talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Football League 2016/2017 - 6-7th May

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Literally can't get over that. Mild celebrations after Gayle scored and then everyone started going fucking wild, In the first half it happened but the goal was disallowed and I thought it was 1-0 Villa until half time (ffs) so I just stood wondering what was going on and then someone had it up on their phone that it was 1-1. Absolute scenes, was like an away end ha! 

Then the whole ground stood singing for the last 8 minutes or so, was fucking brilliant. Then more absolute scenes when it was full time at Villa Park. My leg was actually shaking, fucking brilliant. Will live with me for a long time that feeling.

A few players looked like massive bottlers in the Bristol City game the other week. Panic rushing. They ended the game with faces like they'd been relegated as they realised they'd given themselves a big task.

I think Brighton thought they had to turn up against Bristol City, the same way we have done a few times this season. If I was a Brighton fan I'd be disappointed but in a week's time when the play offs are in they'll realise that they have acheived something brilliant and that they will be a PL club next season. As good as it is winning the league it is just the icing on the cake really. Fair play to them.

Still buzzing though - the photo's of Rafa holding the trophy make me realise that him and the team will see it as a huge achievement, especially after being 7 points behind with 3 to play.

Would have been disappointed to have finished second due to that fucking awful penalty call in the Villa game too!

In fairness Villa park had been a hard place to get 3 points for any team this year, on balance I think we could have won if we'd tried I expect a serious promotion challenge next year. 

Also Toon army will you lot get over the ant n Dec banter now? 

5 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

In fairness Villa park had been a hard place to get 3 points for any team this year, on balance I think we could have won if we'd tried I expect a serious promotion challenge next year. 

You're favourites to win the league next season.

One thing you have got in favour is a manager who knows what he's doing at that level, many promotions and he'll get a squad together capable of winning it next season.

As for Brighton, yeah a disappointing end to the season but Chris Hughton has done a remarkable job and once the dust settles they'll quickly get over it.

15 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Cheers for the favour, think that makes up for the time you sent us down! In all seriousness I've been over it since we done you 6-0 the season we came back up but the window licking brigade on Twitter still lap it up.

I have said it for ages but Bruce having a pre-season to put everything together is going to see you win the league next year, good manager and a good squad and they will gel over the Summer as mentioned.

You've lost less home games than us, so obviously doing something right at VP.

• Subscriber

Knew Forest would pull it out of the bag. They always do.

Absolutely gutting way to go down for Blackburn. The most sickening way.

I fancy Cardiff to make the top six next year. Seriously.

Me too, Warnock is very good at this level.

I also think Birmingham will have a good season next year if Redknapp stays for the duration. It's going to be a tough league to call next season.

Next year will be a lot more competitive at the top I reckon. You look at Derby, Norwich, Villa, Cardiff and Brentford and they're all beginning to click. You could add Wolves in to that category too. Then you have Middlesborough who have similar squad to the one that went up. It should be a fascinating season that I don't want us to have any part of.

This year felt like a bit more of a predictable process . There were surprises in Villa and Derby being bad, Huddersfield and Reading making the playoffs, and Birminghams rapid flop but the top two and sides in relegation battles felt easy to call on September 1st.

• The topic was unpinned

An awful performance from us at Molineux yesterday. Wolves completed dominated the game and should have beaten us more convincingly. We barely created any meaningful chances after falling behind so early on. Hugill was our only player who actually carried any sort of attacking threat. We've ended the season with a whimper with just 1 point from our last 6 matches.

So we have finished in exactly the same position (11th) and with exactly the same number of points (62) as last season. Overall I have to be realistic and accept that we have a good season, despite my frustration at how badly we finished it. 

If we want to push on next season and challenge for the play-offs, we desperately need a central midfielder and a forward. We'll see what the summer brings. 

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

An awful performance from us at Molineux yesterday. Wolves completed dominated the game and should have beaten us more convincingly. We barely created any meaningful chances after falling behind so early on. Hugill was our only player who actually carried any sort of attacking threat. We've ended the season with a whimper with just 1 point from our last 6 matches.

