The better place to talk football.

Sacramento Becomes 30th MLS Team

football forum

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Eco said:

Welcome Sacramento to an already crowded league. 

sac-event1.png?krxtAKBmjtt04D0XfP7dkwJVe

So, in case you were wondering...that makes it 30 teams in the MLS. :dash3:

Im assuming they'll wait for the number to reach the next 10s mark like 40 before they decide its best to have lower leagues? I would even argue that its something that they could do right now?

1 minute ago, Mel81x said:

Im assuming they'll wait for the number to reach the next 10s mark like 40 before they decide its best to have lower leagues? I would even argue that its something that they could do right now?

They will never do it. If you don't start off with that kind of system, it'll be impossible to implement it now. The fee teams have to pay to join the MLS is something absurd, and so then you would have to have all of these owners agree to implement a system in which they risk losing their MLS status (which they paid so much for), just to copy what they do in Europe. 

I think it'll go to 36 or so teams, and just be a league like it is now, honestly. It's how all of our sports are here. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Eco said:

They will never do it. If you don't start off with that kind of system, it'll be impossible to implement it now. The fee teams have to pay to join the MLS is something absurd, and so then you would have to have all of these owners agree to implement a system in which they risk losing their MLS status (which they paid so much for), just to copy what they do in Europe. 

I think it'll go to 36 or so teams, and just be a league like it is now, honestly. It's how all of our sports are here. 

I think thats absurd too its a league and while I get that its easier to implement leagues like other sports (makes it easier for the local population to digest) its weird that you could reach a stage where other teams just wont be able to get in. What happens then? Do they then have some qualification system?

3 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I think thats absurd too its a league and while I get that its easier to implement leagues like other sports (makes it easier for the local population to digest) its weird that you could reach a stage where other teams just wont be able to get in. What happens then? Do they then have some qualification system?

Nope, they will just close off the league, and the only way for a city to have a team, is to buy an existing team and move them, which requires a lot of money and a lot of signatures, and is rarely seen. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Eco said:

Nope, they will just close off the league, and the only way for a city to have a team, is to buy an existing team and move them, which requires a lot of money and a lot of signatures, and is rarely seen. 

Pardon the ignorance here but isn't that unfair to cities that could potentially have the ability to compete and then just cant? I mean if this is a tried system elsewhere it must work at some level I can't understand because it seems odd that you could potentially have a team that wants to compete and has no way just because of the money gating factor and the legalities involved.

1 minute ago, Mel81x said:

Pardon the ignorance here but isn't that unfair to cities that could potentially have the ability to compete and then just cant? I mean if this is a tried system elsewhere it must work at some level I can't understand because it seems odd that you could potentially have a team that wants to compete and has no way just because of the money gating factor and the legalities involved.

Okay - so here is a breakdown of American sports and how they attempt to tailor this valid concern. 

Baseball - 30 teams. Each team also has a minor league system which we call 'Minor' League Baseball. It goes from Rookie League, Single A, Double A, to Triple A. When players are drafting to a team, they usually go to Rookie ball, and work their way up until they keep getting promoted to the Major Leagues. Some people are good enough to jump from Rookie to Triple A, while others take years. It's all up to the staff and managers on it all and these minor league teams are typically in small, baseball cities. 

Football - College Football. That's it. Their is no minor league system and unless the XFL ends up working, their just won't be a minor league system for the NFL. This was actually the last example of a team moving, when the St. Louis Rams packed up and left to Los Angeles, meaning that St. Louis now does not have an NFL team. 

Basketball - Same as baseball but not as intense. They have the D-League and G-League in smaller cities, but usually when players are drafted, they start in the NBA because talent is usually a lot easier to assess in basketball for some reason. 

So in soccer, we still have the USL, NASL, and other minor leagues that have ZERO affiliation with the MLS, and those are in smaller cities. I used to have ST to Atlanta Silverbacks which were our small team here in Atlanta before we got Atlanta United. 

In fact, a quick search of Facebook, and I found the first photo of my (now) wife and I at an Atlanta United game, this was dated 2012 and just look at their stadium. 

561128_481868185157726_1789613353_n.jpg?

And now here is us this year with Atlanta United for reference. 

29063001_10101599704257352_1254574206453

• Subscriber

You'd think I'd know all this with the time I spent there watching College Football and how much I like the NHL but it never really dawned on me that there were systems in place to keep the total number of teams at the top level at a unique number nor did I know the MLS wouldn't have some kind of backwards feeder system to support the injection of new teams into the league to create better competition. My assumption was that the number of teams really just stayed the same because that was the defacto number of teams allowed and the rest were all fed upwards from colleges and minor leagues with no room for any newcomers because other cities just didn't care to be a part of the bigger system. 

P.S. Nice pics.

11 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

You'd think I'd know all this with the time I spent there watching College Football and how much I like the NHL but it never really dawned on me that there were systems in place to keep the total number of teams at the top level at a unique number nor did I know the MLS wouldn't have some kind of backwards feeder system to support the injection of new teams into the league to create better competition. My assumption was that the number of teams really just stayed the same because that was the defacto number of teams allowed and the rest were all fed upwards from colleges and minor leagues with no room for any newcomers because other cities just didn't care to be a part of the bigger system. 

P.S. Nice pics.

I mean, it certianly sucks if you live in Montana or somewhere remote like that and love sports. I hate that we don't have an NHL team in Atlanta, but we do have a minor league team that feeds to the Boston Bruins, but really their is no real talent on the team. 

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Eco said:

I mean, it certianly sucks if you live in Montana or somewhere remote like that and love sports. I hate that we don't have an NHL team in Atlanta, but we do have a minor league team that feeds to the Boston Bruins, but really their is no real talent on the team. 

It's an odd story that you bring up NHL teams in Atlanta because a friend of mine moved from there to Tampa Bay around the 2002 time and he'd always laugh at the fact that I support the Sharks who have never lifted the Stanley Cup. I then told him he should support the local team as a joke and if I could take back what I did, I'd do it in a heart-beat. The amount of ridicule I got from him after they lifted the cup in 2004 is something I won't ever be allowed to live down. It's even worse that he came back in 2016 when the only obstacle was just beating a superior Penguins team and the joke as they say goes on. 

• The title was changed to Sacramento Becomes 30th MLS Team

Archived