talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ballon D'Or 2019

football forum

7 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Ronaldo has also played under a lot better managers. Most of the best managers of this generation in fact.

Messi makes managers great if we are honest.

Ronaldo makes the players around him greater and benzema is living proof of it.. even suarez and his embarrassing record (four years without a CL away goal) highlight how the team is willing to sacrifice a world class striker time after time for messi... zlatan and villa (a player who all of the sudden was sold simple because he pissed of Messi during a match) 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

The fact that neither Messi or Ronaldo has scored a goal in the knock outs of a world cup is a bit embarrassing. 

Yes very true but Messi has been appalling in the Copa America tournaments, at least Ronaldo has had a few good Euros as player and even winning the final as Manager lets not forget! Even Fernando Santos was coping every movement on the touchline of Ronaldo, was pure inspirational as it was the first time I have ever watched a football match naked.

cristiano-ronaldo-portugal-manager.jpg

ronfune.jpg

3624922E00000578-3684551-image-a-17_1468

santos.jpg?itok=vAhffK9c

46 minutes ago, Panna King said:

Yes very true but Messi has been appalling in the Copa America tournaments, at least Ronaldo has had a few good Euros as player and even winning the final as Manager lets not forget! Even Fernando Santos was coping every movement on the touchline of Ronaldo, was pure inspirational as it was the first time I have ever watched a football match naked.

cristiano-ronaldo-portugal-manager.jpg

ronfune.jpg

3624922E00000578-3684551-image-a-17_1468

santos.jpg?itok=vAhffK9c

Neither had really dominated a tournament. Messi in 2016 had a great tournament I thought. Messi is so comfortably a better player than Ronaldo though. 

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Machado said:

Pretty sure that's google translated.

I feel 2nd hand embarrassment

It genuinely reads like a Teso fanboy post but with less of the Spanish xD 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

It genuinely reads like a Teso fanboy post but with less of the Spanish xD 

Just checked it and she actually wrote it in Portuguese, so that's instagram's translation which is bad enough by itself and just adds to the cringe.

Ronaldo will be nowhere near next year's Ballon D'Or race so she won't have to worry about it anymore. There is an obvious decline in his ability to impact a game and this season he's already been like a ghost on the field many times. Hard to watch to be honest.

• Administrator
Just now, Machado said:

Just checked it and she actually wrote it in Portuguese, so that's instagram's translation which is bad enough by itself and just adds to the cringe.

Ronaldo will be nowhere near next year's Ballon D'Or race so she won't have to worry about it anymore. There is an obvious decline in his ability to impact a game and this season he's already been like a ghost on the field many times. Hard to watch to be honest.

Are the reports of a fall out with Sarri true?

11 minutes ago, Stan said:

Are the reports of a fall out with Sarri true?

It doesn't seem personal. I think Sarri respects him and would be happy to play him if he was at his best, but Ronaldo doesn't produce the same anymore so Sarri needs to do what's best for Juventus which is dealing with the reality - one that Ronaldo might not like. Ronaldo should get less and less game time and substituting him off will occur more often which will make him furious like he was last time.

Should be his last season at the highest level for his own sake. Don't think he wants to be remembered for having played at an embarrassingly low level.

• Administrator
Just now, Machado said:

It doesn't seem personal. I think Sarri respects him and would be happy to play him if he was at his best, but Ronaldo doesn't produce the same anymore so Sarri needs to do what's best for Juventus which is dealing with the reality - one that Ronaldo might not like. Ronaldo should get less and less game time and substituting him off will occur more often which will make him furious like he was last time.

Should be his last season at the highest level for his own sake. Don't think he wants to be remembered for having played at an embarrassingly low level.

That rules out a move back to Man Utd then :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Embarrassing from Ronaldo's sister but let's not rejoice in Ronald's decline too much. Unlikely to see someone as good and driven as him for a long time. He will go down as one of the greatest ever. 

In no way was I making any comment on Ronaldo in posting that. I effing love Ronaldo.

33 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Embarrassing from Ronaldo's sister but let's not rejoice in Ronald's decline too much. Unlikely to see someone as good and driven as him for a long time. He will go down as one of the greatest ever. 

I see there's a lot of Juventus fans calling for him to be taken out the team completely but this happened in the first halves of the previous seasons with Madrid. Yes, Real Madrid fans can be a strange breed but they too wanted him dropped in previous seasons, fed up with his poor form, only for him to come on very strong in the second halves of the previous campaigns. Yes, this could truly be Ronaldo's decline but I wouldn't be so quick to come to conclusions, considering we have the knockouts of the Champions Legaue coming up and a big international tournament next summer.

Anyway, Messi won the Ballon d'Or, it had to be him in my opinion.

8 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

Ronaldo always relied on his athleticism over the pure skill that Messi has. The decline was always bound to come with age.

I don't think he's done yet though. In his last few seasons at Real, he was playing similar to this in the first halves of the season before turning it on in the 2nd halves and that turned out being his best ever period in terms of big and important goals. You can never write him off.

He's had some career either way. Not many players can boast being class from their teen years right up until their mid 30s. The other Ronaldo was a fat bastard who was banging ladyboys at the same age.

13 hours ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Messi's closer to an (attacking) midfielder than he is a striker or a winger to be fair. Especially nowadays. Far more than just a player who simply scores goals as well.

Zidane and Platini also didn't have problems winning the award nor did Ruud Gullit, Bobby Charlton, Luis Suarez(the Spanish one from the 60s), Lothar Matthaus, or Modric last year. Midfielders can definitely win it mate, although Iniesta never winning one was certainly a travesty. Personally I'd say this award is often won on players who stand out for how they play the game. This is why Shearer never won it ahead of the Brazilian Ronaldo, for example.

It's defenders(apart from rare cases) and keepers who miss out the most. But then you can't compare a defender to an attacker, it's impossible. But I'd say you were right in general, it's more for the attack minded players than any others.

I personally wouldn't say Van Dijk was undeserving, but at the same time, when an attacking player plays to such a high standard(and we are speaking a standard that is very rarely, if ever, reached by an attacking player) then it's always going to be hard to look past that. It's unfair on defenders, but Van Dijk would have won the award this season over any other attacker on the planet. He stood out and you don't get many defenders who perform to such a level.

It's always been hard for a defender to win it, even Maldini didn't manage to, albeit being on the shortlist a few times. Beckenbauer is one who did and then obviously Cannavaro in 2006, although I don't believe the latter deserved it personally.

Midfielders could have won it before, in the era of Ronaldo and Messi we had one shocker which was Modrić.

• Subscriber
13 minutes ago, True Blue said:

Midfielders could have won it before, in the era of Ronaldo and Messi we had one shocker which was Modrić.

Going by what Modric did Sneijder should have won it too and I am still amazed at how the Croatian got it.

Just now, Mel81x said:

Going by what Modric did Sneijder should have won it too and I am still amazed at how the Croatian got it.

Plenty of midfielders in the past have had better seasons than Modrić and where better players than him too. It was a pretty shocking Ballon D'Or but i don't think Luka will lose a lot of sleep because of it.

• Subscriber
Just now, True Blue said:

Plenty of midfielders in the past have had better seasons than Modrić and where better players than him too. It was a pretty shocking Ballon D'Or but i don't think Luka will lose a lot of sleep because of it.

Doubt Messi and Ronaldo have lost any sleep either haha

Archived