Newcastle vs Barnsley
Norwich vs QPR
Nottingham Forest vs Ipswich
Rotherham vs Derby
Sheff Weds vs Fulham
Wigan vs Leeds
Wolves vs Preston

Permutations - Who's going up and down?

Championship - It's between Blackburn, Forest and Birmingham fighting it out to stay in the division.
Birmingham have to match Forest's and/or Blackburn's result to survive. If Birmingham draw and both Forest and Blackburn win, they will be relegated through inferior goal-difference.
Forest simply have to match Blackburn's result. However, if Blackburn's win margin is more than 1 goal and better than Forest's win margin, they will survive.
If the goal-difference is the same between all 3, it will go down to goals scored to determine who survives. 

League Two - The top 3 can all still win the league; seven teams can still conceivably compete for the play-off positions; Newport and Hartlepool are competing to survive in the Football League. 
Plymouth, in 1st, just have to match Doncaster and Portsmouth's result. 
Doncaster only have to better Plymouth's result to finish top. 
Portsmouth have to better both sides' results to finish top. 

The seven teams competing for the final 2 play-off spots are Carlisle, Blackpool, Stevenage, Cambridge, Colchester, Wycombe & Mansfield.

Hartlepool simply have to win and hope Newport lose or draw to have any hope of surviving. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, we've been promoted and Wigan have already booked their trip back down to League One. It's inconceivable that my luck will come in three times... I'm certain Blackburn are going to stay up. :( Probably Forest taking their place. 

Although, a guaranteed 6 points from the yokels will help our cause no end next season.

• Subscriber

I can't see Forest going really. Would be hilarious if they did but they've got such a favourable fixture. Ipswich have nothing to play for and aren't any good.

Brentford don't have anything to play for either but they're actually decent.

Birmingham I can't see going.

Hope Forest go down after the disgusting display of cheating I witnessed in December. Angriest I have ever been over Football. Still hoping the ref is currently dead as well.

Would be class if we won the league but meh, job is done so it would just be a bonus.

Child rapists, murderers, animal abusers and cannibals will assemble in Blackpool's away end on Saturday night if you believed what Blackpool's convicted rapist owner and the Football League thought. 

Hope our game never starts, let alone finishes. Goodbye to the Football League for us this game, they've been an absolute shambles through all of our troubles and they really won't be missed by anyone whatsoever at Orient. 

10 hours ago, Dan said:

Haven't Forest beaten all of the top six at home or something daft like that?

They done us, Brighton, Huddersfield and Reading. Drew with Fulham and lost to Wednesday. Beat Leeds though. Good record that, better than ours against that lot at SJP.

Not seen it mentioned but its between three shambolically run Football Clubs for relegation from the Championship and a relegation for any of the three could be a fast track to much bigger problems for whoever suffers the drop, as Coventry, Blackpool and Charlton to a varying degrees have proven in recent years. 

18 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Not seen it mentioned but its between three shambolically run Football Clubs for relegation from the Championship and a relegation for any of the three could be a fast track to much bigger problems for whoever suffers the drop, as Coventry, Blackpool and Charlton to a varying degrees have proven in recent years. 

Aye it isn't good, far worse than relegation from the Premier League is. I think if Blackburn go down they'd be in the worst state personally due to their owners. Disgusting the impact dodgy owners have on Football clubs. Whenever a club plummets down the leagues it's never just Football reasons they done so.

Well in our last match the manager saw fit to play a 4-4-2, with our wingers on the bench, and 4cm's on the pitch. Interesting. Almost as interesting as the long balls to....Scott Hogan. Let's just get this tragic first season in the championship over with and hope for better in the future. I really hope he has a proper plan for summer, because we can go around buying out the Championships best players all we like, if there is no proper system and tactics we'll continue to struggle. For us to not only not get the play-offs, but to not even be anywhere near them is a huge huge failure from all concerned, from the alien we had in charge at the start through to the blob we have now.

I'd like to see Hepburn-Murphy start, a good talent and due to a big injury and an unresolved contract earlier in the season he's not played as much as he might of. Think he can become a good player, though he'll probably be loaned out next season. I'm not fussed about the result, i'd like to see them more content with the ball, we have good technical players and we shouldn't look so far behind other teams with the ball, especially with our squad. To be honest I am fully expecting a boring performance from us, a draw or narrow loss, and more shit football. 

Been a very traumatic first season down. I know it's pretty commonplace for us but once again more than one manager during the season, another complete overhaul (was it 17 or so players we bought, can't remember), we've really struggled in some games and away from home we've been embarrassing. There is definitely something to build on though, pretty good defensively for the most part, we just need 2 or 3 really good signings to link it all up and we should hopefully put in a better challenge next season. You cannot be spending 70m+ in the championship and competing (or not so) and playing like we have.

On 04/05/2017 at 7:53 AM, Smiley Culture said:

Child rapists, murderers, animal abusers and cannibals will assemble in Blackpool's away end on Saturday night if you believed what Blackpool's convicted rapist owner and the Football League thought. 

Hope our game never starts, let alone finishes. Goodbye to the Football League for us this game, they've been an absolute shambles through all of our troubles and they really won't be missed by anyone whatsoever at Orient. 

