talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Bundesliga Club Memberships

football forum

• Subscriber
38 minutes ago, Eco said:

A what???

Haha, I don't know if something like that exists in the US. It's a shopping cart chip. Basically in most grocery shops in Europe you have to put a coin into the handle of a shopping cart in order to "borrow" it when shopping (which you get back after returning the cart to the cart stand). Since it's not always possible and not very convenient to have a specific coin whenever you're shopping, there are chips the size of the coin made by companies to use instead of a 1€ coin. 

1 minute ago, nudge said:

Haha, I don't know if something like that exists in the US. It's a shopping cart chip. Basically in most grocery shops in Europe you have to put a coin into the handle of a shopping cart in order to "borrow" it when shopping (which you get back after returning the cart to the cart stand). Since it's not always possible and not very convenient to have a specific coin whenever you're shopping, there are chips the size of the coin made by companies to use instead of a 1€ coin. 

Ah - funny enough, their is one grocery store that does this, Aldi, and they are from Sweden. 

Otherwise, that is a very foreign concept in America but genius really when you consider the amount of time and effort stores put in gathering up all of their carts in the parking lot. 

I think one of the reasons why the 04 total is so high is my own experience.  I first went to Germany in 1949 to Castrop-Rauxel which is well away from Gelsenkirchen, but all the boys I met there of my age were 'knappen' and these day most of my friends in Herne are likewise 04 supporters.  Even on the outskirts of Dortmund there are many wearing blue rather than the BVB colours - for some reason 04 has more of a 'Ruhr' feeling than some of the others - I meet up with fans in Bochum and even in Tommy's homeland.  Some of my local kids here in W Yorkshire are only 5 miles from Leeds but are Citizens and solid Man City fans.  I even have two lovers of the Pied Piper story and have become firm Werder supporters as a result.  Its kids like me who start at 11 or less who stay with it which build up the list - through thick or thin - nudge is typical of that long-term devoted support which whatever the 'coach of the day' does to us we stay as Olivia NJ used to sing - 'Hopelessly Devoted'!

As for the shopping cart I have just been to Tesco and without a £1 coin I was given a little blue plastic chip which worked and are all over for free - now I know why their trollies are all over rather than having to get the £1 back - daft really!

Edited by SchalkeUK
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Eco said:

Ah - funny enough, their is one grocery store that does this, n. Aldi, and they are from Swede

Otherwise, that is a very foreign concept in America but genius really when you consider the amount of time and effort stores put in gathering up all of their carts in the parking lot. 

ahem, Aldi is the abbreviation of Albrecht Discount, and they're German.;)

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Aldi is legendary. In the 90's it had a bit of a bad image, because they mostly sold cheap stuff. And you got made fun of in school if you wore something from Aldi or if you were seen there. The Turks used to shop there a lot, and there was a bit of a scandal when Germany played Turkey, and the German fans taunted the Turkish fans by holding up Aldi bags xD Nowadays they're the leading super market in Germany, and offer plenty of proper brands instead of their own. Decent clothes too. Just checked, I think every piece of clothing on me is from Aldi right now xD

Aldi Swedish.... K*lsch in Düsseldorf :shutup:

giphy.gif

26 minutes ago, nudge said:

Don't think anyone cares about Aldi when at the Reeperbahn... xD 

Ich weiß nicht, warum ich nicht so richtig happy bin
Und nach 'ner Weile kommt's mir wieder in den Sinn
Da gibt es so 'nen Discounter
Die super Preise auch ganz nah
Und ich weiß, mich zieht's zum Aldi
Reeperbahn - alles klar
Du alte Gangsterbraut, jetzt bin ich wieder da

• Haha 1