talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Bundesliga Club Memberships

football forum

Is there any valid, publicly released data on the teams and their membership numbers? 

It's one of the things I absolutely love about German football, the 50+1 rule, and while you have a few teams that skate around it, it's still a good rule and one that should be admired. 

I did find this chart, but I'm not sure how accurate it is. 

image.thumb.png.4e10a8cd92f84191d1576df15ec445ed.png

https://www.statista.com/statistics/595935/german-bundesliga-clubs-member-numbers/

I'll also mention, that I do find it surprising that Union Berlin is not that far behind Hertha, that Bremen are as far back from Frankfurt as they appear to be, and the Leverkusen has more than Dusseldorf. 

11 minutes ago, Eco said:

and the Leverkusen has more than Dusseldorf. 

Hmm, I think a lot of people from South Düsseldorf and North Cologne support Leverkusen. Then you have big-ish towns like Langenfeld, Monheim, Solingen next to Leverkusen. Also, Fortuna is known for having a lof of "fashion fans" who only feel like turning up when we're doing great. I don't think those people are interested in becoming club members. 

Okay - so I feel like their are some major cities that don't seem to have a decent club. You have Essen (where my wife lived) which is a decent sized city but I think their best team plays in Regionaliga. I spent some time in Bonn, but they don't have a professional team yet are a decent sized club. Yet their are teams like Paderborn which has such a low population and are in the Bundesliga. 

I was also surprised how many Union Berlin have. I love their fan base, just didn't know it was that many paying fans. 

Are you a member of Fortuna? 

• Subscriber
19 minutes ago, Eco said:

I'll also mention, that I do find it surprising that Union Berlin is not that far behind Hertha, that Bremen are as far back from Frankfurt as they appear to be, and the Leverkusen has more than Dusseldorf. 

That chart is accurate.

For the part in bold: I'd say Frankfurt benefits from the fact that there's a lack of higher-profile clubs in Hessen so they are more likely to attract fans from all around the state whereas Bremen is the smallest federal state in the country and is surrounded by a geographical area with a number of other historically successful clubs with strong fan base. Hamburg is just over 100 km away and have HSV and St. Pauli; Niedersachsen have Hannover which is also just over 100 km away and also a few other traditional clubs in lower leagues + Wolfsburg. 
That said, the costs of the membership aren't helping to attract new members ever. I've been a "Fördermitglied" for years and wanted to upgrade to a "Vollmitglied" but the membership fee of 168€ a year is fucking ridiculous. It's the most expensive one in the league as well; more than double of what some other clubs charge ffs.

• The title was changed to Bundesliga Club Memberships
2 minutes ago, nudge said:

That chart is accurate.

For the part in bold: I'd say Frankfurt benefits from the fact that there's a lack of higher-profile clubs in Hessen so they are more likely to attract fans from all around the state whereas Bremen is the smallest federal state in the country and is surrounded by a geographical area with a number of other historically successful clubs with strong fan base. Hamburg is just over 100 km away and have HSV and St. Pauli; Niedersachsen have Hannover which is also just over 100 km away and also a few other traditional clubs in lower leagues + Wolfsburg. 
That said, the costs of the membership aren't helping to attract new members ever. I've been a "Fördermitglied" for years and wanted to upgrade to a "Vollmitglied" but the membership fee of 168€ a year is fucking ridiculous. It's the most expensive one in the league as well; more than double of what some other clubs charge ffs.

I did hear that RB Leipzig has a ridiculous fee which is why their aren't that many memberships sold and how they remain the 50+1 rule. 

I also couldn't find a Membership chart for 2. Bundesliga, which I imagine would be dominated by HSV and Stuttgart, but who knows. 

Question: What is the difference between the two levels? What do you get out of the membership as someone who isn't local anymore other than just knowing that you are part of the club and are helping to support it? 

This concept of membership is just so foreign to the states. 

27 minutes ago, Eco said:

I did hear that RB Leipzig has a ridiculous fee which is why their aren't that many memberships sold and how they remain the 50+1 rule. 

I also couldn't find a Membership chart for 2. Bundesliga, which I imagine would be dominated by HSV and Stuttgart, but who knows. 

Question: What is the difference between the two levels? What do you get out of the membership as someone who isn't local anymore other than just knowing that you are part of the club and are helping to support it? 

Basicly an quarterly member magazine, a right of first refusal at matches that are supposed to be sold out, if you're going to attend them although you're not local, sometimes even at a lower price, and of course you may give a person of your trust a mandate to execute your voting rights at the annual member assembly.

Edited by Rucksackfranzose
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Rucksackfranzose said:

Mostly an quarterly member magazine, a right of first refusal at matches that are supposed to be sold out, if you're going to attend them although you're not local, sometimes even at a lower price, and of course you may give a person of your trust a mandate to execute your voting rights at the annual member assembly.

How much a year is it for Saarbrucken's membership? 

• Subscriber
On 22/10/2019 at 15:20, Eco said:

The names of the membership tiers might vary from club to club but when it comes to Werder the only difference between the two is having a right to vote - Fördermitglieder don't have this right whereas Vollmitglieder do. 

Being a member has a few advantages in general; the main ones being discounts on season tickets, two free match tickets, priority in getting tickets for top and away matches, discount on merchandise and then some other small stuff like club magazine etc. A full membership with voting right obviously gives you a direct say in how the club is run so there's that. Back when I became a member I was living nearby and going to matches from time to time but to be honest I never had a chance to use any of the membership benefits anyway (other than free stadium tour). For me it's just about supporting the club and being part of it hence why I'm still a paying member and probably will be for life (depending on how silly the cost gets of course).

• Upvote 3

• Subscriber
30 minutes ago, Eco said:

https://www.transfermarkt.de/2-bundesliga/daten/wettbewerb/L2

That second big image you posted isn't accurate I think. I see they still put Frankfurt at less than 60000 but they're at 80000 now; so there might be some other errors as well.

1 hour ago, Eco said:

Okay - so I feel like their are some major cities that don't seem to have a decent club. You have Essen (where my wife lived) which is a decent sized city but I think their best team plays in Regionaliga. I spent some time in Bonn, but they don't have a professional team yet are a decent sized club. Yet their are teams like Paderborn which has such a low population and are in the Bundesliga. 

I was also surprised how many Union Berlin have. I love their fan base, just didn't know it was that many paying fans. 

Are you a member of Fortuna? 

Rot-Weiß Essen is still a legendary club with a huge history. Helmut Rahn alone is a German footballing legend. 

Not yet. My father is though. 

1 hour ago, nudge said:

https://www.transfermarkt.de/2-bundesliga/daten/wettbewerb/L2

That second big image you posted isn't accurate I think. I see they still put Frankfurt at less than 60000 but they're at 80000 now; so there might be some other errors as well.

Perfect - thanks. 

In the chart I posted, it had Eintracht Braunschweig at less than 5k, but this one has over 5k which is nice to see. 

17 minutes ago, Faithcore said:

We are cheaper :P 61 Euro. Finally became a member last year.

Holy shit - Union Berlin is 120 euro a year O.o

Can't even find how much one for Eintracht Frankfurt is...but I am going to assume it's expensive as hell. 

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Eco said:

Can't even find how much one for Eintracht Frankfurt is...but I am going to assume it's expensive as hell. 

it's 76€ + a one-time admission fee of 20€ when you join for the first time.

• Upvote 1

Just now, nudge said:

it's 76€ + a one-time admission fee of 20€ when you join for the first time.

That's not too bad really. I'm surprised Union Berlin and others are that much now that I have something to compare them to.