So we have finished in exactly the same position (11th) and with exactly the same number of points (62) as last season. Overall I have to be realistic and accept that we have a good season, despite my frustration at how badly we finished it. 

If we want to push on next season and challenge for the play-offs, we desperately need a central midfielder and a forward. We'll see what the summer brings. 

how's Gallagher doing for you? I enjoyed his best Luis Suarez impression a couple of weeks ago. 

I've truly gutted for Rovers that they were relegated, and at their overall demise since the clueless Venky's took over. I always hate seeing incompetent owners ruining football clubs, regardless of whether I like them, hate them or are generally indifferent to them. From 6 top 10 finishes in 9 seasons in the Premier League during 2002-2010 before the Venky's took over to League One. Very sad.

As I said before, while the team has clearly improved since Mowbray took over, they just drew too many games near the end after he took charge. They had a sequence of 4 consecutive draws where they either scored or conceded a late equaliser. However stating the obvious here, 2 wins and 2 losses from those 4 games would have been better for them points-wise. One of those games was at home to us when McGeady scored a 93rd minute equaliser.

We were relegated to League One in 2011 and had to deal with Blackpool fans flying banners above Deepdale mocking us. That was painful. But of course in my lifetime our success doesn't even come to 5% of what Blackburn have achieved. It's surreal to think that for the first time in my lifetime (or since 1980), we will be in a higher division than them next season. I'm not meaning to gloat at all there, I like Blackburn and have always wanted them to do well. 

While they probably will have to blood a lot of younger players next season, one silver lining is that they have an excellent youth academy with a good crop of players coming through (according to Rovers fans that I've spoken to), especially if you consider how many clubs there are in the North West competing for the same youth players including Man City with their state of the art facilities. They need to take advantage of that. 

30 minutes ago, Stan said:

how's Gallagher doing for you? I enjoyed his best Luis Suarez impression a couple of weeks ago. 

Haha that was a quality save from his against Newcastle.

He has been a quality signing for us, and thanks to him and his passing ability we have improved our style of play and become much more entertaining to watch than the early Grayson days when were hoofing it long more frequently. I think that overall he was better last season than this season, but still I've been delighted with his performances and output. 

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Haha that was a quality save from his against Newcastle.

He has been a quality signing for us, and thanks to him and his passing ability we have improved our style of play and become much more entertaining to watch than the early Grayson days when were hoofing it long more frequently. I think that overall he was better last season than this season, but still I've been delighted with his performances and output. 

that's good to hear. His set-piece ability helped us in the Championship days and loved his style of penalties - stand with back to goal, walk back, turn and run up, smash it in the back of the net. Not sure he missed one for us? His free-kicks were quality too.

@Aaroncpfc will enjoy these as well...

5 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Grayson's done a quality job with you with what is a very small budget in comparison with the teams around you. 

Agreed about Grayson, he's one of them I wrote off but he's done a good job this season. If they can make a couple of shrewd signings they'll be up there. Score line aside I was impressed with them at SJP, looked dangerous every time they went forward.

So we finish bang in the middle. Considering how the season started, I can't complain at all. Warnock has been key to this and if we can hold on to players like Manga (unlikely) and Hoilett (possible) while getting a goalie or two and improving our attack, we could have an outside chance at the play offs.

• Subscriber
On 5/8/2017 at 8:38 AM, Aaroncpfc said:

Next year will be a lot more competitive at the top I reckon. You look at Derby, Norwich, Villa, Cardiff and Brentford and they're all beginning to click. You could add Wolves in to that category too. Then you have Middlesborough who have similar squad to the one that went up. It should be a fascinating season that I don't want us to have any part of.

This year felt like a bit more of a predictable process . There were surprises in Villa and Derby being bad, Huddersfield and Reading making the playoffs, and Birminghams rapid flop but the top two and sides in relegation battles felt easy to call on September 1st.

Not just me who isn't remotely surprised Villa didn't go up then?

Derby always seem to find a way to rule themselves out. I'd expect them to be up and around the top six next year but I don't think they'll go up. They blew their best chance in 2014.

Archived