• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ballon D'Or 2019

football forum

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ballon D'Or lesson:

Kids: Be a striker, or a winger score many goals and be popular. 

Don't be a midfielder, a defender or a goalkeeper since you will win shit regardless how good you are.

No this is not a dig at Messi and Ronaldo arguably the best players that ever lived.

33 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

I don't understand people saying Messi was clearly the winner. Van Dijk had an amazing year and performed better internationally. 

Personally, I hold Messi to higher standards than most and his poor copa America did go against him. You can make a convincing argument for both of them. 

You might as well not put defenders and goalkeepers up for it in my opinion.

3 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

I don't understand people saying Messi was clearly the winner. Van Dijk had an amazing year and performed better internationally. 

Personally, I hold Messi to higher standards than most and his poor copa America did go against him. You can make a convincing argument for both of them. 

Maybe in another year VVD would win but it just correlated with a big year from messi....

Yeah nah. I tried but honestly I think that's bullshit. It is such a negative statement the extent to which this award biases attacking players.

I am with Ronaldo to boycott this love affair, its very fixed year after year, even Sneijder had the best year ever that a player could have in 2010 but still Messi won.  Was embarrassing also when Messi got named the best player at the 2014 World Cup :rofl:

5 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Van Dijk on club and International had a great season who played a huge part of it. I just think its down to sponsors and Messi is more marketable.

5 hours ago, Stan said:

Someone send some chill pills to her please. 

Someone should teach VVD how to be humble... he had no fucking right to say such a cheap and unnecessary shot towards Cristiano. He finally gets a little taste of glory and the cunt goes bat shit crazy, I can only imagine all the fuckery VVD would say if he was to ever accomplish all that Ronaldo has accomplished with the two greatest teams in the history of the game. Fuck you VVD, you and your team got lucky that it was a spineless spurs side because if it was Ronaldo's RM, no doubt they would of won. 

Even after that comment, (all the media here is making fun of VVD xD) teso refuses to not be fair and still believe he should of won it ahead of messi. The midget will go down as the greatest one club player of all time but will also go down as the player that has recieved the most awards even when he didn't deserve it. I dont know how many in total, but instead of making messi look like the greatest ever, which is the goal of the ones giving him the awards undeservedly, it only adds further evidence that he doesnt belong in the same category as Pele or Maradona. 

We are going to give this award to messi because although he failed to deliver another CL (five years and counting my friends) and made a fool of himself at the copa America, he deserves it because he looked good while Barcelona looked average..... vvd won it fair and square. 

45 minutes ago, Panna King said:

Van Dijk on club and International had a great season who played a huge part of it. I just think its down to sponsors and Messi is more marketable.

It’s actually down to Messi having a phenomenal year individually. Which many forget that is what this award is about. Trying to justify team accomplishments ahead of Messi pissing every single statistic is groundless based on the sheer definition of the award. 

Ronaldo’s sister looking like an idiot. Just as insecure as her brother. VVD is as humble as they come and the OTT reactions from what is undoubtedly a comment that isn’t implying anything wrong. The reactions are priceless. 

59 minutes ago, Cicero said:

It’s actually down to Messi having a phenomenal year individually. Which many forget that is what this award is about. Trying to justify team accomplishments ahead of Messi pissing every single statistic is groundless based on the sheer definition of the award. 

Humour me for one second then. If it’s all about pissing every single statistic, why bother with goalkeepers and defenders being up for the award? Genuinely? 

3 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Humour me for one second then. If it’s all about pissing every single statistic, why bother with goalkeepers and defenders being up for the award? Genuinely? 

Because VVD is an incredible defender who had a great year performance wise. He didn’t however perform better than Lionel Messi. :what:We’re living in an era of arguably the greatest player of all time. 

I'm not sure what that's based on or how you can argue it so precisely, it's largely a matter of opinion who had the better year. 

Would Liverpool have achieved what they did without Van Dijk? Certainly not. Would Barcelona have achieved what they did without Messi? Certainly not. Beyond that it's a matter of opinion. There is a good argument for Messi but saying that anyone who doesn't agree must be a Liverpool fan is nonesense. Messi's poor copa America is a blot for me and there can't be many bigger Messi fans than I. 

2 hours ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Someone should teach VVD how to be humble... he had no fucking right to say such a cheap and unnecessary shot towards Cristiano. He finally gets a little taste of glory and the cunt goes bat shit crazy, I can only imagine all the fuckery VVD would say if he was to ever accomplish all that Ronaldo has accomplished with the two greatest teams in the history of the game. Fuck you VVD, you and your team got lucky that it was a spineless spurs side because if it was Ronaldo's RM, no doubt they would of won. 

Even after that comment, (all the media here is making fun of VVD xD) teso refuses to not be fair and still believe he should of won it ahead of messi. The midget will go down as the greatest one club player of all time but will also go down as the player that has recieved the most awards even when he didn't deserve it. I dont know how many in total, but instead of making messi look like the greatest ever, which is the goal of the ones giving him the awards undeservedly, it only adds further evidence that he doesnt belong in the same category as Pele or Maradona. 

We are going to give this award to messi because although he failed to deliver another CL (five years and counting my friends) and made a fool of himself at the copa America, he deserves it because he looked good while Barcelona looked average..... vvd won it fair and square. 

Literally the only reason why C.Ronaldo was on the shortlist is because he's football's version of one of the Kardashians.

33 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Literally the only reason why C.Ronaldo was on the shortlist is because he's football's version of one of the Kardashians.

Rubbish, Ronaldo is a gladiator, he has conquered every league he has played in and now every International tournament.  Messi is a not an elite international footballer but a club elite footballer with only 1 team.

7 minutes ago, Cicero said:

So Maldini isn’t elite. xD

My god this is honestly the worst argument I’ve ever heard 

Messi has failed to produce in international tournaments in fact 90% of all of them.   Also it was just in reference to Ronaldo that he has played in a number of countries and still is top of his game, other players have switched to other leagues who were top but failed to make the same impressions.

7 minutes ago, Panna King said:

Messi has failed to produce in international tournaments in fact 90% of all of them.   Also it was just in reference to Ronaldo that he has played in a number of countries and still is top of his game, other players have switched to other leagues who were top but failed to make the same impressions.

Let’s not pretend if Messi was playing for City or Juventus he wouldn’t perform well. He’d even do better at City than this current Barca side. Matter of fact he has the most goals against the top 6 in England and he doesn’t even play in the premier league. 

The one thing that separates Ronaldo and Messi on the international stage, is Eder. That is virtually it. 

8 hours ago, True Blue said:

Ballon D'Or lesson:

Kids: Be a striker, or a winger score many goals and be popular. 

Don't be a midfielder, a defender or a goalkeeper since you will win shit regardless how good you are.

No this is not a dig at Messi and Ronaldo arguably the best players that ever lived.

Messi's closer to an (attacking) midfielder than he is a striker or a winger to be fair. Especially nowadays. Far more than just a player who simply scores goals as well.

Zidane and Platini also didn't have problems winning the award nor did Ruud Gullit, Bobby Charlton, Luis Suarez(the Spanish one from the 60s), Lothar Matthaus, or Modric last year. Midfielders can definitely win it mate, although Iniesta never winning one was certainly a travesty. Personally I'd say this award is often won on players who stand out for how they play the game. This is why Shearer never won it ahead of the Brazilian Ronaldo, for example.

It's defenders(apart from rare cases) and keepers who miss out the most. But then you can't compare a defender to an attacker, it's impossible. But I'd say you were right in general, it's more for the attack minded players than any others.

12 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

I'm not sure what that's based on or how you can argue it so precisely, it's largely a matter of opinion who had the better year. 

Would Liverpool have achieved what they did without Van Dijk? Certainly not. Would Barcelona have achieved what they did without Messi? Certainly not. Beyond that it's a matter of opinion. There is a good argument for Messi but saying that anyone who doesn't agree must be a Liverpool fan is nonesense. Messi's poor copa America is a blot for me and there can't be many bigger Messi fans than I. 

I personally wouldn't say Van Dijk was undeserving, but at the same time, when an attacking player plays to such a high standard(and we are speaking a standard that is very rarely, if ever, reached by an attacking player) then it's always going to be hard to look past that. It's unfair on defenders, but Van Dijk would have won the award this season over any other attacker on the planet. He stood out and you don't get many defenders who perform to such a level.

It's always been hard for a defender to win it, even Maldini didn't manage to, albeit being on the shortlist a few times. Beckenbauer is one who did and then obviously Cannavaro in 2006, although I don't believe the latter deserved it personally.

26 minutes ago, Panna King said:

Ronaldo has also played under a lot better managers. Most of the best managers of this generation in fact.

Messi makes managers great if we are honest.

Archived