Ill be surprised if there  isn't some sort of pitch invasion delay but I imagine blackpool will be keen to finish the match given there situation. I just hope we see the Blackpool fan with the mobility scooter on the pitch again. Absolute legend.

19 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

Ill be surprised if there  isn't some sort of pitch invasion delay but I imagine blackpool will be keen to finish the match given there situation. I just hope we see the Blackpool fan with the mobility scooter on the pitch again. Absolute legend.

I think the game will go ahead and finish, personally. There's a big protest through Blackpool, ending at the ground but I think most won't go into the game, especially the Blackpool fans. Now there has been pretty heavy speculation about the sale of the club, I think the 950 Orient fans going will behave and use it as an opportunity to thank the young lads who've worked incredibly hard under such terrible circumstances. I think we won't see many of these young kids again, unfortunately.  

• Subscriber

The frankly ridiculous range of permutations for League Two Playoff qualification this evening:

Carlisle (away at Exeter)

- If they WIN, they are in the playoffs

- If they DRAW, they are in the playoffs if 3 out of the 4 following results happen:

- Blackpool fail to beat Leyton Orient

- Stevenage fail to beat Accrington Stanley

- Wycombe and Cambridge draw

- Colchester fail to beat Yeovil

- If they LOSE, they are in the playoffs if 4 out of the 5 following results happen:

- Blackpool lose to Leyton Orient

- Stevenage lose to Accrington Stanley

- Mansfield fail to beat Crawley

Blackpool (home vs Leyton Orient)

- If they WIN, they are in the playoffs unless Carlisle win and Stevenage manage to win by 14 more goals than Blackpool

- If they DRAW, they are in the playoffs if 3 of the 4 following results happen:

- Carlisle lose to Exeter

- If they LOSE, they are in the playoffs if all following results happen:

Stevenage (home vs Accrington Stanley)

- If they WIN, they are in the playoffs if either Carlisle fail to beat Exeter or Blackpool fail to beat Leyton Orient

- If they DRAW, they are in the playoffs if 5 of the following 6 results happen:

- Blackpool lose to Leyton Orient

- Mansfield fail to beat Crawley or win by less than 4 goals

- If they LOSE, they cannot qualify

Cambridge (away at Wycombe)

- If they WIN, they are in the playoffs if 3 of the 4 following results happen:

- Carlisle fail to beat Exeter

- Stevenage fail to beat Accrington

- Colchester fail to beat Yeovil, or beat Yeovil by fewer goals than Cambridge beat Wycombe

- If they DRAW, they are in the playoffs if all of the following results happen:

- Blackpool lose by 13 or more goals to Leyton Orient

- Stevenage lose to Accrington

- If they LOSE, they cannot qualify

Colchester (home vs Yeovil)

- If they WIN, they are in the playoffs if 3 of the following 4 results happen:

- Cambridge and Wycombe draw OR Cambridge beat Wycombe by fewer goals than Colchester beat Yeovil OR Wycombe's winning margin over Cambridge is less than 4 better than Colchester's winning margin over Yeovil

- If they DRAW or LOSE, they cannot qualify.

Wycombe (home vs Cambridge)

- If they WIN, they are in the playoffs if 3 of the 4 following results happen:

- Colchester draw with, lose to, or beat Yeovil with a winning margin more than 4 goals worse than Wycombe's winning margin over Cambridge

- If they DRAW or LOSE, they cannot qualify

Mansfield (away at Crawley)

- If they WIN, they are in the playoffs if 4 of the following 5 results happen:

- Blackpool lose to Leyton Orient (or draw if Mansfield win by 17 or more goals)

- Stevenage lose to Accrington (or draw if Mansfield win by 4 or more goals)

- If they DRAW or LOSE, they cannot qualify.

Should be an interesting afternoon then!

Overall it's not been a bad season for us, and barring a huge goal swing tomorrow we're going to finish in the top half of the Championship for the second year running, so I can't have too many complaints.

After a strong middle of the season which saw us briefly threaten for a play-off spot, it would it be a shame to see us end the season in a tame way by failing to win our last 6 games. Hopefully we can win at Molineux tomorrow, but I'm feeling a 1-1 draw which would at least see us finish up with one more point than last season.

Our midfield has been too lightweight this season and we desperarely need to a sign a good ball-winning midfielder over the Summer. Who exactly that should be, I don't know yet. 

I really hope our Lancashire neighbours Blackburn can pull off the great escape tomorrow but it will be tricky for them. Brentford away is not an easy game and Forest have a better goal difference by 1. When Mowbray took over, they went on a unbeaten run but they just drew too many matches, including at home to us when McGeady scored a 93rd minute equaliser. During that sequence of games when they constantly drawing by either scoring or conceding a late equaliser, it would have been much better for them points-wise to have won half of those games and lost the other half. 

• Subscriber

Carlisle and Blackpool both win meaning that the Colchester, Stevenage, Cambridge, Wycombe and Mansfield results mean nothing. League 2 Playoffs are Luton, Exeter, Carlisle and Blackpool.

Hartlepool are relegated. A shame that. I grew up with them being a decent League One side with Adam Boyd and Jon Daly. They were so close to The Championship at one point. There stance on agents has been admirable. I hope they're not in The Conferance far too long.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived