talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Football League 2016/2017 - 6-7th May

Genuine shock in the stands at Hartlepool right now, they were safe but a disastrous run has seen them relegated from the Football League. They've been excellent this afternoon, which is a far cry from the side I watched get easily beaten by Orient a couple of weeks ago. 

It's been a sensational run of form by Newport County mind, absolutely fantastic. They looked dead for much of the season and they've somehow escaped. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awful for Hartlepool, North East football really is on it's arse. Only one top flight club and we are far from certain to stay there, two clubs most certainly going to be in the second tier and then two in the Conference and that's it. Shocking.

Who knows what will happen today. As the league two games showed yesterday, a late goal can completely change everything.

Relegation would be devastating and I'm still very doubtful it would mean Venkys would leave. We'd lose our experienced players, maybe make a couple of million on players (Lowe, Evans, Lenihan) and then have to rely on a very young and inexperienced team. We'd probably be more likely to go down again rather than bounce straight back.

If we did survive I actually think we'd have a decent season under Mowbray next season. He has turned the club around, got the fans behind him and the team, and we've given some of the best teams in this league a real game. We're hard to beat and keeping more clean sheets. I'd like to think most of the players would stay and we'd maybe be around mid table which would be great considering the current position.

What ever the result I will still be renewing my season ticket though.

• Administrator

gutted for Hartlepool and Jeff and obviously all their other fans. They must have been loving life when they scored their winner. Heartbreak when Newport score their goal so late on as well.

Football. It's the hope that kills you. 

12 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

I haven't seen the full league table but should Forest get a goal and win 1-0 and Blackburn win 2-0, that leaves both on 51 points with a goal difference of minus 12.

Who's scored the most as I think it would go down to that wouldn't it?

Forest score a pen in the 43rd minute and I jinxed it. Oops.

Looking at the table, Blackburn will be relegated if it stays like this.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived