talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

'Me Too' Movement

football forum

A college professor here was accused by three four female students of her class of harassment.

Turned out they all failed in exams and were trying to pressurise him to give them better grades, but until it all became clear his wife left him, his reputation tarnished and he suicided before he was proven innocent.

They alleged that he used to stare at them and use to give gestures that made them uncomfortable.

What are your thoughts on Metoo ? Is it still mostly a legit thing

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm always guarded on movements as people jump on and it gets carried away, and abused by people who fly the flag of the movement for gain (for example politicians that pick up champion roles on movements). But MeToo is by far more good than bad, where the accusers are mostly genuine and warranted, and the movement creates an environment in which victims have more comfort coming forward.

One aspect of the movement that bothers me is the court of public opinion is more emotive and less reliable than actual legal processes where untruths will be weeded out. We need to be a bit more balanced in the way we evaluate things particularly from different times and places.

• The title was changed to 'Me Too' Movement
  • Subscriber
4 hours ago, Stick With Azeem said:

Turned out they all failed in exams and were trying to pressurise him to give them better grades, but until it all became clear his wife left him, his reputation tarnished and he suicided before he was proven innocent.

Sounds like a movie me and the wife watched a while ago, same scenario, teacher, one pupil who was possessed with him and also wanted good grade marks and for him to drop his pants, wife left him...say no more.  :coffee:

It's an issue when all accusations get treated as being 100% legit and the whole movement decides to pile on to whoever's being accused without actually caring about the details. Also an issue when there's no perspective shown within people's reaction and they conflate smaller issues with more serious issues just so they can react to smaller issues as if they were more serious issues.

Don't know what the solution really is, you can't really call out sections of the movement for not caring about credibility as you'll just be painted as someone who doesn't want women to come forward at all. If you comment on it, you either have to be 100% for everything the movement is doing or you'll be seen as someone who's 100% against everything the movement is doing. Most men know this and that's why most men don't bother even commenting on it. And the men that are desperate to be seen as 100% on board with everything will pretend that other men don't comment on it because they just hate women. They'd even be offended by this thread existing. Seems like someone already is. :ph34r:

• Subscriber

I always tell the wife if she hears any gossip friends, family-wise is keeping it to yourself and don't go whispering down the phone to her big sis "I heard, blah, blah, blah..." she asked why and I said "I guarantee you if you said something like I have just seen a guy walking down the street with only a pair of shorts on... by the time your big sis had told someone else, who told someone else etc...that bit of gossip has ended up as "I heard that this guy was running down the street stark bollocks naked, picking his nose and scratching his arse with a lady running behind him stark bollocks naked, picking her nose and scratching her arse..."  all the wife would say is "smart arse".

I just hope the end result is more women being comfortable to come forward right away, when there is still evidence vs years later when the only evidence is he say/she say. 

There are also those women, like Neymar’s case, that just tarnish the whole reputation of it. 

On 21/10/2019 at 22:28, 6666 said:

It's an issue when all accusations get treated as being 100% legit and the whole movement decides to pile on to whoever's being accused without actually caring about the details. Also an issue when there's no perspective shown within people's reaction and they conflate smaller issues with more serious issues just so they can react to smaller issues as if they were more serious issues.

Don't know what the solution really is, you can't really call out sections of the movement for not caring about credibility as you'll just be painted as someone who doesn't want women to come forward at all. If you comment on it, you either have to be 100% for everything the movement is doing or you'll be seen as someone who's 100% against everything the movement is doing. Most men know this and that's why most men don't bother even commenting on it. And the men that are desperate to be seen as 100% on board with everything will pretend that other men don't comment on it because they just hate women. They'd even be offended by this thread existing. Seems like someone already is. :ph34r:

Top post.

That whole " people are unable to speak against it in any way for want of being seen to be against it".... For me that's such a big issue of political discourse in the western world now....

Useful for people who genuinely went through a bad time as at least they know they were not the only ones things happened too but can also be a bad thing as you get loads of people start jumping on the bandwagon just because someone brushed past them a little too close in a corridor once or called them 'darling' in a morning meeting and it tends to dilute the seriousness of it all..  

I can't help wondering though how many of these things have been brought on as a result of ones own lack of self worth.. so many actresses that said they felt pressured into doing something they later regretted and then pushing the responsibility of it on to the other person as abusing their position when a lot of the time if they had not been chasing that vital role or the stardom they might normally have had some self respect and told them to fuck right off!! 

That is not the whole story of course and I am pretty sure that a lot of these people totally abused their positions and there may have been some that were unable to fight off the more serious claims of rape for example and for that they need to be held accountable.. 

16 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

Useful for people who genuinely went through a bad time as at least they know they were not the only ones things happened too but can also be a bad thing as you get loads of people start jumping on the bandwagon just because someone brushed past them a little too close in a corridor once or called them 'darling' in a morning meeting and it tends to dilute the seriousness of it all..  

I can't help wondering though how many of these things have been brought on as a result of ones own lack of self worth.. so many actresses that said they felt pressured into doing something they later regretted and then pushing the responsibility of it on to the other person as abusing their position when a lot of the time if they had not been chasing that vital role or the stardom they might normally have had some self respect and told them to fuck right off!! 

That is not the whole story of course and I am pretty sure that a lot of these people totally abused their positions and there may have been some that were unable to fight off the more serious claims of rape for example and for that they need to be held accountable.. 

Yeah the false equivalence between Biden's "made me uncomfortable" hugging and Trump's 23 accusations of sexual misconduct and candid admission the he grabs them by the blank was jarring.

Unfortunately to those not paying close attention to the stories you're either clean or been lumped in the MeToo bucket of misogynist offenders.

I don't see how anyone can't be in favour of exposing leches, perverts and sexual predators. We can say 'things were different' as much as we want, but in reality things were bad and this behaviour continues. I don't see much of it myself but occasionally I am amazed at what people think is acceptable behaviour in the work place and how creepy some fellas can be. It's mostly more embarrassing than anything else but you can see where it borders onto the worrying and potentially dangerous. The whining from the usual suspects about 'not being able to speak to women' is usually done by these said creepy men who can't properly interact with girls and therefore blame women/society rather than look at themselves. 

The difficulty when it comes to getting convictions for criminal offences is that sexual crimes are notoriously difficult to prove, and only get more difficult with time. Sadly there is not much that can be done about this except encourage people to come forward immediately after the offence.

Read this article about it this morning, a bit long but pretty much covers the pro's and con's of it all... 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-7605893/Yes-noble-intentions-time-called-time-MeToo.html

Despite it's serious intention to right many wrongs in doing so they are in danger of making the world a minefield to negotiate for future generations.. one example of the ridiculous was this bit... 

In one of the most frivolous cases to go viral, comedian Aziz Ansari almost had his career ruined after a woman he once dated complained online she felt his pattern of behaviour was coercive.

Among her claims were that he left a restaurant too early, poured her red wine instead of white and tried to kiss her when her ‘non-verbal cues’ told him she wasn’t up for it.

When I think back you know I begin to realise how much I have been used by my missus over the years.. all them times she manipulated me into sex using her many feminine wiles to take advantage of my weaknesses when I was under the influence using her insider knowledge to get me into bed.. not to mention all them times she touched me inappropriately when I was half way up ladder fixing something or bending over doing some carpet laying.. Honestly it's been a truly awful experience it really has...  I blame myself, I was weak and easily led and I can't change it now but it's not too late for you younger ones... 

#It'sTooLate

1 minute ago, Bluewolf said:

Read this article about it this morning, a bit long but pretty much covers the pro's and con's of it all... 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-7605893/Yes-noble-intentions-time-called-time-MeToo.html

Despite it's serious intention to right many wrongs in doing so they are in danger of making the world a minefield to negotiate for future generations.. one example of the ridiculous was this bit... 

In one of the most frivolous cases to go viral, comedian Aziz Ansari almost had his career ruined after a woman he once dated complained online she felt his pattern of behaviour was coercive.

Among her claims were that he left a restaurant too early, poured her red wine instead of white and tried to kiss her when her ‘non-verbal cues’ told him she wasn’t up for it.

When I think back you know I begin to realise how much I have been used by my missus over the years.. all them times she manipulated me into sex using her many feminine wiles to take advantage of my weaknesses when I was under the influence using her insider knowledge to get me into bed.. not to mention all them times she touched me inappropriately when I was half way up ladder fixing something or bending over doing some carpet laying.. Honestly it's been a truly awful experience it really has...  I blame myself, I was weak and easily led and I can't change it now but it's not too late for you younger ones... 

#It'sTooLate

The fact your first reaction is to go on about the people falsely accused is telling. This is all about poor men! 

1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

The fact your first reaction is to go on about the people falsely accused is telling. This is all about poor men! 

Really... 

I am all for taking the serious things seriously and the trivial things for what they are but as I pointed out in an earlier post the danger of movements like this is that the trivial things clutter up the more serious ones and then the waters get muddied... I feel for those that suffered and rightly so those that are guilty should be brought to justice but we shouldn't be entertaining things like someone wanting to leave a restaurant early or serving the wrong wine as a justifiable reason to allow someone a platform to slate another person and paint them as some kind of manipulative monster hence the reason I highlighted the ridiculous end of the scale.. 

Archived