talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Would you go to Man Utd?

I just saw the video in another thread where Roy Keane said United should "just go and get Harry Kane"...I also keep seeing players like Jadon Sancho and James Maddison being linked to them, and I ask myself why would these players go to Man United in their current state?

So if you were a young, talented player with a big future ahead of you, would you go there?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Not at all!

Sancho wouldn't go from Dortmund to United. That would be a bizarre move.

Kane and Maddison are slightly more realistic but even then, it's not a place either would go to better their careers. Seen a few United fans make the comment that Daniel James signed for them but that was because he was playing Championship football and had always dreamed of playing for them as a kid.

Depends. Who else is interested? 

It’s the money and prestige that still makes United attractable. However a few seasons outside the Top 4 could hurt their chances of attracting top players, but even then it hasn’t helped them. Di Maria, Falcao, Sanchez

Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Juventus, Bayern Munich and PSG are, for me, the only clubs he should consider and would be a definitive step up from Spurs.

Let's also remember that he came up through Spurs youth, it wouldn't be a bad thing for the game if he was to stay there. Yes, he's brilliant and good enough to play for anyone in Europe, where he'd earn more money and have a bigger chance at trophies, but it's always nice to see loyalty in this sport as it's becoming a rarity.

• Subscriber

I think the confusion starts with the word "linked". Realistically if a club like City offered those players a better contract in their current condition those players could have their heads turned to go to City instead of United. The problem with that analogy is that the only one of those candidates who would be a good fit at City is Harry Kane. Pep doesn't need the rest of them right now and it would be a waste for the rest of those players to even go there.

United will always be linked with players just because of their sheer size and popularity across Europe but until they start showing some promise as a team and have a coach who can lead the charge I don't know if anything other than money is going to draw players to them. These players aren't oblivious to what goes on with the clubs they want to go to and if a better club comes knocking you weigh your options and ask what you want more, trophies or money. Its not unlikely that some of them and their agents would go the cash route but if you want to win serious silverware that's not a current destination for any upcoming talent. 

Would you want to be part of a rebuilding process at one of the, possibly the, biggest clubs in the world?  Manchester United will always compete for and attract the best players in the world.  They can pay the big money in wages, they have the facilities, the fan base, they provide a platform for any young player to shine.  Of course players will want to go there.  Players will go there over the next 2 transfer windows.  United could easily be competitive again by August.

• Subscriber

Depends on who the manager is and we did not have the clowns Woodward and the Glazers there I think we could get top class players at OT, let be honest in the glory years when SAF and Wenger were ruling the roost top players would jump at a chance to join United or Arsenal, nowadays...hmmm   

*Need to take my Leeds blinkers off for a sec*

Gulp.

I can't quite bring myself to say the exact words but, only way I can compare this is using someone like AC Milan as an example (I think United can say are on their level of prestige).

Milan are presently not the team they were. Do not compete for the title and have been missing Europe's elite competition for a while now. No one talks about them amongst Europe's current elite. 

But for me, playing at an iconic ground like the San Siro, for an iconic club globally, to be a part of that rich history and demanding fanbase is still a massive draw. And I don't think people realise that until they experience how intense it is for themselves.

Some clubs just have it. Milan have it. Man Utd have it.

They are huge clubs. By huge, I mean giants. That will not change because of short term misfortunes. They can still attract big names.

So yes, I'd be incredibly tempted. Whilst Spurs are a decent club, they are not a giant.

1 hour ago, Shinji Doherty said:

Would you want to be part of a rebuilding process at one of the, possibly the, biggest clubs in the world?  Manchester United will always compete for and attract the best players in the world.  They can pay the big money in wages, they have the facilities, the fan base, they provide a platform for any young player to shine.  Of course players will want to go there.  Players will go there over the next 2 transfer windows.  United could easily be competitive again by August.

This is the answer. Things might be messy there at the moment, but they have a better foundation for success than Tottenham or Leicester, and probably Dortmund as well (as we're talking about Kane, Maddison and Sancho). Those teams can all make an argument they've been more successful than Man United in recent years, but you have to ask what's in the future. Tottenham look like they're on shaky ground, Leicester finished below Man United last season, and Dortmund look destined to live in Bayern's shadow. If I'm Kane or Maddison, I absolutely believe that Manchester United with me in the side (plus whoever else they bring in with their considerable wealth) are better than my current team. If I'm Sancho, it's a bit closer, but they're not far off at worst.

