so here, have a short summary instead :4_joy:

Cool idea. 

Though this seems like a promo Freiburg would have been all over with being so environmental. 

Good for Union though. 

• Upvote 1

On 08/07/2021 at 23:59, Eco said:

Italy, Germany, Switzerland and USA all have capitals with underperforming teams. 

Plus, up until just a decade ago, there wasn't a Paris team worth a damn. 

Not true actually Racing Paris were strong throughout the 50's to 70's and at the end of the 80's at the begin of the 90's even though they were never champions apart from one year in the 30's.

28 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Not true actually Racing Paris were strong throughout the 50's to 70's and at the end of the 80's at the begin of the 90's even though they were never champions apart from one year in the 30's.

Fair enough as I didnt' start watching the sport until after their time and before PSG. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
26 minutes ago, Eco said:

Looks a bit like camo, no? 

Yeah, but it's supposed to mimick the stains of oil, dirt, and whatnot, I think  (ᵔ◡ᵔ)

I really love the monochrome club crest!

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, nudge said:

Yeah, but it's supposed to mimick the stains of oil, dirt, and whatnot, I think  (ᵔ◡ᵔ)

I really love whe monochrome club crest!

Yeah - the crest is a nice touch, for sure. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just read an article on DW and it said Union can't host their Europa Conference League match at the Alten Försterei because the stadium doesn't meet UEFA rules for terracing.  I didn't realize that there were stadiums out there that don't meet UEFA guidelines in the top leagues.  What is it about their stadium that isn't compliant?

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Coma said:

Just read an article on DW and it said Union can't host their Europa Conference League match at the Alten Försterei because the stadium doesn't meet UEFA rules for terracing.  I didn't realize that there were stadiums out there that don't meet UEFA guidelines in the top leagues.  What is it about their stadium that isn't compliant?

No standing alowed in UEFA competitions. Alte Försterei barely has any seats, it's predominantly old school terracing. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Tommy said:

So local rival Hertha wanted to sign Union's Marvin Friedrich. But he said he won't join Hertha because of his connection to Union. :D Warms my heart. 

And it's not even THAT big of a rivalry... Nice to see players who identify with the club and respect its fans and traditions, respect.

• Upvote 4

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...