• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

General Tech News

football forum

• Subscriber
19 hours ago, Harry said:

Hey,

I'll be leaving my current job soon.

I'm wondering if it's possible to take a few files and documents with me when I leave, but it seems to have been blocked by the IT department.

Does anyone have smarts about this?

Obviously not anything sensitive but just a few things that would be useful to me to remember.. 

IT controls have come a long way in the last decade from when I changed jobs previously. Any ideas @Mel81x @nudge?

The simplest thing is to transfer them to one-drive via the web (yes, they can still track you if it's a company issued laptop). If you want to go the completely off-beat route then do this, if they are small, email them to yourself on your work laptop and then if you have a web interface for emails just open that at home and download them, there's no tracking there and it's really very hard to do anything even if there was. 

One piece of caution is that if there's an InTune server sitting anywhere close to the work you're doing (company IP, confidential data, etc) I'd just avoid copying and get someone else to mail them to me haha. Those things are very granular about file access and usage. I can't believe I am saying all this when I used to work with SecOps but realistically if its nothing serious you can just take it with you unless the company has some vested interest in it from a financial or IP standpoint.

On 21/11/2023 at 23:16, Mel81x said:

The simplest thing is to transfer them to one-drive via the web (yes, they can still track you if it's a company issued laptop). If you want to go the completely off-beat route then do this, if they are small, email them to yourself on your work laptop and then if you have a web interface for emails just open that at home and download them, there's no tracking there and it's really very hard to do anything even if there was. 

One piece of caution is that if there's an InTune server sitting anywhere close to the work you're doing (company IP, confidential data, etc) I'd just avoid copying and get someone else to mail them to me haha. Those things are very granular about file access and usage. I can't believe I am saying all this when I used to work with SecOps but realistically if its nothing serious you can just take it with you unless the company has some vested interest in it from a financial or IP standpoint.

This is right. I mean I have my fucking CV on my work laptop because it's the only computer I have at the moment. 

Surely I can take that with me when I leave!

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
On 19/12/2023 at 16:35, CaaC (John) said:

Got this for the wife around 2000 I think it was, still works, all it needs is charging and a new sim, it sits in a drawer in the back room, I cant see it on that list?

download.thumb.png.ad2cd8924812456913a28c254df5780c.png

Between 9 and 10 really. Nokia's glory years.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
51 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Between 9 and 10 really. Nokia's glory years.

This is the wife's one atm, she has had this for years and swares by it, she wont get a new up-to-date one and this one fits into the palm of my hand, most of the numbers or letters on the buttons have worn away yet she can type away quite content with out any spelling mistakes, I wont touch it.

thumbnail_20231222_072205.jpg.92237d161e4ced41d76c63beebf7ed3f.jpg

• Subscriber
On 19/12/2023 at 05:57, Mel81x said:

Somewhere between 6 and 7. My uncle had a 3 and I thought it was cool like he was spy who had secret missions haha.

I had a 9 as my first mobile, I thought it was out of this world, I was sitting on a bus typing a message but then realised I had no names stored in it so I could not send it. xD

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

Can a thumb-sized nuclear battery last 50 years?

image.thumb.png.bfacaeff90b9062603b0d9402dc83853.png The race to build a nuclear battery is heating up, with a Chinese startup pitching a coin-sized device it says can keep producing a charge for 50 years.

Beijing-based Betavolt is joining a field that includes Australia’s PhosEnergy, which was given $2.3 million in 2022 to explore producing ultra-long-life batteries for the Department of Defence.