On top of that, Manchester United are so massive that you'll go down in history if you bring them back to the top. Can you say that about the other three?

Of course the choice doesn't necessarily have to be between United and their current club. There's absolutely no doubt Sancho will have other offers, and very good ones, but I wouldn't be surprised if Manchester United were the best offer on the table for Kane and Maddison.

• Administrator

Depends what club I'm already at, surely?

If I'm at club that is obviously going places or already is better/bigger than Utd right now, of which there are a handful, then obviously not. Would also depend if I'm going to succeed there. A player like Vardy doesn't suit Man Utd's style. 

You'd go there if you're chasing money and for the prestige to say you play for Man Utd, which holds a lot of weight. But, right now, if you want to further your career and play in a side that isn't targeted for negative criticism more than positive, then Utd would be a bad choice.

In the Fergie years, especially late 90s and throughout the 00s, Man Utd were one of, if not the, top club to play for in world and European football. Nowadays they drop down the pecking order.

I'd feel now, if Kane were to switch to United there would be a layer of awkwardness to the move, since the gap isn't big enough between them. Whereas 6/8 years ago, if Kane goes to United, there is a that hiding place (for lack of better description) that a 'competitive gap' provides after a big move where the switch can't be questioned.

10 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

Another chance to bash United. Why not. 

Why did players choose City and Chelsea and Liverpool when they were shite. Oh yeah, money. Like every other fucking player out there.

Next.

You'll get over it, sunshine.

• Subscriber

Maybe I was a bit harsh with what I said earlier considering we've seen transfers go for things far less than who the club really is. United supporters obviously want the best/upcoming players coming to their club and I highly doubt with the transfer environment we live in where people are moving for such exorbitant fees that we won't see players go there. But I still think you have to ask yourself whether you'd go there if you didn't have reassurances that they had a long-term plan and how you fit into it. 

12 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Maybe I was a bit harsh with what I said earlier considering we've seen transfers go for things far less than who the club really is. United supporters obviously want the best/upcoming players coming to their club and I highly doubt with the transfer environment we live in where people are moving for such exorbitant fees that we won't see players go there. But I still think you have to ask yourself whether you'd go there if you didn't have reassurances that they had a long-term plan and how you fit into it. 

The days where players picked and chose their destinations for success aren’t really around anymore in my humble opinion. Like any other job, players will go where the money is as it’s a short, but lucrative career. Not many players left making decisions solely based on the merits of winning trophies.

• Subscriber

Liverpool still managed to attract players like Xabi Alonso, Torres and Suarez when they were this shite for longer than United have been so I don't see why players wouldn't still go there. Pogba and Sanchez are among those that have still joined up recently. If City or Barcelona are sniffing around instead then they'll get shoulder barged out of the way but they're still an attractive club to play for. They still have the money, stadium, prestige and infastructure to attract top players and convince most that they're always only a couple of years away from being a serious proposition again.

• Subscriber
24 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

The days where players picked and chose their destinations for success aren’t really around anymore in my humble opinion. Like any other job, players will go where the money is as it’s a short, but lucrative career. Not many players left making decisions solely based on the merits of winning trophies.

i think you're right because at the end of the day it is a job. I mean we've seen some ridiculous transfers over the last five years to indicate the same and I doubt its the end of it all either. You'll will come good within the next five years but you'll are also going to have to do some serious restructuring to get that to work right. That doesn't just translate to the players and the manager alone your whole hierarchy needs some change.

2 hours ago, Mel81x said:

That doesn't just translate to the players and the manager alone your whole hierarchy needs some change.

The problem is that Ferguson and Edwards (then Gill) ran the club till the silly dickhead got his pants in a twist over a horse and the club got sold to the Glazers. Martin Edwards and David Gill were football men, blokes that knew the intricacies of signing the right player, knowing other clubs chairman and had ties to uefa and fifa. We have absolutely ZERO footballing people in the club hierarchy. Woodward can’t even name one when asked. Until he’s gone, we’re absolutely doomed to spend eternity in mid table. The money keeps rolling in so he thinks his job is done. 

Archived