Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

football forum

Ballon D'Or 2019

Ronaldo always relied on his athleticism over the pure skill that Messi has. The decline was always bound to come with age.

8 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

Ronaldo always relied on his athleticism over the pure skill that Messi has. The decline was always bound to come with age.

I don't think he's done yet though. In his last few seasons at Real, he was playing similar to this in the first halves of the season before turning it on in the 2nd halves and that turned out being his best ever period in terms of big and important goals. You can never write him off.

He's had some career either way. Not many players can boast being class from their teen years right up until their mid 30s. The other Ronaldo was a fat bastard who was banging ladyboys at the same age.

13 hours ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Messi's closer to an (attacking) midfielder than he is a striker or a winger to be fair. Especially nowadays. Far more than just a player who simply scores goals as well.

Zidane and Platini also didn't have problems winning the award nor did Ruud Gullit, Bobby Charlton, Luis Suarez(the Spanish one from the 60s), Lothar Matthaus, or Modric last year. Midfielders can definitely win it mate, although Iniesta never winning one was certainly a travesty. Personally I'd say this award is often won on players who stand out for how they play the game. This is why Shearer never won it ahead of the Brazilian Ronaldo, for example.

It's defenders(apart from rare cases) and keepers who miss out the most. But then you can't compare a defender to an attacker, it's impossible. But I'd say you were right in general, it's more for the attack minded players than any others.

I personally wouldn't say Van Dijk was undeserving, but at the same time, when an attacking player plays to such a high standard(and we are speaking a standard that is very rarely, if ever, reached by an attacking player) then it's always going to be hard to look past that. It's unfair on defenders, but Van Dijk would have won the award this season over any other attacker on the planet. He stood out and you don't get many defenders who perform to such a level.

It's always been hard for a defender to win it, even Maldini didn't manage to, albeit being on the shortlist a few times. Beckenbauer is one who did and then obviously Cannavaro in 2006, although I don't believe the latter deserved it personally.

Midfielders could have won it before, in the era of Ronaldo and Messi we had one shocker which was Modrić.

13 minutes ago, True Blue said:

Midfielders could have won it before, in the era of Ronaldo and Messi we had one shocker which was Modrić.

Going by what Modric did Sneijder should have won it too and I am still amazed at how the Croatian got it.

Just now, Mel81x said:

Going by what Modric did Sneijder should have won it too and I am still amazed at how the Croatian got it.

Plenty of midfielders in the past have had better seasons than Modrić and where better players than him too. It was a pretty shocking Ballon D'Or but i don't think Luka will lose a lot of sleep because of it.

Just now, True Blue said:

Plenty of midfielders in the past have had better seasons than Modrić and where better players than him too. It was a pretty shocking Ballon D'Or but i don't think Luka will lose a lot of sleep because of it.

Doubt Messi and Ronaldo have lost any sleep either haha

• Haha 1